Author Topic: Help needed for German translation to English  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed for German translation to English
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 June 21 01:44 BST (UK) »
Wow! Thank you Dave how very interesting.  So it does seem from the marriage translation that this is our girl and that her new husband consented to care for the illegitimate child.  So there isn’t much doubt she’s a Klemke and not a Rau.  It’s probable then that her son just used that name as a maiden name for his mother to cover his illegitimate birth. 

Also thank you for the translation of Heinrich Julius Rau’s baptism … wonder what a wind Miller did exactly. I am very grateful for your help as I try to understand these people and where they were from and how they lived.  I’m told the Rau brothers left their home for Australia to escape forced military enlistment so I’m trying to understand the times they lived in.  I am also trying to work out why some of the children were baptised in a different area and if this was where the Rau family were from or the Klemke.  I will find one of the baptisms.  Having the names of the witnesses I thought might also help uncovered other family members.

The language barrier makes it difficult so your help is greatly appreciated.

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 June 21 03:47 BST (UK) »
Dave … could this be her death

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/60749/images/45211_srep100^058046-00028?usePUB=true&_phsrc=viF8&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=4462562

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 June 21 04:30 BST (UK) »
So sorry to bombard you Dave … but I’m wondering too if this is the death of Johanna Christiane Rau née Klemke’s death as she did have a daughter Emilie Alt née Rau

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/2958/images/41910_prep808_000718-00388?treeid=89118704&personid=46588348740&hintid=1006740960471&usePUB=true&usePUBJs=true&_ga=2.79809751.1125598263.1623036002-1270371199.1593525610&pId=168360203

Still trying to piece them together

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 June 21 07:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
the first link is Henriette Wilhelmine´s death in1884

the second link is the death of Emilie Alt nee Rau in 1905
I´ll translate them this evening for you.

A wind miller was the owner of a windmill.
Making flour, spices or animal food

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 June 21 08:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dave … I was looking at this so assumed it was Wilhelmina’s death

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 June 21 08:27 BST (UK) »
I have to confess to them all giving me quite the headache trying to link them together …I’m sure they are linked but not knowing who Johanna and Wilhelmine parents are I can’t prove they are sisters.

I’m positive there is one though.

This is some information shared on one of the ancestry trees in regard to Ernst Heinrich Klemke his birthdate on those trees is the same as the baptism you transcribed.

Ernst Heinrich Klemke had been observing many people leaving their Homeland for other Countries as increased population, poor economic conditions, religious and political persecutions and reprisals were making life difficult. Along with many others Ernst also wanted to avoid conscription into the Prussion Army. Relatives and Countrymen had written letters home telling of good fortune and opportunities in Australia. So on the 2nd June 1855, 18 year old Ernst Heinrich Klemke sailed from the Port of Hamburg with 130 other immigrants on the barque (barque means boat) 'Alster', a vessel of 130 tons, bound for Melbourne. The voyage took over three months with conditions on board being notoriously bad, with poor food and accommodation. The Captain of the 'Alster' was H Piening and the cargo contained a piano and spirits.When the bargue 'Alster' finally arrived at Port Phillip on the 10th of September 1855 the port was crowded. Victoria was at the height of the Gold Rush, sailing ships, schooners, barques and steamers lay at anchor as many crews had abandoned ship deserting to the gold fields of Bendigo and Ballarat. Passengers and crew of the 'Alster' were given grim reminders of the reasons for British Settlement in the Colonies where penal hulks such as 'Deborah', 'President', 'Sacremento' and 'Success' anchored in Hobsons Bay with work parties of convicts labouring off the Breakwater on construction of a Pier and in quarries along the foreshore. A new lifeErnst first set foot on Australian soil at Williamstown where he spent his first night in the pubs and houses along the waterfront. Ernst set his compass for the German village of Germantown, four miles from Geelong. Ernst obtained work at the Mt. Duneed Flour Mill as a 'Miller' where in a paddock at the old Mt. Duneed Flour Mill site is a large sandstone block on which once stood the motor which drove the Flour Mill, a relic of the past. Eight years after starting work at the flour mill Ernst married a local girl named Annie Betts who was born in Bothwell in Van Diemen's Land in 1842. Annie's father was transported to Australia as a convict for stealing, the parents of Annies mother were also convicts transported to Australia for stealing sheep. Ernst and Annie lived in a cottage near the corner of Heyers and Torquay Roads not far from St. Paul's Lutheran Church. They began a family of 10 children Wilhelmina, Henry, Alfred, Florence, Annie, Emily, Agnus, Alice, George and Carl where all 10 children attended the Grovedale State School. The family later moved to a small farmlet of five acres in the Dennys area on the west side of Torquay road where they grazed a few milking cows, grew vegetables and owned a horse and cart. The family prospered and later acquired a further 18 acres of land. Ernst started working at the Brearley Brothers Tannery at Marshalltown where a photograph was taken of the men outside the factory that shows Ernst with a full wild beard with a strong stocky build. Ernst enjoyed a jovial and amiable disposition and loved to hunt rabbits and other game in season such as quail taking his sons with him and supplying the local hotels with their catch and enjoying a few beers after a hard days work. In 1901 the Commonwealth of Australia came into existence and Ernst received his Letters of Naturalization on 18 June 1901 becoming an Australian Citizen. Eight years later on 31 August 1909 at the age of 72 Ernst Heinrich Klemke passed away.

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 June 21 16:21 BST (UK) »
Death Henriette Wilhelmine Habermann nee Klemke

Schmöllen 28 November 1884

Vor den unterzeichneten Standesbeamten erschien heute der Persönlichkeit bekannt,
die Frau Mathilde Zirade geb. Habermann

Wohnhaft zu Klein Schmoellen
und zeigte an, dass ihre Mutter, die Wittwe Henriette
Wilhelmine Habermann geb. Klemke
71 Jahre alt, evangelischer Religion
Wohnhaft zu Klein Schmoellen
geboren zu Chwalim, Kreis Bomst. Zuletzt ver-
heirathet gewesen mit den verstorbenen
Müller Johann August Habermann.

Tochter des Müllers Johann Gottlob Klemke und dessen
Ehefrau. Vor- und Familienname unbekannt

zu Klein Schmoellen in der Anzeigenden Behausung
am acht und zwanzigst (28) November 1884,
vormittags um acht Uhr
verstorben sei
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before the undersigned registrar appeared today, identity known,
Frau Mathilde Zirade geb. Habermann, resident in Klein Schmoellen and reported that her mother, the widow Henriette Wilhelmine Habermann nee Klemke, 71 years old, protestant
born in Chwalim. died in her home on the 28 November 1884 at 8 am

formerly married to the deceased miller Johann August Haberman

daughter of the miller, Johann Gottlob Klemke and his wife
„names unknown“

read aloud, approved and signed

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 June 21 17:45 BST (UK) »
Death Emilie
Berlin 12 April 1905

Vor den unterzeichneten Standesbeamten erschien heute der Persönlichkeit durch Familienbuch anerkannt,
Olga Schirmer, Kohlenhändler Frau

Wohnhaft zu Berlin, Ruppinerstrasse 44
und zeigte an, dass Emilie Arlt geb.
Rau, Witwe des pensionirten Grenz
aufsehers Karl August Arlt
70 Jahre alt, evangelischer Religion
Wohnhaft zu Berlin bei Ihr
geboren zu Chwalim, Kreis Bomst

Tochter des verstorbenen Eheleute
Mühlenbesitzers  Ernst Rau
und den :Vornamen unbekannt: geb
Klemke. Zuletze in Unruh-
stadt, Kreis Bomst, ersterer in Chwalim, wohnhaft

zu Berlin in der Anzeigenden Wohnung
am zehnten (10) April1905
nachmittags 10 Uhr
verstorben sei
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before the undersigned registrar appeared today, identity verified by family book,
Olga Schirmer coal merchants wife
resident in Berlin, Ruggenerstrasse 44
and reported that  Emilie Arlt nee Rau, widow of the retired border guard
Karl August Arlt
71 years old, protestant
resident in her home
born in Chwalim, Kreis Bomst

died in her home on the 10 April 1905 at 10 pm

daughter of the deceased couple: Windmill owner Ernst Rau and his wife
first name unknown“ Klemke.
Last mentioned resident in Unruhstadt
first mentioned in Chwalim