Author Topic: Francis George Woodhouse - please help!  (Read 2976 times)

Offline EmmaDean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Francis George Woodhouse - please help!
« on: Thursday 10 June 21 06:58 BST (UK) »
He​​​llo!

I am really hoping that someone might be able to help as I have hit a brick wall in my research and don't know where to turn next! I am trying to track down my great-great grandfather, Francis George Woodhouse.

All seems well from 1901 onwards (in that I can at least find records relating to him), but I am really struggling to find anything before then.  Here is what I know:

From what I can establish (this is from the 1939 England and Wales register), Francis was born on the 21st April.  I am not sure whether the year of birth is 1877 (as stated on the Register), or 1875 (as is stated on what I believe is a reference to his service file number with the Military of Defence);

In the 1901 Census, I believe I have a record of Francis being based at Plymouth barracks.  I believe that record states that he is a Bombadier with the Royal Garrison Artillery;
Francis married Ellen Maud Britton at Portsmouth Registry Office on the 28th September 1901;

Sometime between then and 1902, Francis and Ellen moved to India.  This was presumably because of Francis' position in the army.  In 1902, their daughter Dorothy Maud Woodhouse was born, followed by Gerald Britton Woodhouse in 1904, Annie Lilian Woodhouse in 1906 and Frederick Thomas Woodhouse in 1907.  Sometime between then and 1909, the family returned to the UK and their youngest daughter, Phyllis Kathleen Woodhouse, was born in 1909.  I believe that she was born in Woolwich barracks;

In the 1911 Census, Francis is stated as being based at Woolwich barracks.  He is stated as being a Sergeant in the 48th Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery;

I have other records for Francis, including his Medal Index Card.  From that, I believe that he was commissioned in 1916 and he held the ranks of Battery Sergeant Major, Lieutenant and Captain.  The 'theatre of war' is stated as being Mesopotamia;

Francis' son, Gerald, was killed in a shooting incident at Barry Buddon camp in Dundee, in 1929.  This was quite widely reported in the media, which is how I really began my research on Francis.  In the reports, he is stated as being a retired Captain of the Royal Garrison Artillery;

I have located the death registration record for Francis and obtained a copy of the death certificate.  He died on the 15th September 1947 at 77 Heavitree Road in Exeter. I am not sure whether this was a hospital? At the time, he lived at 138 Monks Road, Exeter;

I have located a burial record for Francis.  He was buried on the 18th September 1947 in Higher Cemetery, Exeter.  This is almost certainly correct as this is the same cemetery in which Gerald is buried. Having checked the burial index cards, I have noted that Ellen is buried at the same cemetery as well;

The Census records state that Francis was born in Plymouth, Devon, (St Andrew’s, according to the 1901 census) however, I cannot find any connecting birth registration record;

The marriage certificate states Francis' father as being 'Thomas Woodhouse', however, I cannot find any record connecting a Thomas Woodhouse with a Francis Woodhouse. I believe that this ‘Thomas’ could also have been in the military as the marriage certificate states his occupation as being ‘Pensioner R.h’ which I understand is a reference to Royal Hospital, Chelsea;

There is another Francis George Woodhouse who was born in September 1875 in London.  His father is James Woodhouse.  I believe, therefore, that these are not the same people.

That is the main information I have been able to find so far.  It is very frustrating (and odd??!) that I cannot seem to find any record of Francis before 1901.  Is there anyone who might be able to help me unravel this mystery?!

Thank you so much in advance for any help anyone might be able to give me in tracking down my great-great grandfather before 1901.

Emma

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Francis George Woodhouse - please help!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 June 21 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,

We've been corresponding about this on The Genealogist forum.

Have you seen that the army lists have a different birthdate for him - 30 April 1877: https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/89294649?mode=transcription
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 June 21 10:19 BST (UK) »
77 Heavitree Road in Exeter

That is/was Exeter City Hospital.

Offline EmmaDean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 June 21 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,

We've been corresponding about this on The Genealogist forum.

Have you seen that the army lists have a different birthdate for him - 30 April 1877: https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/89294649?mode=transcription

Hi Shaun,

Yes, we have! I’m trying all avenues that crop up as I’m trying to break down this apparent brick wall!

I had noted that date of birth. Which is just even more confusing now as I have multiple different ones: 21st April 1875, 21st April 1877, 21st April 1887 and 30th April 1877. I keep coming up with more questions than answers!

I am probably very ‘wet behind the ears’ when it comes to this family tree malarkey, but I just don’t understand how I can find quite a few records for him (or, at least I think they are for him!) from 1901 onwards, but not before!

Kind regards,

Emma

Offline EmmaDean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 June 21 10:24 BST (UK) »
77 Heavitree Road in Exeter

That is/was Exeter City Hospital.

Thanks, Shaun. Thought so.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 June 21 10:28 BST (UK) »
‘Pensioner R.h'

Is it definitely R h? Not RN ?

Offline EmmaDean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 June 21 10:32 BST (UK) »
‘Pensioner R.h'

Is it definitely R h? Not RN ?

As far as I can tell. What would the significance of the latter be?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 June 21 10:33 BST (UK) »
RN would be Royal Navy

Offline EmmaDean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 June 21 11:38 BST (UK) »
RN would be Royal Navy

Interesting point raised there, Shaun - particularly as I know that William Britton, Francis’s wife’s father, was in the Royal Navy and his occupation is stated as being the same as Thomas’s on the marriage certificate 🤔