Author Topic: Trying to find my father  (Read 1597 times)

Offline SadieH23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find my father
« on: Saturday 12 June 21 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hello wondering if anyone can help?
I’m trying to track down my father who ive never met. My mother only gave me his name what is (*) I live in London now but I use to live in Coventry as a baby she said he was from Nuneaton Warwickshire. only thing my mother as also said is that he has another child who would be my a year an half younger than me. I’ve tried posting on Facebook groups and other websites he’s not on my birth certificate but I did have a relationship with him but only as a baby I just want to know why he left I only have questions and tell him he has 2 beautiful grandchildren and that I’m not mad and with what ever happened I will always love him. Thanks

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find my father
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 June 21 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to RootsChat. :) We are a family history forum for people trying to build up their family tree, not for trying to find living relatives.

People may be able to help you in general terms (without mentioning the names of living people), or they can contact you using Personal Messaging.

All the best in your quest,
Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 June 21 14:02 BST (UK) »
Welcome from me too and good luck.

Have you already tried looking at electoral rolls as you know his full name.

if you know the town  he lived in .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 June 21 14:25 BST (UK) »
H and welcome to rootschat ;D

Your mother is your best source of information, so you need to ask how old he was, what job did he do, did he have siblings, does mum know their names, does she remember names of his friends and where in Nuneaton did he live, in the town or one of the many villages so get as much informtion as you can get....

Most records for living people are not available for you to view, but there are some you could look at electoral rolls, telephone directories, you could look for his birth registration that will give you the details that you could then apply for his birth certificate from the GRO, which will show his full details and his parents names, the address they lived at, where he was born ( likely George Eliot Hospital)

Of course he may have moved but if you can find out about any siblings they might be in/around Nuneaton still

Nuneaton is situated with the M6 separating it from Coventry and A5 separating it from Hinckley Leicestershire so all very close, but worth knowing as you could potentially be looking in two counties. 99% of 'Hinckley' mums also give birth for decades are over the border in George Eliot Hospital Nuneaton.....

The electoral rolls, directories I know are available in both Hinckley and Nuneaton libraries and if you are in London then Kew will have them along with the birth registration books to get details you need to purchase the birth cert
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 June 21 14:44 BST (UK) »
The electoral rolls, directories I know are available in both Hinckley and Nuneaton libraries and if you are in London then Kew will have them along with the birth registration books to get details you need to purchase the birth cert

The British Library in London has electoral registers, I am not sure about TNA at Kew having a complete set.  https://www.bl.uk/collection-guides/uk-electoral-registers

The attached list gives details of where you can view the GRO indexes (It includes the British library)
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/423368/PublicHoldersofGROIndexesApril15.pdf
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SadieH23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 June 21 17:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for the information, unfortunately me and my mum haven’t spoken in a few months  ever since I have wanted to get in touch with my father she thinks im not going to bother with her anymore what’s silly she only gave me his name but I’m not sure if it’s short for Anthony as his name is Tony I’ve looked on ancestry but I’ve hit a brick wall at the moment with the searching process I’ve asked my grandparents and my aunties and uncles they’ve only just gave me a name and not much more information unfortunately they all seem to change the subject very quickly
Thanks Sadie x

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 June 21 19:49 BST (UK) »
Have you tried GenesReunited?
They have a 'find living relatives' forum.
Bev,
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 June 21 20:06 BST (UK) »
unfortunately me and my mum haven’t spoken in a few months  ever since I have wanted to get in touch with my father she thinks im not going to bother with her anymore

Unfortunately you are proving she is right to think like she does! You only have one mum, the one that brought you up without any support from your biological father, the mum who was always there.... my advice is mend the fence with your mum and let her know she is loved and appreciated.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline SadieH23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 June 21 20:21 BST (UK) »
unfortunately me and my mum haven’t spoken in a few months  ever since I have wanted to get in touch with my father she thinks im not going to bother with her anymore

Unfortunately you are proving she is right to think like she does! You only have one mum, the one that brought you up without any support from your biological father, the mum who was always there.... my advice is mend the fence with your mum and let her know she is loved and appreciated.

Yes because my mother didn’t let him raise me or have anything to do with me, my grandparents raised me my mother didn’t she chose drugs over me. But I still let her come back in my life and forgave her for what she did and chose her path I want to find my dad and she’s not giving me the information because she is a selfish person, she cares only for her self so before you know the full story know your facts. I’ve been looking for my father since I was 18 now 36 and to only be told a name and no information apart from he has another son but I don’t know his name either. I wouldn’t leave my mum like she left me and the selfish things she done to me I’m still there. Yes you may only get one mum but all mothers aren’t the same