Author Topic: CULLEN, McGEOUGH (possibly Armagh: Ballymore and Mullabrack parish)  (Read 1815 times)

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CULLEN, McGEOUGH (possibly Armagh: Ballymore and Mullabrack parish)
« on: Wednesday 09 June 21 18:27 BST (UK) »
Here's my Irish brickwall.  Well - one of them...

Daniel Cullen
lived in Glasgow most of his life but was from Ireland.

Known to be him:

MARRIAGE
Glasgow, St Vincent Chapel (Catholic)
1872 Jul 15
to Jane McMullen (elsewhere McMullan/McMillan)
Parents: Michael Cullen, farmer.  Susanna McGeogh, deceased.

Jane died 1874.

MARRIAGE
Glasgow, St Andrew's Chapel (Catholic)
1876 Apr 24
to Elizabeth Blaney
Parents: Michael Cullen, farmer.  Susanna McGeoch, deceased.

CENSUSES:  Consistently living in Glasgow, born in Ireland, carter/driver.
1881 age27
1891 age39
1901 age47
1911 age59

DEATH
Glasgow
1916 Apr 06
Parents: Michael Cullen, labourer, deceased.  Catherine McKeogh, deceased.

Potentially him:

CENSUS 1871
Glasgow, Bridgeton, 254 Dalmarnock Road
Age 20
Lodger.  Carter.

Possible BIRTH:
Co Armagh, Ballymore and Mullabrack parish (Catholic) - parish registers
1849 Jul 16
Parents: Mi..l Cullen, Susanna McGeough

I don't know how common these names are (i.e. is it a coincidence) and his birthdate in known documents as above varies from 1850 to 1854 - average around 1852 - so this is a bit early.

If it IS him - well, I can't find any more about the family in Ireland, and would love to.

Miscellaneous:

No evidence found of his parents/siblings in Scotland.
Both his wives were also Irish; Jane lived with her mother and siblings in Glasgow.

Any tips?  Let me know if you need more detail on the evidence above.
Co Durham BROOKS / Northumberland BURNS / Fogo ALCORN, DODDS / Whitby LINTON, STONEHOUSE, GRAHAM / Stirlingshire BROWN, MCLACHLAN, JOHNSTONE / Blackford (Perthshire) DAVIDSON, MURRAY / St Andrews KIRK, HAY / Leith, Orkney GROUNDWATER, EUNSON / Edinburgh HUTTON, WRIGHT, BLAIR, CHISHOLM, GREGOR

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: CULLEN, McGEOUGH (possibly Armagh: Ballymore and Mullabrack parish)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 June 21 01:14 BST (UK) »
What about this Daniel Cullen in the 1871 Scotland Census that more closely matches the 1849 birth date:

Name:   Daniel Cullen
Estimated Birth Year:   abt 1849
Relationship:   Boarder
Where born:   Ireland
Registration Number:   644/10
Registration district:   Hutchesontown
Civil parish:   Glasgow Govan
County:   Lanarkshire
Address:   155 Caledonia Rd
ED:   29
Household schedule number:   67
Line:   8
Roll:   CSSCT1871_141

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 June 21 01:18 BST (UK) »
I would give a thumbs up to the 1849 baptism.  McGeogh is not a common name.  The same couple had a daughter Mary baptised on 18 February 1853, a daughter Elizabeth baptised on 27 June 1847, a daughter Mary Ann baptised on 1 September 1855, and a son William baptized 19 April 1844.

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 June 21 10:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks eileenwilson for your help.  It's wonderful to find all those siblings!!  Is there any way to trace what became of them, and of his parents?  He seems to have known that his mother was dead by 1872 (first marriage certificate).

I'd considered a few 1871 census possibilities but hadn't spotted that one before.  I'm still inclined to say the 254 Dalmarnock Road is correct, because there he's a carter, lodging with the head of household who is also a carter, which was then Daniel's occupation for his whole life.  It also matches the age shown on all the other Scottish records which I know to be him.

Is it possible he forgot how old he was at some point before reaching Scotland?  I understand that many people from Catholic farming families at the time were illiterate, so maybe he just lost track of the details.  Or maybe he even got separated from his family when quite small - it was in the famine period, after all.  This is all conjecture, in case someone with better understanding of the society can shed more light.

Or another possibility:  This Daniel born in 1849 then died, and my Daniel was born around 1852 (as happened with Mary).
Co Durham BROOKS / Northumberland BURNS / Fogo ALCORN, DODDS / Whitby LINTON, STONEHOUSE, GRAHAM / Stirlingshire BROWN, MCLACHLAN, JOHNSTONE / Blackford (Perthshire) DAVIDSON, MURRAY / St Andrews KIRK, HAY / Leith, Orkney GROUNDWATER, EUNSON / Edinburgh HUTTON, WRIGHT, BLAIR, CHISHOLM, GREGOR

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 June 21 11:36 BST (UK) »
There is a Michael Cullen in Griffiths Valuation (taken around 1860) in the townland of Clare in the parish of Ballymore. A tenant of Henry Loftie and also subletting a piece of land to a James McBerney. This land was no longer in Cullen hands by 1876.

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 June 21 16:47 BST (UK) »
There is a Michael Cullen in Griffiths Valuation (taken around 1860) in the townland of Clare in the parish of Ballymore. A tenant of Henry Loftie and also subletting a piece of land to a James McBerney. This land was no longer in Cullen hands by 1876.

Thanks for this!  I wasn't sure how to use Griffiths before but now I've searched at www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/ and found the 1863 details - can I ask, how did you check the 1876 one?

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 June 21 16:59 BST (UK) »
You can view and use the Valuation Revision Books at https://apps.proni.gov.uk/Val12B/Search.aspx .
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 October 21 07:35 BST (UK) »
I found these which may be Daniel's parents:

Deaths:
Michael Cullen
born: 1806
died: 5 May 1866 Armagh, Co. Armagh

Susanna Cullen
born: 1817
died: 3 August 1867 Clane, Co Armagh

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 10:59 GMT (UK) »
I found these which may be Daniel's parents:

Thank you!  I've only just seen your message.   :)