Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 9th June  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 9th June
« on: Thursday 10 June 21 07:21 BST (UK) »
It's tricky getting together in groups these days, and I feel much safer outside, despite being fully vaccinated and as protected as possible from the virus, so the latest madcap adventure was for several of us to book a session at the velopark and trundle round the track on bikes for an hour, which was actually quite pleasant as it was very quiet and no traffic to worry about of course.
Two of the group chose to use tricycles, but the saddle was as low as it could go on the bike I was allocated, and I found myself in charge of a two wheeler that I could use as a balance bike if I wished.  A novelty as, in all my cycling years I was never able to reach the ground whilst sitting on a bike.
Being a few days off my 70th birthday, I was the youngest in the group, and I was very proud of my chums, especially the one who braved a turn on my bike to test if she could still manage a two wheeler, which she could.
We sat by the beach and had a cuppa afterwards, before dispersing to our homes for lunch.
The rest of the day was as mundane as usual, but I quite enjoyed the semi final of the Sewing Bee, though I wish there was more sewing time and less of the "comic's" idiotic capering around.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 9th June
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 June 21 08:20 BST (UK) »
Sounds like a fun morning for you all MH..... although it wouldn’t be mine... learnt to ride a bike in my 50’s but never with any confidence... anywhere we ride to round our home involves the main road 😱😱definite no no or bumpy busy country lanes... how lovely to sit by the beach afterwards...

My day was very dull.... not really sure what I did... altered my shopping delivery order... phoned sky yet again re out internet.. another engineer coming out today!...sat out in the sunshine reading for a while...nothing of any note achieved...
Had fish for dinner.... sat outside for quite a while...
Also watched The Sewing Bee.... some nice garments made but I agree too much time spent on the presenter who is a pain in the backside and brings nothing meaningful to the programme....
retired early as had had a dreadful nights sleep and felt exhausted...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 June 21 10:09 BST (UK) »
What larks MH!  :D Sounds like you had great fun. You do realise that having disclosed that your birthday is in a few days you're going to have to tell us when it is? Caroline will want to bake a cake in your honour I'm sure, and eat it in your honour too.  :D

Hope you're feeling better today Caroline, it's miserable when you can't sleep. Good to relax sometimes anyway.

My day:

Not a very eventful day for me either. It was hot in the garden when I went to hang the washing out. Tesco delivery late morning,  NN was out on her front garden the minute the van appeared. What on earth she gets out of noseying at my shopping is beyond me.
Had lunch then put the parasol up and sat in the garden while my food digested. There was a welcome breeze but I like my head in the shade, this was the type of day when I'm grateful for the sea breezes. Went for a walk, it was hot on the field despite the breeze, cooler and very pleasant in the woods. Back home and the garden, I did some bits of weeding and late afternoon I cut the lawn.

Watched the Sewing Bee in the evening, a good one despite the presenter and his rawredges and I agree about his idiotic prancing around. I think the judges should rate the garments on the quality of the sewing and whether it meets the brief rather than other aspects such as whether they personally like the colours. I approved of the results. The final should be interesting.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 June 21 11:03 BST (UK) »
A fun morning for you MH. I do admire you for getting on a bike. It's something, even as a child, I can't do without falling off after a couple of minutes.
Caroline, I feel for you. Not sleeping well is awful, I have nights like that, always have but as I have got older I can't cope with them anymore.
Roobarb, how lovely to feel the sea breeze. I do envy those that live close to the coast.
You all seem to like watching the sewing bee, I haven't watched it, perhaps I should.
I felt quite frazzled yesterday. Hairdressers appointment in the morning. It was very hot, and as I was having foils in I knew I would be there for about 3 hours. Sitting there for 3 hours wearing a mask was a nightmare. I could feel my whole body over heating and felt quite faint at times. I asked why they couldn't open the door to allow some airflow but they said they couldn't as the only people that could enter the salon were those with appointments, they couldn't allow people just to wander in. They do have air conditioning but it wasn't very effective. I was so glad to get out of there!
On my way home I stopped off to buy a mouse trap. I put that down where I thought their route to Bob's biscuits was. That didn't last long. Bob thought it was a new toy and excitedly pushed it around the kitchen with his nose. It does say the trap is harmless to pets but I wasn't taking any chances. That, and after what I paid for it, I decided to remove it and put it down just before I went to bed.
I took Bob out for a walk down the canal. Sometimes he lags behind sniffing every blade of grass so I just carry on walking and he catches me up. It was a couple of minutes and no sign of him so I back tracked to see where he was only to find him enjoying a sausage from a BBQ that someone on a boat was having. Apparently he had helped himself to the sausage, I was mortified but the boat people thought it was hilarious and were making a big fuss of him which he was lapping up.
Back home I continued reading a book that I had started the day before, I really got into it and couldn't put it down, so no TV last night just reading. I finished it about 1am and went to bed, it was still very hot and I knew I was in for a restless night.
I know we are all genealogy fans on here so the book may interest you if you like crime fiction mixed in with genealogy. The book is called 'Where the silent scream are loudest.' It is by an author called John Pye, an ex detective. I haven't read any of his books before but I do recommend this one.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 June 21 12:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the book mention, sounds good.
Well my new mattress came today!Iwas wakened at  7 -10 by the upstairs  phone,my mattress was at the front door,!

Went down in D,Gown,   Where  were the emails and three online calls telling me if it’s journey to me?
They had emailed me at 6-09!
Would not take the  old one away, well I knew that but then I had to tip the old one off the bed and the delivery man put the new one on the base and buzzed off !
Phoned BHF ,first pick up June 22 nd!!!
Honestly.
There is a name on my handy contacts list of someone who removes unwanted items ,so will try him.
That was not the way I was assured it would be done, but I mean! Just after six O’Clock.
Lovely walks folks and that dog needs a new home, he would be better off with me!
Dull start to the morning and I want to wash everything off the old bed ,
the windows are wide open to air the new mattress but I might give it a day or so yet.
Then the electric blanket just to be sure ,but win’t need that really for a while—-I hope!
Little girl loved the faulty timer ,saw the little joke and shouted across to me before she was taken to school
that  “ It works for me!”rrrrrring!
Well time for lunch ,lovely crusty brown bread and a ripe banana .
Thanks for the lovely descriptions if your walks etc.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 June 21 13:08 BST (UK) »
Roobarb
"What larks"
  reminded  me  of great  expectations  which  is  my favourite  book,

Louisa  Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 June 21 14:29 BST (UK) »
I couldn't remember where the phrase was from LM, I knew it wasn't mine.  ;D

Jo, you really made me laugh with your tale of Bob's adventures.   ;D ;D He sounds such a character. Not a great experience being stuck in the hairdresser's all that time, you'd think they would have a back door or window they could open.

How ridiculous of the delivery company to turn up at that time Viktoria and emailing at six in the morning just adds insult to injury. I think I'd be making a complaint about that.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 June 21 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hard going today. Considering drinking one of those isotonic sports drinks after a shift see if I feel less ill the next day as it is flattening me and affecting my functioning.

Still been really warm and muggy despite being cloudy.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 June 21 15:39 BST (UK) »
It was Joe Gargery

"What larks Pip"

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London