Author Topic: Ancestors from Canada/England, please help date/id- possible Bell, Cairns  (Read 648 times)

Offline jrcarleton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello, these three unmarked photographs were found amongst my grandmother's family photos. They are definitely not her parents but could be her grandparents or great grandparents, or great-uncles/aunts. Her family lived in the Sherbrooke/Compton area of Quebec, Canada, but mostly had come from England in her grandparents' generation. I would suppose that these photos were all taken in Quebec.

Likely family names here would be Bell, Cairns, Bishop, Woodrow, Feaveryear.

The cabinet card of the older couple is 5 1/4" x 8 3/4" x .055" thick (cardstock) and the photo is 3 1/8" x 5 1/2". The corners are rounded by wear but were probably square originally. There are no markings front or back other than some imprinted scrollwork around the photo. The photo looks faded and slightly green/yellowed. My best guess is that these are my grandmother's great-grandmother and step-great-grandfather, Lydia Hannah Bell (nee Woodrow) and James Feaveryear. They came from England around 1836 and settled in Quebec. Lydia was born around 1805 and died in 1894. James was born around 1813 and died in 1885.

The smaller card (CDV?) of the woman is 2 5/16" x 4" x .015" thick (card) and the photo (seems like a tintype?) is 3/4" x 1" and is taped to the back of the card. There are no markings front or back apart from the printed scrollwork around the oval opening. I don't know who this is with any certainty but I wonder if it could be her grandmother Almina Matilda (nee Bishop) Cairns, who was born in 1851 and died in 1897.

The tintype is  2 3/8" x 3 7/16" x .01" thick and has a 1" circular indent as though it were kept in a wallet with a coin pressed against it. My best guess is that this is either her grandfather John Henry Bell or his brother, Henry Charles Bell. John Henry was born in 1830 in Norfolk, England, and died in 1920 in Quebec. His brother Henry Charles was born in 1827 in Norfolk and died sometime before 1881. Both came to Canada around 1836.

Any help with dating these photos and/or picking out details and hints that could help me identify these people would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Offline jrcarleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors from Canada/England, please help date/id- possible Bell, Cairns
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 June 21 02:15 BST (UK) »
It’s also possible that the tintype was taken in Boston as opposed to Quebec. Henry Charles Bell lived in Boston from around 1845 to 1860. John Henry Bell was there for a time as well, around 1850-1855. This fellow doesn’t seem to have a wedding ring. Henry Charles was married in 1850, and John Henry in 1857. If it’s neither of them, I have no idea who it would be.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 June 21 23:42 BST (UK) »
The first one I would say was early Edwardian and the second one is late 1850s early 1860s and I believe they are known as "Little Gem" photos.I have about six of these in my collection.
Not sure about the third one as I'm not great on male dress but Jim will know.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jrcarleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 June 21 03:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you, this is very helpful. Do you see any chance that the first photo could be from 1885 or earlier? If not, then I’m back to the drawing board on who these people are, as the gentleman I have in mind died in mid-1885.

Offline jrcarleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 June 21 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, does anyone else have any thoughts about dating these 3 photos? Thanks for any help.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 June 21 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

I agree with Carol about the dates of the first two. The third  looks mid 1880s.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 June 21 19:48 BST (UK) »
The young man 1870's.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 June 21 20:04 BST (UK) »
Ah, yes/ I've just found one dated 1872-3  :)

So, why is the one that I looked at earlier - and with the same suit, waistcoat, tie and collar - dated 1885  ???
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jrcarleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 June 21 20:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you both. So the first one being early Edwardian means 1900-1905 or so?