Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 10th June  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 10th June
« on: Thursday 10 June 21 23:36 BST (UK) »
Didn't do much all day, I was feeling a bit rough, as if I'd eaten something I shouldn't have. Went for a walk midday, it was warm but cloudy, it stayed cloudy for a lot of the day.
Didn't do any gardening or the pile of ironing that's been building up, just sat around reading and looking at dresses on the Internet.

Was feeling better by late afternoon, went to meet my friend J for our weekly walk. She usually asks where I'd like to go and I say I don't mind. She'll sometimes say 'How about....', today she didn't ask, just said 'Let's go to.....'. I thought she'd be keen to walk to the coast road as it was so warm but we were walking to the nearby village. I found out why when we were a little further on, she asked if I fancied going to a small deli cafe and wine bar in the village, she would treat me to a cocktail. She'd not only brought her payment card but also two masks and hand sanitiser. It would have been rude to say no! I've only been there once before, it's a lovely little place. I really enjoyed it, I felt like I was getting back into the real world. I was so touched by her thoughtfulness. We're planning on going again, perhaps for something to eat although the choices might be limited for me.

Came home and had scampi and salad for tea, later on I watched Julia Bradbury's Greece, I've seen the series before but I'll watch them all again and torture myself with thoughts of what might have been.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 10th June
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 June 21 08:49 BST (UK) »
what a lovely, thoughtful friend you have Roobarb. A walk followed by a cocktail, how lovely. Hope you're feeling better today. I to had a lazy day (it's turning into a lazy week) very warm and humid, just pottered about most of the day with not much to show for it. Sorted out a few clothes to put in a charity bag, that led me to sorting out the whole wardrobe and a chest of drawers. Sorted out OH wardrobe as well. Got rid of a few items that were long pass there use by date. He won't notice. He never sorts his clothes out and if I suggest he gets rid of something he finds a reason why he shouldn't. I'm doing him a favour really, otherwise he would still have clothes he had when he met me. That's what I tell myself anyway  ;D
Had an uneventful walk with Bob. In the evening OH went to meet up with friends at the pub, I just watched tv and had a glass of wine.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 June 21 09:57 BST (UK) »
Yes I'm better today thanks Jo.  :)

All of that wardrobe sorting sounds very productive to me, I'm sure the charity shop will be very pleased. I'm sure you've done the right thing getting rid of all that stuff for your OH, he definitely should be thanking you. If he was aware!  ;D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 June 21 10:01 BST (UK) »
What a lovely thing your friend did for you there Roobarb, so glad you enjoyed it.
Industrious work Jo, well done.

At last we had our dental appointments, but the only option seems to have been a compound that has been applied, and will crumble if I use dental floss... which doesn't sound terribly efficient. H had the ultra violet type and I know they last a very long time, but not over confident for mine. We shall see.
Walked along the Prom, which was fairly quiet as the weather was better suited to March, but I was glad not many people were around. 4 cruise ships at anchor.
In the afternoon while H was out tutoring I crept along the headland a little way and had a go on my roller skates. Only 10 minutes or so, but a marked improvement, so if I try again soon I might start to feel a little bit confident. At present I daren't stray from supporting railings!!
(Here I might add that the birthday will be the last Friday in June, and is BIG enough to warrant frocks, cake and fizz, :'( so do pull out all the stops and enjoy yourselves.
In the evening we watched "A town like Alice" in black & white, screened in honour of Virginia Mackenna's 90th birthday I think.  Not a barrel load of laughs, but historically quite informative.
Enjoy the weekend if you can.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 June 21 10:15 BST (UK) »
Roobarb- so pleased to hear you went and had a nice cocktail with your friend.... I suspect she knew that if she asked you before hand you may have wavered but by doing it that way she was gently bringing you back to some normality..... well done to her what a sensitive person she is..... glad you enjoyed it too!

Jo - your days sound pretty much like mine! A job that desperately needs doing .... sorting out wardrobes... once you start there’s no stopping and it can take all day by the time you’ve tried things on to see if they still fit, you like them or they’re out of date! My OH is quite ruthless with his kit and has no compunction about getting rid of things!

My day

We had arranged to speak to our son M so after breakfast we had a FaceTime with him... it’s always such a joy to see his smiling face quite lifts my spirits... he’s busy with lots of work coming in which is great... just made a gymnastics beam for one of his wife’s employees who has two enthusiastic gymnasts! They have both had their first jab now which considering Oz seems to be lagging behind is pleasing to hear... we talked about when they might be able to travel outside the country and he seems to think that it’s not going to be until 2022.... which is quite a depressing thought... but better safe than not!
 It was late morning by the time we’d finished chatting and then returned a phone call from some friends .... as we are going to be down their way when we have our week in Dorset so we arranged to call in on our way home for lunch... not seen them for nearly two years now..
After lunch the BT engineer arrived to try to sort out our broadband problems... basically it’s living in a small village with three junction boxes between us and the nearest exchange .... old wiring system that needs replacing.... he’s the same chap who came last July and fixed the squirrel eaten wiring! Seems to know what he’s talking about and gave us his number to contact him if we have any further issues... wry nice of him.
As I’d still got some bananas left from the boys visit last week and we don’t eat them I made a couple of banana cakes and put them in the freezer.
We had a late afternoon game of scrabble which I won ... hooray...
Dinner was chicken baked in the oven with vegs and new pots...
Watched tv... not sure what...
Retired early to read.

Caroline

Added...
MH how brave of you to be out roller skating even if you didn’t venture far from railings... I’m truly impressed....
Quite right too frocks and fiz and cake should definitely be the order of the day for big birthdays.... hope some surprises too.... I’ll make that cake and send it to you...

I hope to be doing the same in mid September.....
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 June 21 15:33 BST (UK) »
Today was a bit of a washout due to exhaustion.  i had to have a nap while the girls were at school. Was so tired i slept through the workmen banging on the roof. just felt so rough.  Definitely going to try the isotonic drink after work, see it that helps me feel less unwell because I need to get a lot more done.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 June 21 10:44 BST (UK) »
Oh, what a lovely surprise your friend arranged for you Roobarb.  :D She sounds like a really thoughtful person.  What a lovely memory this will be when you look back on this unexpected treat in the years to come.

I agree with Caroline, you are brave to go gadding about on roller skates Mowsehowse.  This is sure to keep you fit.  I had roller skates as a kid but my much older sister (22 years my senior) hadn't been allowed any when she was young as our parents thought these would be too dangerous for her.  I remember her saying to me "How come you got roller skates and I didn't?". My response was "How come you got piano lessons and I didn't?".

PharmaT you really must try to take more naps when you can, it will do you the world of good.  Much better than isotonic drinks, I think.  You must try to put your own needs above any work; exhaustion is horrible.

We have been all of a twitter on Tyneside this week!  It has been all over the news that Harrison Ford has been out and about in Newcastle on the quayside and even cycled to North Shields for lunch one day!!  Not that I got to spot him unfortunately, but it is not every day that we have a Hollywood star hobnobbing around our riverside! :D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 June 21 12:47 BST (UK) »
Oh, what a lovely surprise your friend arranged for you Roobarb.  :D She sounds like a really thoughtful person.  What a lovely memory this will be when you look back on this unexpected treat in the years to come.

I agree with Caroline, you are brave to go gadding about on roller skates Mowsehowse.  This is sure to keep you fit.  I had roller skates as a kid but my much older sister (22 years my senior) hadn't been allowed any when she was young as our parents thought these would be too dangerous for her.  I remember her saying to me "How come you got roller skates and I didn't?". My response was "How come you got piano lessons and I didn't?".

PharmaT you really must try to take more naps when you can, it will do you the world of good.  Much better than isotonic drinks, I think.  You must try to put your own needs above any work; exhaustion is horrible.

We have been all of a twitter on Tyneside this week!  It has been all over the news that Harrison Ford has been out and about in Newcastle on the quayside and even cycled to North Shields for lunch one day!!  Not that I got to spot him unfortunately, but it is not every day that we have a Hollywood star hobnobbing around our riverside! :D

I'm considering the isotonic drinks because beyond tiredness, with blurry vision, muscle spasms and potential AKI. So i think my electrolytes are off.  It's difficult to remain hydrated properly as we can't have a drink at the nurses station these days due to PPE and at this time of year it's very hot in PPE, our breaks are short so difficult to drink enough without causing discomfort
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 June 21 13:13 BST (UK) »
Well, please look after yourself Pharma and if you think an isotonic drink might help then good.   Did it help on Thursday? I do sympathise as I know what it is like myself to have to do without proper hydration at times.  I must confess I do not know what AKI is.
You seem to work so hard and it is not good for you to become so exhausted so please try to take opportunities to rest when you can.  I know it won't be easy.   I wish the hospital where you are at could look out more for staff needs.  I am sure this would benefit the patients too to have less exhausted, properly hydrated  staff.  I suspect you always put yourself last but I think sometimes you need to try to make yourself a priority above your work - at home at least.
Do take care and big hugs. :-*
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner