Author Topic: Dorothy Florence Thorne d 1932  (Read 698 times)

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
Dorothy Florence Thorne d 1932
« on: Wednesday 09 June 21 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am interested in a 1932 Sydney case of the death of Dorothy Thorne ,the 33 year old wife of Reginald Cecil Thorne .
She died from poisoning . The case was covered in the newspapers, but although I have looked on line and there is an article on Ancestry, I cannot find out what eventually happened. Was it a case of foul play? Or something else? Anyway, her husband left the country with their daughter and came back to England from whence he came.
He is a distant relative and the story emerged when I was putting him on the tree.
Any info on this would be most interesting. Thanks.
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dorothy Florence Thorne d 1932
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 20:27 BST (UK) »
Nothing happened.  There was an open verdict and a reward offered but it remained unsolved.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/220263682

Debra  :)

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 21:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks, but I wonder if anyone came forward for the reward. Could be a ‘Poirot’ case, very intriguing.

Offline emilypos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 June 21 14:21 BST (UK) »
Found a couple of interesting items ............Go to https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/ theres a search bar a tad down the front page  > type in Dorothy Florence THORNE . Are 2 items > she left a will dated 13 Oct 1925 leaving all of 5,100 pounds to her husband . Theres also a Deceased Estate file of 7 Sep 1936 . D E files   were an inventory of possesions  for calculating death duty payable.. Wonder what caused the delay between her death and date of DE file ?

FindMyPast has NSW Wills Books to 1952 . State records have a copy service for wills and DE files

I wonder when he left Aus ? ......... Quite late and have to turn off for the night

Bye

Emilypos

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 June 21 20:44 BST (UK) »

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 11:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry to have taken so long to reply . Thanks for the further information. In my opinion it had to be the husband or lodger who did it., but maybe she wasn’t the intended victim. Two men and one woman living together, well who knows!!
The husband went back to the U.K. in 1935. He lived with his unmarried sister and his daughter until his death in 1945. We will never know what really happened.
Anyway thanks again for all your help.

Offline emilypos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 14:22 BST (UK) »
No worries...... Were you able to get copy of the docs I mentioned ? 
Found a couple of other  interesting items. Reginald Cecil  THORNE  departed Sydney with dau Joan b 6 Dec 1930 Sydney on the Jervis Bay arriving Southampton 28 Jan 1935 .
Dorothy THORNE d  5 Jul 1932 left a will 5000 pounds to Reginald only, probate granted 1 Nov 1932  Re the deceased estate file duty wasnt paid til 7 Sep 1936 ? By whom ??  DE files can be very interesting ............

I think he might have swum here as cant find any ref to his arrival . The Aus National Archives hold  2 files on patents for an  invention  of his  . NSW State Archives have ref to 2 business files  and an Instestacy file ......(he didnt leave a will ) . He d 24 Oct 1945 .Probate not granted til 28 Jan 1948 via Permanent Trustee Co Sydney . 645 pounds This comes  up in NSW records
Joan married a Mark DANIEL in 1951 Brighton. She probably benifited

Bye

Emilypos

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 12:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry once again for delay in replying. He didn’t have much money left did he? And he had inventions? He also said his father was an officer in the Indian army, a fabrication from what I know of his father.
Seems odd. Poor woman though.