Author Topic: Obit John Watterson, died July 16,1890 in Newmarket, New Hampshire  (Read 2066 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Obit John Watterson, died July 16,1890 in Newmarket, New Hampshire
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 09:28 BST (UK) »
Massachusetts Passenger List - Andrew J Waterson - 1853 - aged 17 years.
Departure Place Liverpool to Boston MA
Arrival Date 13 Oct 1870 Siberia.
(no other Watterson travelling)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 13:48 BST (UK) »
Andrew's dob doesn't fit for him to be a brother to either John or Martha who were both born 1824 whereas Andrew j. was born 1853.

I think you may have misinterpreted what I was saying. When I said Martha and Andrew were 1st cousins, I was referring to  Martha McGall. Andrew's birth of 1853 fits in perfectly with the births of the children of John & Martha. This could/would mean Andrew's father was a brother to John Watterson  b. 1824 or the Martha Watterson b. 1824 who was married to John.

George Watterson -b 1850
Margaret  b 1854
Richard Watterson- b 1860
Martha Watterson McGall - 1865

Andrew J Watterson - 1853

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 14:09 BST (UK) »
I checked Andrew's marriage record, but that was no help.

Andrew Watterson and Emma French were married in Maine. Maine's marriage records are great  when it comes to additional information about the couple's family, even back in the 1880s. Unfortunately, almost everything on the cards was left blank, including parents names and birthplace.

Marriage-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2HK3-1ZT
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2H28-ZP9

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 15:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, Sandra and RJ137 for checking out Andrew's marriage and travel records. Too bad there are so many blanks on the marriage record and no specific people named in his obit, not even his wife.
You are right, RJ137, I was thinking wrong about Andrew's relationship to John and Martha Watterson. I have quite a bit of info about the children of John's brothers (John born 1824) and Andrew doesn't seem to fit. One of John's brothers was the Richard Watterson that we have followed to his death in Missouri in 1910. Richard was in Ohio before 1859 and I doubt that he would have emigrated without a 6 yr old Andrew. His brother Thomas didn't marry until 1861. His brother William was in Quebec by 1847. Martha born 1824 is a different story-I have no brothers for her but there could likely be some. I only have 2 sisters but there were usually more children in the family in that time frame.
You have done a great analysis of the family RJ137. Martha born 1824 had a sister Margaret Leacock nee Watterson who died in Manchester, NH Aug 25, 1903 and Andrew doesn't mention her family in his obit. There was another sister Matilda that I haveno info on past her baptism in 1826 in Ireland.
Thanks again for all your help Sandra and RJ137.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland