Author Topic: Will we be "free" on 21 June?  (Read 2027 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Will we be "free" on 21 June?
« on: Thursday 10 June 21 07:36 BST (UK) »
Many news sources are speculating that the date of "freedom" will be put back at least two weeks , maybe up to 6. But as far as I can see no-one is predicting re-imposition of tighter restrictions. However i have just received a communication that my holiday in 3rd week of July has been cancelled
"due to the current restrictions in place."

I booked this holiday on 24th May, when the restrictions from 17th May were known and the expectaion that they would be less or the same after 21 June - certainly no greater.
It is a 4 night trip in another part of England so not going to a foreign country - not even crossing borders to Wales or Scotland.

So I can only assume the tour operator has some prior knowledge that either hotels will be closed to tourists again, or size of groups will be reduced again to a number which is not viable. The holiday is a tour of several gardens so all attractions are outdoor.

Anyone else feel things might get worse on the 21st?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Will we be "free" on 21 June?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 June 21 08:31 BST (UK) »
So sorry to hear your trip has been cancelled Lizzie....

I get the feeling that 21st June will not be the grand opening up everyone has been expecting by the various comments that seem to be coming from some ministers..
It was said right from the outset though that the dates of the ‘roadmap’ given were the earliest dates the various stages could open up not necessarily a definitive date...

I hope things don’t get worse on 21st as we’ve booked a week away in self catering accommodation admittedly starting on 22nd June!

I think we’ll just have to wait and see and try to ignore all the media hype that goes on continuously creating more anxiety, worry and  speculation...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 June 21 08:54 BST (UK) »
They always said that it was going to be data before dates, so why was 21st June so hyped in the first place?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 June 21 08:58 BST (UK) »
I know that 21 June was the earliest date.
But my holiday could go ahead if it had been between 17 May and 21 June. But it is after 21 June (16 July) and I am told covid restrictions will prevent it happening. So the implication is they will be more restrictive in July than now
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 June 21 09:42 BST (UK) »
Couldn't it simply be that the tour operator had booked a coachful on the assumption that there would be no restriction on capacity.

However, they may now think that the capacity restrictions might/must still be in place after 21 June therefore they can't operate economically.  Maybe they have simply reduced numbers and you have been one of the unlucky ones.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 June 21 17:13 BST (UK) »
After two emails to the tour operator , I now have the true story. They have had several cancellations and transfers to different tours so the group is now too small to be economic to run.  Nothing to do with covid regulations at all.
I have heard in the news that some people are booking more than one holiday concurrently, and with many operators giving  more flexibility over cancellations and transfers, they leave it till quite late to decide which holiday they actually want and which to cancel or transfer to another date or destination.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 June 21 10:41 BST (UK) »
I don't think that we will all be free. Some, maybe most, will, but there will still be local restrictions in place. 

What is more, I don't think that we will ever be free of it - there will still be the annual boosters, like the flu shot. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 June 21 22:42 BST (UK) »
The thing is, we just cannot ignore this Indian Variant (Delta) is leading to many more infections. The initial delay is to collect more data and increase the vaccine rollout in the areas most affected.

It's a great shame that your holiday is getting cancelled, it must be very disappointing for you.

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 June 21 23:13 BST (UK) »
So sorry to hear that you have lost your holiday Lizzie, I do hope that you haven't lost money and can book something else.
It was never certain, just a suggested date, the situation is subject to change and is unpredictable.
I would rather the date was delayed a little than open up too soon and risk another lockdown. Who would be in Boris Johnson's shoes, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't  :-\
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU