Author Topic: How does one catch gonorrhoea?  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: How does one catch gonorrhoea?
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 12 June 21 12:52 BST (UK) »
"Love" is French =  l'oeuf = the egg = nil  =  nought = zero = zilch = nada .

Good heavens. It has only taken 56 years for me to learn that. Thanks, Rena!
Despite my (grammar) school insisting that we all play tennis, they never explained the history of the terminology. Well, there you go...

I love this forum.  :-*
And I must admit to having thoroughly enjoyed following this thread.  8)

Thanks, boys 'n girls,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How does one catch gonorrhoea?
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 12 June 21 15:03 BST (UK) »
Well, ummm  .... back in the 1810s, in NSW, the newly appointed governor, Lachlan Macquarie,  issued some General Orders   ..... if anyone is interested,  RCHATS search engine for "criminal intercourse" may well return threads where I have posted live links to the then Government Gazettes with the Orders and the lengthy explanations as to why they were issued.

"Criminal conversation" was a term for adultery in England in 18th century.
One of my ancestors was pregnant 3 times without being married, during the first half of the 1860's, the first baby born when she was 18. It was at the time of the Lancashire Cotton Famine. An estimated quarter of the population of her town were receiving Poor Relief. I have suspicions about reasons for the pregnancies, some not pleasant. The man she eventually married when she was 27 wasn't the father of her children. Some unemployed cotton operatives turned to prostitution during the Cotton Famine.
My ancestor seemed to be following family tradition. Her eldest aunt had 3 pregnancies as a "Singlewoman" from her late teens to mid-20s, only surviving child was brought up by grandparents.   
Cowban