Author Topic: Will we be "free" on 21 June?  (Read 2010 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will we be "free" on 21 June?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 June 21 08:57 BST (UK) »
So sorry to hear that you have lost your holiday Lizzie, I do hope that you haven't lost money and can book something else.
It was never certain, just a suggested date, the situation is subject to change and is unpredictable.
I would rather the date was delayed a little than open up too soon and risk another lockdown. Who would be in Boris Johnson's shoes, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't  :-\
Carol

Thanks it is disappointing, but the reason wasn't too do with covid restrictions, it could have legally gone ahead. I since found out they did not have enough people booked on it to run it. They are saying I can only have a credit note for a later holiday with them. Not much good as I could book a similar break independently, but I would have to drive myself and would miss out on the expert guide. Had two short breaks (both deferred from 2010) cancelled which should have happened this month. Switzerland and Germany. Luckily got full refunds without a problem, but did lose a bit on currency exchange on the German one. Both of those cancellations weren't because the two countries are on our amber list, but because neither were allowing in UK residents for tourism, only essential reasons. 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 June 21 07:36 BST (UK) »
QUOTE: "Both of those cancellations weren't because the two countries are on our amber list, but because neither were allowing in UK residents for tourism, only essential reasons."
I haven't been since early 2018, and I am pining to see my family in Oz, but I can imagine much of the world will continue with such a policy for many months to come!

Very sad for you Lizzie..... many companies have a system of last minute cancelling if bookings are too low.
Virgin balloon flights work that way..... I lost count of the number of times I drove for my flight from Wales to Bath or Tiverton, (among other destinations,) only to be told it was cancelled despite the weather was ideal, but mid week was never busy enough to fill the balloon. 
In the end they refused to renew my ticket and a lot of money was thrown away!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 June 21 09:21 BST (UK) »

In the end they refused to renew my ticket and a lot of money was thrown away!!

Surely that's illegal. Unless their T & C state "we can cancel for whatever reason we like and we will keep your money"  ???
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 June 21 17:27 BST (UK) »
Scotland won't be "free" on 28th June. It was intended mainland move to Level 0 then. My area currently Level 2. Most islands (not Skye) are Level 0; need negative test to visit them.
Cowban