Author Topic: Requesting a Visit to St.Michaels, Cotleigh (please)  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Requesting a Visit to St.Michaels, Cotleigh (please)
« on: Wednesday 09 June 21 10:31 BST (UK) »
I'm researching a number of my ancestors who were reverends of St.Micheals, Cotleigh; Rev Maximilian Wolcot (1700's), then 3 generations of Revs Michell (from late 1700's to 1800's). I have all the relevent records/newspaper articles pertaining to them, but I would like to know if there are any plaques, memorials or other references to them inside the church.

In 2018 I visited the church (from Australia) but it was locked. I tried the church warden's phone number but was unsucessful. Before my visit I messaged the local commnity website (which includes contacting the rector) without response, and have done so again recently without response. From my research indicates Rev Wolcott and the Michell reverends (and members of their families) were buried there, but I did not see one headstone pertaining to their names on my visit.

I was hoping a visit inside the church might be an option to see any records of their names, and to photograph those records. Unfortunately, I will never have the opportunity to visit the church again.

Thank you

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting a Visit to St.Michaels, Cotleigh (please)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 14:54 BST (UK) »
There are no memorials according to https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1098246 apart from a WWI memorial.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 20:17 BST (UK) »
The CCED has him as Woolcott.

Magna Brittannia et Hibernia - Antiqua & Nova, MDCCXX
DEVONSHIRE

Feniton; Hundred - Hayrudge**; Deanery - R Plimtree**; Valuation - £16 18s 5d; Patron - Mrs R Tross, Wid; Incumbent - Mr Max Woolcott; Seats - _____

Think these are "Hayridge" and "Plymtree".

As you have explained you have all the relevant records. If I have posted info already obtained, apologies.

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 June 21 10:39 BST (UK) »
The CCED has him as Woolcott.

Magna Brittannia et Hibernia - Antiqua & Nova, MDCCXX
DEVONSHIRE

Feniton; Hundred - Hayrudge**; Deanery - R Plimtree**; Valuation - £16 18s 5d; Patron - Mrs R Tross, Wid; Incumbent - Mr Max Woolcott; Seats - _____

Think these are "Hayridge" and "Plymtree".

As you have explained you have all the relevant records. If I have posted info already obtained, apologies.

Yes, there are a number of variants in the spelling of Woolcott/Wolcott/Woolcot etc I think I have the majority of the records/newspaper articles assosciated with this person, but thank you for your help.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 June 21 10:43 BST (UK) »
There are no memorials according to https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1098246 apart from a WWI memorial.

Thanks for checking that - doesn't sound too promising. Hopefully, there might just a plaque or something similar of a even a minor notation that may be inside the church?

Les

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 June 21 13:25 BST (UK) »
If you google the church, selecting 'images' the interior looks fairly spartan.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 June 21 15:06 BST (UK) »
If you google the church, selecting 'images' the interior looks fairly spartan.

Thanks - I tried Google images, but couldn't really see any interior shots of the church. I'll take your word for it, so I may be resigned to that fact that my request may not be worth the effort? However, will still keep it open it just in case.................

Les