Author Topic: Kirton,Curtin or corten?  (Read 863 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kirton,Curtin or corten?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 June 21 16:29 BST (UK) »
You are welcome.
Perhaps 'Labourer' could be a catch all term?
Are you on FamilySearch?  If so, if you go on
Search. then
Catalog
Gateshead
then find relevant year reel for this cemetery it is on image 747.

I can see that the burial cost 19s which was one of the most expensive ones shown on the page.  Most others cost much less than this at that time.

I would add the link directly to it but for some reason this doesn't seem to work anymore on my Kindle - I would just get you through to a general page.

By the way, I have added your John Kirton on Find A Grave. This might be useful for other researchers too. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kirton,Curtin or corten?
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 June 21 16:42 BST (UK) »
Thank's again RTL,strange he is listed as labourer as they had a grocers shop in Flag terrace Saltmeadows
for thirty odd years that said Catherines father was listed as labourer on the marriage cert but owned a
marine stores dealership on Gateshead high street!

The men may have taken outside work to supplement shop income. Wife or daughter may have looked after the shop while the man was out at work during daytime.
Ancestor of mine was a shopkeeper on a census. He was father of a baby + 2 young children. 10 years later he had a paid job, his wife was the shopkeeper and their only surviving son was 10 and at school.
A famous Cork Curtin was Thomas Curtin or Tomas MacCurtain, Lord Mayor of Cork, assassinated 1920.
Cowban