Author Topic: Catherine Grandon  (Read 1775 times)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Grandon
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 12 June 21 23:59 BST (UK) »
When he registered for the draft in WWI he said he had a wife and child. The registration card is not dated. If he didn't marry Mae (Mary) until 1919, then was Catherine alive in 1918?

If he was born in 1893, he would have been required to register on 5 Jun. 1917.  However, an 1893 year of birth is off from the age he gave (23 years old) at the time of the 1912 marriage.  It could be a mistranscription of the marriage age, but thought it was worth noting.

Now that I look at it, the ages on the marriage record are probably wrong. Catherine was 9 years older than Howard. She was born in 1884 but said she was born in 1890.  Howard was born in 1893, but when they married he said he was born in 1889.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 June 21 11:43 BST (UK) »

I didn't see any Catherine McGuire, born about 1884 in Ireland, living in NYC with a husband Howard either.

And I looked for her using just her first name and parents' names and only found the 1901 census of Midleton which has been posted. Nothing in the US.

And I don't see her in NYC in 1920 as Catherine Ryerson, born in Ireland about 1884.
We know Catherine was alive when she named on James McGuire birth/death 1918. I have searched the Irish death registrations and nothing under surnames Grandon/Ryerson/McGuire. The presence of her son Albert with Father & 2nd wife would lead towards Catherine having died ? Are there any Divorce records available?

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 June 21 11:44 BST (UK) »
When he registered for the draft in WWI he said he had a wife and child. The registration card is not dated. If he didn't marry Mae (Mary) until 1919, then was Catherine alive in 1918?

If he was born in 1893, he would have been required to register on 5 Jun. 1917.  However, an 1893 year of birth is off from the age he gave (23 years old) at the time of the 1912 marriage.  It could be a mistranscription of the marriage age, but thought it was worth noting.
Thank you for your input the mystery deepens regarding Catherine?

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 17 June 21 20:53 BST (UK) »
As I failed to locate a death for Catherine Grandon Ryerson I looked at marriages in New York. I found a marriage in Kings County NY 16 July 1922 for a Catherine Grandon (did she revert to maiden name?) to a Edward a Wheeler. Has anyone any thoughts on this? Thank you

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 17 June 21 22:54 BST (UK) »
As I failed to locate a death for Catherine Grandon Ryerson I looked at marriages in New York. I found a marriage in Kings County NY 16 July 1922 for a Catherine Grandon (did she revert to maiden name?) to a Edward a Wheeler. Has anyone any thoughts on this? Thank you
All I could find was the index to the marriage licenses in Brooklyn.
For 1922, 1921, license #11917 issued July 27, 1921, listed for Catherine C Grandon and for Edward A Wheeler.

that was on ancestry.com. If yours was on familysearch could you post a link? Did it give any other information for Edward Wheeler to help identify him?

And I didn't find the two of them together after 1921.

Edited

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 June 21 09:42 BST (UK) »
Oldohionhome found on www.italiengen.org Brides & Grooms indexes in New York database

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 18 June 21 14:51 BST (UK) »

That is a different Catherine Grandon.

Here is that Catherine with her family in 1920.

1920 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MJ5P-RFD

There is a clipping in a 1925 Brooklyn paper mentioning Mrs. Edward A. Wheeler and Miss Charlotta Grandon (her sister).

=============

I think Catherine Ryerson died in New Jersey, 1918-1919. She was living in New Jersey according to Howard's WWI Draft registration. New York deaths are well covered for that period, and she is not listed, but unfortunately  New Jersey death aren't, and the death index isn't available until  after 1920.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 18 June 21 15:14 BST (UK) »

That is a different Catherine Grandon.

Here is that Catherine with her family in 1920.

1920 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MJ5P-RFD

There is a clipping in a 1925 Brooklyn paper mentioning Mrs. Edward A. Wheeler and Miss Charlotta Grandon (her sister).

=============

I think Catherine Ryerson died in New Jersey, 1918-1919. She was living in New Jersey according to Howard's WWI Draft registration. New York deaths are well covered for that period, and she is not listed, but unfortunately  New Jersey death aren't, and the death index isn't available until  after 1920.
THank you I guess I will have to assume that Catherine died 1918-1919 maybe after she had the child registered as McGuire in 1918