Author Topic: Daniel Cairney - singer (tenor) and possible music hall star ...  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Cairney - singer (tenor) and possible music hall star ...
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 13 June 21 16:34 BST (UK) »
I'm still trying to assertain if the Blackpool he remembers is the Lancashire one or the one in Cork, Ireland. We already have established another of his memories that he thought was the Lancashire one was, in fact, the one in Cork.

Blackpool, Lancashire was a popular holiday destination of Scottish people.
Did Blackpool, Cork have a concert hall or similar venue?
Cowban

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 June 21 16:36 BST (UK) »

The obituary was written in the East Lothian Courier dated 27th May 2018 and was written by a Stephen Bunyan OBE, Chairman of Dunbar Community Council. I'll paste it here ...

Is it an infringement of copyright to post entire text of an obituary from a 3 year-old newspaper?

Interesting about Danny Cairney's involvement in the John Muir Birthplace Trust and beatification cause of Margaret Sinclair.
I agree with heywood and Mckha that it sounds as if Danny was an amateur singer and that there may be local people with recollections of him.

Copyright infringement ... Good question that I didn't consider when I posted it but I'm sure it's ok to post an obituary on a genealogy research site I'd have thought?

as for Margaret Sinclair, I don't know of her but I have emailed the John Muir Birthplace asking if they have more information and/or photographs of him and/or his family.

As for local people, I agree but it's just finding out who they may be. I know he does still have living descendants from his surviving daughter and grandchildren but I'm not in touch with any of them nor do I know how to.

Thank you for your feedback anyway. Always appreciated.
Waddicor, Poyser, Wildgoose, Cartwright and especially anyone who can enlighten me on a Daniel Cairney who was born around 1929 in Tranent, East Lothian. Apparently he was some kind of famous music hall musician or singer/entertainer but can't find mention of him anywhere! :(

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 June 21 16:40 BST (UK) »
I'm still trying to assertain if the Blackpool he remembers is the Lancashire one or the one in Cork, Ireland. We already have established another of his memories that he thought was the Lancashire one was, in fact, the one in Cork.

Blackpool, Lancashire was a popular holiday destination of Scottish people.
Did Blackpool, Cork have a concert hall or similar venue?

Thank you for that insight, Maiden Stone. That's very interesting. As far as Blackpool, Cork is concerned, I've no idea if it has a concert hall or similar. Good question. I'll have to add that thought to my lines of enquiry. :)
Waddicor, Poyser, Wildgoose, Cartwright and especially anyone who can enlighten me on a Daniel Cairney who was born around 1929 in Tranent, East Lothian. Apparently he was some kind of famous music hall musician or singer/entertainer but can't find mention of him anywhere! :(

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 13 June 21 16:52 BST (UK) »
To answer the last question, I did a quick Google and found this ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_Opera_House

I quote the first paragraph ...

Cork Opera House is a theatre and opera house in Cork in Ireland. The first venue opened in 1855 on Emmet Place (then known as Nelson's Place) to the rear of the Crawford Art Gallery. This original building was destroyed by fire in 1955, and a replacement opened in 1965. With a number of additions in the early 21st century, the 1000-seat venue hosted over 100 theatre, music, opera, and comedy events in 2015.

Blackpool appears quite close to it. I've not looked for others yet, if indeed there are any.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 13 June 21 18:29 BST (UK) »
Would it not be easier to contact the newspaper?

Just a thought  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 13 June 21 20:34 BST (UK) »
Oops.  ;D ;D

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 14 June 21 13:41 BST (UK) »

Sorry if this sounds a stupid question but which newspaper? My next task I've been asked to do by my friend, is to look into his wife, Mary Elizabeth McCawley's family. Apparently there might be a suicide story involved for one of them (?) and her GGrandmother possibly an actress?! Never rains but it pours lol.

I know already that she was born around 1930 in West Barnes, East Lothan, married Daniel on 3rd April 1956 in Tranent, East Lothian and died 1st August 2018 in Gullane, East Lothian - yes the same year as Daniel died and, coincidently (?) at the same nursing home!

One for another day I guess but why this descendant believes her side of the family originates in Ireland when she appears to have been born in Scotland, I've yet to establish. :)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 14 June 21 14:18 BST (UK) »

Sorry if this sounds a stupid question but which newspaper?

If your friend is not a member of the direct family, there may be others still around. There may be people in the area who remember Daniel’s musical career, even though it is not referred to very much in the obituary.
Newspapers often run short articles/notices when people are searching.

https://www.eastlothiancourier.com/

The choir might have archives too

http://bohemians.org.uk/

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 14 June 21 15:50 BST (UK) »
Mancunian Nick
Regarding copyright, you can find guidelines for posting under "Help" tab. If still in doubt ask opinion of a moderator. When it comes to copyright it's best to err on the side of caution.
Reply #24 This seems like a different enquiry for another time.
Cowban