Author Topic: Maps showing building numbers  (Read 875 times)

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maps showing building numbers
« on: Wednesday 09 June 21 23:31 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have a good go-to source for UK maps showing building numbers (in the past, of course!)  For instance, I'm trying to find 136 High Street, Glasgow in 1872-73.  Had quite a long go at NLS maps.nls.uk to no avail.
Co Durham BROOKS / Northumberland BURNS / Fogo ALCORN, DODDS / Whitby LINTON, STONEHOUSE, GRAHAM / Stirlingshire BROWN, MCLACHLAN, JOHNSTONE / Blackford (Perthshire) DAVIDSON, MURRAY / St Andrews KIRK, HAY / Leith, Orkney GROUNDWATER, EUNSON / Edinburgh HUTTON, WRIGHT, BLAIR, CHISHOLM, GREGOR

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maps showing building numbers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 June 21 00:26 BST (UK) »
The best was of going about it is probably to use the Post Office directory nearest the year. That will allow you to identify roughly where a number was by comparing it with ones that are listed. The Glasgow directories can be read on-line free on the National Library Of Scotland website.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maps showing building numbers
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 June 21 06:15 BST (UK) »
The Goad insurance maps are detailed but I don’t think they show numbers. I find them quite tricky to use.

I don’t know if this link will work as I hope - it is supposed to take you to part of High Street, Glasgow:
https://britishlibrary.georeferencer.com/compare#

Were the family at the same address in the 1871 census? If they are, I would normally suggest looking at the neighbours to try to narrow down the location of the address.