Author Topic: The Walker Mystery  (Read 270 times)

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The Walker Mystery
« on: Saturday 12 June 21 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I'm still on the quest to find my great-grandfather's biological parents but now I think I may have found something.

What I have:

Many DNA matches who are descended from a couple called James Douglas Walters & Anna (Anne) Walker, who both migrated to Australia (of their own free will) in, I assume, the late 1830s as they got married in 1840.

A great-grandfather who was adopted by an 'aunt' after he was abandoned by his parents. Now, at first, I thought the 'aunt' was just a cover-up but now (with some help from very generous RootsChatters) I think he really was her nephew and she was Elizabeth Walker!

This is Anna's wedding announcement: MARRIED — Yesterday, by special license, by the Rev. W. Bedford, at St. David's Church, Mr. James Walters, of this Town, to Anne, third daughter of Mr. John Walker, of Kensington, Middlesex.

On Elizabeth's marriage certificate in 1838: Elizabeth Walker, daughter of John Walker, servant to Charles Acourt. The witnesses were Anne Walker and Charles Walker (and Susan Nuiman (?))

Elizabeth disappears until she pops up again in 1861 as Elizabeth Hobbs, wife of Benjamin Hobbs, with my great-grandfather, Laurance John Laurance. Elizabeth & Benjamin don't actually get married until 1868 but, by 1871, they have disappeared again. On the 1868 wedding certificate, she lists her father as 'gentleman's servant' but everything else is the same and no relevant witnesses.

On the 1861 census, she lists her birthplace as "Marylebone, Middlesex," which led me to this:

Name: Elizabeth Walker
Birth Date: 11 Mar 1813
Baptism Date: 12 Mar 1813
Baptism Place: Saint Mary-St Marylebone Road, St Marylebone, London, England
Father: John Walker
Mother: Jane

What I need help with:

Finding anything about this Walker family! It's such a common surname and I'm really struggling. There are two Ann Walkers born to John Walker & Jane in St Marylebone (in 1810 and 1811). Could the latter Ann be Anna, wife of James? On her marriage certificate, she lists herself as born circa 1816 but I know that women often shaved a few years off.

I would be grateful if anyone could help me find John, Jane and their other children (from the marriage announcement, there must be at least 2 older daughters). There is a John Walker who married Jane Sarah Thompson on 21st Sep 1803 in St-Martin-In-The-Fields but I'm not sure if they are the same couple  :( I'm looking for a Walker who had something to do with either a Sarah Ecclestone (Laurance's mother) or a Laurance John Laurance (Laurance's father).

Thank you very much for any help!

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset