Author Topic: Where to start? Bridging a 2-generation gap in 18th century Northumberland  (Read 891 times)

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I've got a pretty thorough knowledge of my GGG-grandfather's generation, born around the 1810s. 

I've now found a throwaway comment in a 1918 newspaper article from when his sister died: their "great-grandfather was 106 when he died" - no more detail given.

It would be great to find their great-grandfather, but I'd been struggling even to find their parents with confidence.  I know their names from a Scottish death certificate: surname BURNS, CLARK.  In the 19th century, this was essentially a Northumberland family, with some moves into Berwickshire/Roxburghshire as time went on.

Any tips on where to start, beyond the standard backward-parish-record-trawl - or even if this tidbit of information about him can help the search in some way? 
Co Durham BROOKS / Northumberland BURNS / Fogo ALCORN, DODDS / Whitby LINTON, STONEHOUSE, GRAHAM / Stirlingshire BROWN, MCLACHLAN, JOHNSTONE / Blackford (Perthshire) DAVIDSON, MURRAY / St Andrews KIRK, HAY / Leith, Orkney GROUNDWATER, EUNSON / Edinburgh HUTTON, WRIGHT, BLAIR, CHISHOLM, GREGOR

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Where to start? Bridging a 2-generation gap in 18th century Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 21:00 BST (UK) »
I've just been doing a bit of number-crunching to make a start...

There's a good possibility I've found the parent's marriage, in 1810. 

If we assume each marriage occurs 30-40 years before the next, that puts the great-grandparents' marriage in 1730-1750. 

If we assume the man got married between age 20 and 30, that puts his birth in 1700-1730. 

We're told he died age 106, so that gives death date between 1806-1836 (given the above assumptions).  There's at least 25% chance his surname was Burns, and at least 25% chance it was Clark.
Co Durham BROOKS / Northumberland BURNS / Fogo ALCORN, DODDS / Whitby LINTON, STONEHOUSE, GRAHAM / Stirlingshire BROWN, MCLACHLAN, JOHNSTONE / Blackford (Perthshire) DAVIDSON, MURRAY / St Andrews KIRK, HAY / Leith, Orkney GROUNDWATER, EUNSON / Edinburgh HUTTON, WRIGHT, BLAIR, CHISHOLM, GREGOR

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 21:11 BST (UK) »
Isnt there a way of searching on SP with death age surely there can't be many over 100 in any parish

Or is it compulsory to fill in surnames

Does your family have tradition of naming children after ancestors. Look at all siblings inneach generation

If they followed traditional scottish naming patterns you may find a middle name which is the surname of a grandfather or even great-grandfather
Leading you back a couple of generations
Good luck
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 21:15 BST (UK) »
I've just checked GRO deaths 1837-1874 for males aged 104-108, with surnames:
Burns + similar sounding
Burn
Clark + similar sounding

Turned up 1 result:
James Clarke d 1851 Jul-Sep Liverpool age 106

I guess next step is to do the same with the Scottish records.  (Yes I'm aware this has become a one-sided conversation but it's helping my brainworks to flow - you're welcome for the ride and please do lend advice!)

Thanks brigicmac, great suggestions!  No middle names in my GGG-grandfather's generation but I'll jump on that tip if I find any middle names.

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 21:31 BST (UK) »
Scotland's People statutory deaths 1855-1880, age 104-108:
(yep, turns out you have to provide at least one name)

Burns + name variants:
0 results (except the 192 with no death age listed)

Clark + name variants:
1 result (except the 351 with no death age listed)

Patrick Clark d 1868 St Clements

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 21:36 BST (UK) »
1851 - 106 = 1745.  1811 (year my GGG-grandfather was born) - 1745 = 66.  66/3 = 22.  So that makes 22 years per generation.  Doable.

1868 ... same procedure ... fewer than 17 years per generation.  Very unlikely, unless there's something I don't know about the 18th century.

On to the parish records, oh joy...

Edit:  Actually, I'll do census checks for those guys first.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 22:02 BST (UK) »
Great finds and thought processes brooks

Maybe the long living Clarke man from Liverpool is worth checking up on finding out his parents siblings etc
Longevity runs in families so on off chance he could be a relation

Anyone have access to newspaper records . ? Any idea where the original families came from
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 22:19 BST (UK) »
Any idea where the original families came from

Some of the newspaper articles about the old lady suggested she was descended from the poet Robert Burns, but I think that's just made up - after all, it would only be a couple of generations back, and the possible candidate for her father, John Burns, was from Ellingham - further away from Scotland.  John and his sons were shepherds.

I will check newspapers too.

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 22:38 BST (UK) »
oops, double post