Author Topic: How does one catch gonorrhoea?  (Read 4047 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: How does one catch gonorrhoea?
« Reply #45 on: Friday 11 June 21 18:57 BST (UK) »
How do you catch it?

It is a sexually transmitted infection (STI) caused by bacteria called Neisseria gonorrhoeae or gonococcus.... often without clear visable symptoms in women so many didn't even know they had it  so also  passed from a mother to her baby during childbirth, so children could be born with it, however it also caused unfertility and ectopic pregnancy, so when researching FH I do wonder at times those who married and died within the first year of marriage or didn't have children if potentially it was because of gonorrhoea.
Now treated with antibiotics however it was not until 1928 that penicillin, the first true antibiotic was 'invented'  until then other 'treatments' were used to kill the bacteria but even they didn't happen until 20th century
History of treatments http://www.antimicrobe.org/h04c.files/history/Gonorrhea.asp
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 11 June 21 19:06 BST (UK) »
Several years ago there was a programme where a doctor was explaining to an amateur family history researcher the reason why so many children born to a couple in her tree had died and why a few had survived.   Apparently there was a classic pattern to child survival when parents had VD..

Could someone explain what this pattern is, if anyone knows? I am sure I have seen or read something before, but cannot find it.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 11 June 21 19:14 BST (UK) »
That could be Syphilis ,there is a window of time when symptoms sort of go into remission, people thought they were cured ,sadly not .
In the case of Sir  Randolph Churchill ,Winston was not born with it ,but it
was the  cause of death of his father.
It is a complex subject ,but babies can be born with it and also Gonorrhoea can give an unborn baby some symptoms.
It was standard practice to wipe a new born’s  eyes with silver nitrate to make sure they had not been infected during birth.
Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 11 June 21 19:35 BST (UK) »
You said “ as long as it is between consenting adults it does not matter who you have sex with” .
“ You can be a decent person by caring for others etc,sex does not come into that.”

Well I see a greater picture, it would seem to please
yourself and not care who that hurts is OK with you, if you want to sleep,with them.

Never mind the possibility of a broken home, etc etc .
You can’t go through life pleasing yourself at the expense of others ,so your statement thst being decent is about caring for others etc ,is that all others except those you would sleep with never mind if they have wives/ partners and children.?
I think the term is “ Hoist by your own petard”.
Viktoria.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 11 June 21 19:54 BST (UK) »
Several years ago there was a programme where a doctor was explaining to an amateur family history researcher the reason why so many children born to a couple in her tree had died and why a few had survived.   Apparently there was a classic pattern to child survival when parents had VD..

Could someone explain what this pattern is, if anyone knows? I am sure I have seen or read something before, but cannot find it.

Once upon a time I could remember minutiae - unfortunately that's not now the case.  I vaguely recall that some babies were stillborn, others lived a very short while and others could live until two years old, yet others in the same family lived into adulthood.  I think it depended on timing, but can't recall what timing !!

Just like you, I have been unable to find any online documentation setting out the the specific and various whys and wherefors of diseases visited on unborn children by their parents in earlier centuries..

https://www.cdc.gov/std/syphilis/stdfact-congenital-syphilis.htm
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 11 June 21 20:03 BST (UK) »
if you're going to use quotation marks, Viktoria, you need to quote accurately rather than paraphrase.

what I actually said is:

I don't consider it appropriate to issue value judgements about another person based on their sex life, as long as that sex life is between consenting adults.

I believe you can be a DECENT human being by caring for the world around you and those in it and by working to help people. Who you have sex with (as long as it's another consenting adult) doesn't come into that. You could be totally monogamous with your partner, yet be the most horrible selfish cruel person in other respects - that would not make you "decent".

I am not a lawyer but I believe that using inaccurate "quotes" and attributing them to another person is covered by the libel laws.

You may feel able to judge others. I prefer not to.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 11 June 21 20:12 BST (UK) »
Now now Chatters, don’t you think it’s time to cool it? I am sure the OP was asking a simple question, not expecting to start a verbal battle.  ::)
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 11 June 21 20:12 BST (UK) »
I gave the gist of two sentences ,to save me going back .

Your meaning was not altered.
Viktoria.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 11 June 21 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I too am concerned.  My concern is that, to me, Annie's post reads as though it is threatening Viktoria with legal action.   

if you're going to use quotation marks, Viktoria, you need to quote accurately rather than paraphrase.

what I actually said is:

I don't consider it appropriate to issue value judgements about another person based on their sex life, as long as that sex life is between consenting adults.

I believe you can be a DECENT human being by caring for the world around you and those in it and by working to help people. Who you have sex with (as long as it's another consenting adult) doesn't come into that. You could be totally monogamous with your partner, yet be the most horrible selfish cruel person in other respects - that would not make you "decent".

I am not a lawyer but I believe that using inaccurate "quotes" and attributing them to another person is covered by the libel laws.

You may feel able to judge others. I prefer not to.

I await assurance that there is no hectoring intended.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.