Author Topic: Question about Yorks and Lancashire Transport Workers Battalion  (Read 218 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Question about Yorks and Lancashire Transport Workers Battalion
« on: Wednesday 09 June 21 13:21 BST (UK) »
I'm looking at the records of a relative who was in the Yorks and Lancashire Transport Workers Battalion. I think he was in the 16th battalion although it says battalion or depot so it could be either.

I'm trying to find an image of a uniform or badge that they might have worn. I can find the one for the second and first battalions, but not anything else. Would it have been the same or did they just not have a uniform.

This relative was in ship building and as far as I am aware served in England for the entire war, if that's relevant at all.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Yorks and Lancashire Transport Workers Battalion
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 14:25 BST (UK) »
From The Long, Long Trail website:

York and Lancaster Regiment

16th (Transport Workers) Battalion
Formed at Colsterdale in March 1916. Moved to Durham in December 1916 and then Catterick in November 1917 where it then remained. Army Council Instruction 1488 of 1916 defined the establishment of the battalion as being much larger than a normal battalion of infantry. Organised into eight companies, it would have 24 officers, 8 Warrant Officers, 65 Sergeants and 1415 other men.

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/york-lancaster-regiment/

Regimental badge can be seen here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_and_Lancaster_Regiment
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Yorks and Lancashire Transport Workers Battalion
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 16:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, that is all very helpful.

I had seen from his record he spent some time in Catterick and wondered why but now I know.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*