Author Topic: The Liddy cup for amateur footballers in Dublin northside.  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Myrtle boat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Liddy cup for amateur footballers in Dublin northside.
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 17 June 21 21:39 BST (UK) »
Paul, and anyone else interested, I have been going through old family photos today, and I have come across one of a number of children with a ? Nursemaid. The reverse of the photo has a message written in pencil and an annotation by my aunt, Alice Josephine liddy saying ‘ the O’Shea family Dublin’  I thought that perhaps the nursemaid was a relation, but it would appear from all the foregoing material that the mother of these children was related to my liddy family. Genealogy is fascinating. Thanks Caroline
Belfast , Liddy,
Co. Derry/ Londonderry, Lennox
Co Leitrim, Stuart
Co. Longford, Navan and Jones.,
Co. Cavan, Anderson
Colchester and Cavan Farrelly,
Fitzsimons,

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 17 June 21 21:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Caroline - it’s lovely to hear of these links, isn’t it.   :)

I am posting a link to your previous mentions of your family - Rootschatters love to go off on a trail to find these folk  ;)
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=728478.msg6790660#msg6790660
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 19 June 21 09:45 BST (UK) »
Re James Liddy

About 2016 i was doing a family tree for a friend and found his wife's grandfather and his cousin also died on the Somme have no known grave and are commemorated on The Thiepval Memorial

I some how managed to find this couple Ken and Pam Linge who were collating info on the men named on the memorial i contacted them and gave all the soldiers family particulars this man the soldier Timothy McDonnell his soldiers records like James Liddy were probably among the burnt documents.

Luckily there was a free weekend on one of the pay sites and i found that both lads had joined the Dublin Militia between 1901 and 1911 census'es,perhaps James may have done the same ?
reply 47 here
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=669681.msg6105081#msg6105081

The book  interesting to see  what details are given for James Liddy
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Missing-but-Not-Forgotten-Thiepval/dp/1473823587

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/somme/museum-thiepval-visitor-centre.htm

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 19 June 21 13:04 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in replying. I enquired on another forum how to go about getting James Liddy's details updated on CWGC website, now that we know who his parents, next of kin are. Got a mixed response, some positive, saying go for it, you have the proof. Others saying you have no chance, CWGC are very reluctant to change/add details, especially when there is no headstone for the dead soldier.(James is only remembered on Thiepval  memorial). But what did come to light is that it appears James' brother Charles Liddy also served, as a sapper in Royal Engineers, service number 140110. He survived the war and gave his contact address as St Peter's Road Dublin when he was demobbed. Which brings me to my next question. What became of this Charles Liddy? Born Belfast 1881, on 1901 census at 37 Amiens Street Dublin aged 20 confectioner, on 1911 census at 40 St Peter's Road Dublin aged 29 carpenter. I can find no death for a Charles Liddy after 1919 anywhere in Ireland. Am I doing something wrong?
Paul.

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 19 June 21 13:10 BST (UK) »
Caroline, when your father and my wife's father arrived at Connolly train station(separately and at different times) from Belfast in the 1940's on their way to their Liddy relatives at Clontarf, I wonder did they know they had Liddy blood relatives living directly across the road from the station at 37 Amiens Street?

Paul.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 19 June 21 13:24 BST (UK) »
I can find no death for a Charles Liddy after 1919 anywhere in Ireland. Am I doing something wrong?

Have you considered that he might have died after 1970?

Up to 1971 (current date) in Northern Ireland and 1970 (in Republic of Ireland) covered by the 100 50 year rule on data disclosure.

KG

Edited
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 19 June 21 13:57 BST (UK) »
Kiltaglassan, I did consider that possibility and I hope that is the reason there is no record for him. He would have been 89 years of age in 1970 but lets hope he was still hale and hearty.
Paul.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 20 June 21 10:18 BST (UK) »
dathai, as always, thanks for the additional information. Great find re the Deansgrange family plot for Patrick and Mabel Liddy. I wonder if the Charles Liddy interred there is 'our' Charles, or Patrick and Mabel's son, who was 8 years old in the 1911 census.
I will indeed e-mail Ken and Pam Linge with the additional information relating to James Liddy,died 6th September 1916. Thank you for the link.
Paul.