Author Topic: Daniel Cairney - singer (tenor) and possible music hall star ...  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Cairney - singer (tenor) and possible music hall star ...
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 June 21 06:37 BST (UK) »
http://www.blackpoolpostcards.co.uk/category/north-pier-summer-season-programmes/

The above Link, might be worth a search, though it appears a while since the Site was updated, and for full access, it states Contact can be made via Facebook.
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 June 21 08:42 BST (UK) »
No more info on the actual page

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0001180%2f19670223%2f017&stringtohighlight=danny%20cairney

And was the only one I could see

OK thanks. I just don't understand why I can't find out more about him considering he supposedly had such a good voice and apparently appeared in Blackpool a number of times but I guess that's what makes this genealogy malarky fun, interesting and sometimes frustrating at the same time lol.
Waddicor, Poyser, Wildgoose, Cartwright and especially anyone who can enlighten me on a Daniel Cairney who was born around 1929 in Tranent, East Lothian. Apparently he was some kind of famous music hall musician or singer/entertainer but can't find mention of him anywhere! :(

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 June 21 09:15 BST (UK) »
Is he part of your family?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 June 21 09:45 BST (UK) »
The obituary is very full but it doesn’t mention singing at all, so perhaps it was very much a hobby, in which case you probably wouldn’t expect to find much mention.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 June 21 09:57 BST (UK) »
The obituary is very full but it doesn’t mention singing at all, so perhaps it was very much a hobby, in which case you probably wouldn’t expect to find much mention.

I agree and as it is so recent, one would think that there are people close to that man who may have the information.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 June 21 16:20 BST (UK) »
http://www.blackpoolpostcards.co.uk/category/north-pier-summer-season-programmes/

The above Link, might be worth a search, though it appears a while since the Site was updated, and for full access, it states Contact can be made via Facebook.

Wow Sandblown, thank you so much for this. I've just had a quick look and there's SO much fascinating stuff there about Blackpool. I shall spend a few hours going through it when I get time next week. Very much appreciate it!
Waddicor, Poyser, Wildgoose, Cartwright and especially anyone who can enlighten me on a Daniel Cairney who was born around 1929 in Tranent, East Lothian. Apparently he was some kind of famous music hall musician or singer/entertainer but can't find mention of him anywhere! :(

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 June 21 16:24 BST (UK) »

Someone asked if this John Cairney was him. Yes I've seen lots about him on Google but I don't believe so, although whether or not it's any relation, I've no idea. I hesitate to say but probably not?

The obituary was written in the East Lothian Courier dated 27th May 2018 and was written by a Stephen Bunyan OBE, Chairman of Dunbar Community Council. I'll paste it here ...

John Cairney is a different person. He's 90.
John Cairney, actor, lecturer, author, painter. Born Parkhead, Glasgow. Trained at Royal Scottish Academy of Music & drama. Films in which he appeared include "Ill Met by Moonlight", "Victim", "Cleopatra", "Jason and the Argonauts". Theatre roles include Hamlet and Macbeth. He's known in Scotland for Robert Burns. First volume of his autobiography is "The Man Who Played Robert Burns".

Is it an infringement of copyright to post entire text of an obituary from a 3 year-old newspaper?

Interesting about Danny Cairney's involvement in the John Muir Birthplace Trust and beatification cause of Margaret Sinclair.
I agree with heywood and Mckha that it sounds as if Danny was an amateur singer and that there may be local people with recollections of him. 
Cowban

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 June 21 16:24 BST (UK) »
Is he part of your family?

No he isn't. My friend is helping one of *his* friends who is a descendant of the Cairney family however and asked me to do the online reasearching but surprisingly, to me, it's proved harder than anticipated, although I'm still trying to assertain if the Blackpool he remembers is the Lancashire one or the one in Cork, Ireland. We already have established another of his memories that he thought was the Lancashire one was, in fact, the one in Cork. Perhaps, we don't know yet, this memory could be the same? We've yet to prove that one way or the other at the moment.

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 June 21 16:29 BST (UK) »

With respect, Mckha, it does! I quote -

In his early career, Dan was an adult instructor in the ACF. He was also a member of Bohemian Society Lyric Opera Choir in Edinburgh.

:)