Author Topic: Helen Ruth Hamilton  (Read 424 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Helen Ruth Hamilton
« on: Friday 11 June 21 17:26 BST (UK) »
I've been looking to see what became of Helen Ruth Hamilton, born in Glasgow in 1880, and I came across http://himetop.wikidot.com/helen-ruth-hamilton which suggests that she may have been Matron of the 'Principessa Jolanda' convent school in Milan.

I've looked online for digitised Italian newspapers that might mention her, so far without success. Does anyone have any ideas how else I might investigate this lady?

I can read Italian well enough so I don't need English-language newspapers or translations.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Ruth Hamilton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 June 21 06:21 BST (UK) »
she was still living in Govan,Glasgow in 1901 - parents and siblings in case you don't have them

https://gw.geneanet.org/darkestangelk93?n=hamilton&oc=&p=helen+ruth

the way I read it is it was a School to train Nurses and Helen Ruth Hamilton is the Principal / Matron - for The Italian Red Cross - she died in 1976 - so was 95-96 when she died - is the Convent still active ?  do you know the name of the Convent ?
whoever she was she certainly gave a lot of her life to a good cause -  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 June 21 06:45 BST (UK) »
According to this she came to Italy at the request of Marco and Rosa Di Marchi to take over the nursing school. When travelling with them, she met Alfredo Corti, who she later married.
This site has many photographs of the extended Corti family including some of their children:
http://www.archiviocorti.it/Personaggi.ow?pageId=4668
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 June 21 06:56 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant Jorose - you amaze me with your research -  :)
added
am I reading it right ?
Helen Ruth Hamilton married Alfredo Corti 5th December 1914 ??? and she died in Rome on 10th April 1976  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 June 21 10:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, that is just great, Jorose.

The article on Helen says that Alfredo and Helen had five children, and there are five listed on the site, so that seems to be all of them.

Thanks also, Garstonite. You are indeed reading it right.

Unfortunately the tree you kindly found is a complete and utter mess of incorrect information. Just about every bit of information about her family is wrong, from the date of her father's birth to the name of her mother to the list of her supposed siblings. I find it unbelievable that the compiler didn't question Mary (aged 36) being the mother of Helen (aged 21) in the 1901 census.

Unlike the author of the online tree, I have actually looked at the indexes to births, deaths and marriages, and most of the original certificates, on Scotland's People.

Her father James Hamilton was the son of James Hamilton and Jessie Fleming, and he was born in 1848, not 1838, and died in 1932. He married first Christian McIntyre Denny (1855-1887) of the Denny Dumbarton shipbuilding family, and had four daughters; Helen Ruth (1880-1976), Jessie Fleming (1881-1961), Margaret Hope (1883-1972) and Christian Winifred (1885-1958). In 1891 James married Mary MacLellan, by whom he had a daughter Nora, b 1900, and a son Kenneth, born 1892. I have not researched Mary, Nora or Kenneth in detail because my connection is through the Denny family and they are not related to me.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.