Author Topic: Akeroyd or Akroyd of Goole, late 1700's or early 1800's. Help needed.  (Read 645 times)

Offline GilesK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Akeroyd or Akroyd of Goole, late 1700's or early 1800's. Help needed.
« on: Thursday 10 June 21 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I'm having a nightmare with the Akeroyd family of Goole. Ideally I'm hoping to find someone who has already done some research here as I know this is a local name.  My problem is based around a Rhodes Akeroyd who, on the 1841 census is living with a Sarah Akeroyd and a John Wood at Docks, Goole. I have good record access via Ancestry so am hoping to find something over and above !
If you think you may be able to help me, please let me know.
Many thanks.
Giles.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Akeroyd or Akroyd of Goole, late 1700's or early 1800's. Help needed.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 June 21 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

Burial 5.10.1819 Wakefield for a Rhodes Akroyd born 1818 - parents Rhodes & Sarah
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline GilesK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 June 21 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole, Many thanks but this is a suprisingly common name in the area. Mine def. born c1780 and on 1841 census. So not yours, sorry ! Best wishes, Giles.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 June 21 21:53 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Giles.

Unfortunately, I am not researching any Akeroyd ancestors and as I'm from the East Riding of Yorkshire the spelling of that surname in my area is usually "Ackroyd".

I see from the National Archives that the Bradford Archives have documentation showing Mr Akeroyd possibly got his given name from Mr Rhodes of Tong
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=Rhodes+Akeroyd&_sd=&_ed=&_hb=

I see from the rootschat "Surname Interest" Boards that a few people are researching the different West Riding Yorkshire spellings of the surname.

http://surname.rootschat.com/sit-surnames.php?letter1=A&letter2=1#top_data

http://surname.rootschat.com/sit-surnames.php?letter1=A&letter2=3#top_data

Best wishes, Rena

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 June 21 22:03 BST (UK) »
Can you post the 1841 reference as I cannot find the entry you mention

EDIT

Just found it by searching for John Wood  - incorrectly transcribed on Ancestry as Rhoda Akroyd - not Rhodes Akeroyd!!  I have notified the transcription error
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline GilesK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 June 21 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena,

Thanks very much for this. I will check out all those links. I have found Akeroyd with both spellings, I'm fairly happy mine has the "e" from a copy Will I have as well as a number of on-line records.
I did think that Rhodes Akeroyd would be unique !! Unfortunately not ! Best wishes, Giles.

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 June 21 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

Findmypast has a marriage for Rhodes Ackeroyd & Sarah Wood 2/11/1820 in Wakefield
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 June 21 22:32 BST (UK) »
Surname is definitely Akeroyd on 1820 marriage entry.  Given the presence of John Wood in the household in 1841 it would appear to be the right marriage.

However - Rhodes would have been around 40 at that time but no mention of him (or Sarah) being a widower on the register

Offline GilesK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 June 21 06:46 BST (UK) »
Good morning all,
Bee, thanks, I do already have that one.  It's the Sarah that I'm really interested in but it's the Akeroyds who are making life difficult !
CaroleW. I know ! Sarah's age is good for a 2nd marriage, him too I guess but I've yet to find a death record for John Wood snr.  It's too much to be coincidence that Sarah Wood marries Rhodes Akeroyd and is living with a young John Wood. John just has to be a child of her first marriage to John Wood snr.
From the records it looks like Rhodes ( with an "e" ) Akeroyd is a sailor / ship master. There's records of 2 boats, 1 called Sarah ! and 1 called Mary Ann !! ( Wife and her daughter with John Wood ? )  The Akroyd ( no "e" ) seems to be a bit of a bad lad with a number of indictments against him!   I prefer Akeroyd ( with an "e" ) because Sarah's dad is a wealthy man in Wakefield. I'm 95% sure of the situation here but some doubts have been raised by some other trees on Ancestry.
If someone on here has already worked the local Akeroyds / Akroyds I'm sure they can dispel any doubts !