Author Topic: The Nottinghamshire raccoon  (Read 1241 times)

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Nottinghamshire raccoon
« on: Tuesday 08 June 21 23:00 BST (UK) »
1846.  On Thursday morning, a raccoon, of an unusually large size, was discovered in the hen-roost of Mr. Clark, farmer, at Watnall, near Nottingham.  On examination, it was found that the intruder had made a meal of two game-cocks, five fowls, and one duck.

SO MANY QUESTIONS.
Co Durham BROOKS / Northumberland BURNS / Fogo ALCORN, DODDS / Whitby LINTON, STONEHOUSE, GRAHAM / Stirlingshire BROWN, MCLACHLAN, JOHNSTONE / Blackford (Perthshire) DAVIDSON, MURRAY / St Andrews KIRK, HAY / Leith, Orkney GROUNDWATER, EUNSON / Edinburgh HUTTON, WRIGHT, BLAIR, CHISHOLM, GREGOR

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: The Nottinghamshire raccoon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 23:20 BST (UK) »
Well, a big one can weigh 50 lbs and if he was hungry ....
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 23:35 BST (UK) »
I think even I would slow down somewhere around the third chicken, no matter how hungry I was!

Not to mention it being on the wrong side of the Atlantic.  And a long way from the nearest port.
Co Durham BROOKS / Northumberland BURNS / Fogo ALCORN, DODDS / Whitby LINTON, STONEHOUSE, GRAHAM / Stirlingshire BROWN, MCLACHLAN, JOHNSTONE / Blackford (Perthshire) DAVIDSON, MURRAY / St Andrews KIRK, HAY / Leith, Orkney GROUNDWATER, EUNSON / Edinburgh HUTTON, WRIGHT, BLAIR, CHISHOLM, GREGOR

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 00:35 BST (UK) »
I wonder if it got away from a zoo?
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 00:42 BST (UK) »
1846  -  Probably a pet that got too big and mean to handle and was released to fend for itself.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 June 21 14:20 BST (UK) »
When we lived in British Columbia, we used to get a family of raccoons bimbling through our garden and climbing up over the fence, with the help of a branch from an overgrown shrub.  When the shrub got too big to handle, I suggested a large pair of loppers to get rid of it.  Himself did the deed...but left the stem so momma raccoon could get the babies up and over the fence what a big softie!  Those were in the days when we thought they were amusing (although let's face it, they had just as much right to be there is we did).  However, that all changed the evening we heard this tearing sound from above the kitchen...a wander outside showed Rocky eating his way through the wooden roof.  We got it repaired, but he kept coming back despite the various objects we threw at him each time - so before we left, we had to have the whole roof replaced; needless to say, it was not made of wood! ;D
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 June 21 14:35 BST (UK) »
Mid 1800 was a hey day for travelling menagery shows so likely one of their raccoons escaped
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 July 21 01:37 BST (UK) »
When we lived in British Columbia, we used to get a family of raccoons bimbling through our garden and climbing up over the fence, with the help of a branch from an overgrown shrub.  When the shrub got too big to handle, I suggested a large pair of loppers to get rid of it.  Himself did the deed...but left the stem so momma raccoon could get the babies up and over the fence what a big softie!  Those were in the days when we thought they were amusing (although let's face it, they had just as much right to be there is we did).  However, that all changed the evening we heard this tearing sound from above the kitchen...a wander outside showed Rocky eating his way through the wooden roof.  We got it repaired, but he kept coming back despite the various objects we threw at him each time - so before we left, we had to have the whole roof replaced; needless to say, it was not made of wood! ;D

My daughter sent me a video recently of a mama raccoon and at least four babies she thinks are living under her porch.  Reminded her not to leave anything about that they might want to eat.
Had one raccoon sighting here this spring, large one sitting on our patio, looking into the basement window.