Author Topic: Finding a grave  (Read 1674 times)

Offline CassieP

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding a grave
« on: Sunday 13 June 21 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've been going around in circles with this one and would be grateful for any suggestions please!  I help to correct and complete military and civilian war dead WW1 and WW2 memorials, and was asked to work on Edward Thomas William Trengrove who died on 8 June 1941 aged 10 as the result of an air raid at Alma Terrace, Penzance, Cornwall UK.  He was an evacuee from
Devonport living with Thomas and Alice Gribble who also died.  Newspaper reports show that Thomas and Alice were buried at Penzance Cemetery - which is confirmed by Cornwall Council Cemeteries Office.  The newspaper report of Edward's funeral seems to suggest that he was also buried at Penzance, possibly at Penzance Cemetery, but does not actually state this is so.  Cornwall Council Cemeteries Office are unable to find a record of his burial, and an enquiry made to the Penlee Cluster of Churches regarding a possible churchyard burial has not been successful.

I hope to find Edward's resting place in order to give him an accurate and meaningful memorial, and any help in doing so will be greatly appreciated.  I'm attaching the articles from the Cornish newspaper.  With very many thanks for taking the time to read my post.     

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a grave
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 June 21 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Cassie, his Commonwealth War Graves Commission entry says he was buried at Penzance Municipal Borough Cemetery

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/3101611/EDWARD%20THOMAS%20WILLIAM%20TRENGROVE/

These records do not seem to be on Deceased Online/Ancestry UK Web Burial and Cremation Index. I have found that cemetery's own indexes can have mistranscriptions, so it may be that they are looking for Trengrove, but it is actually in their index as Frengrove, Prengrove etc. So it may be you need to ask someone to go through the register from around when the burial took place and see if they can see his name.

Offline CassieP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 June 21 17:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much melba_schmelba - I didn't find that when I searched on CWG, either it is a new entry or for some reason didn't come up when I looked.  That is absolutely brilliant, I can't thank you enough - I'll get back to the Cemeteries office and ask them to search for alternative spellings.  I've seen the name with the spelling Trengrave in places.   :)     

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 June 21 17:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much melba_schmelba - I didn't find that when I searched on CWG, either it is a new entry or for some reason didn't come up when I looked.  That is absolutely brilliant, I can't thank you enough - I'll get back to the Cemeteries office and ask them to search for alternative spellings.  I've seen the name with the spelling Trengrave in places.   :)     
Hi Cassie, since you have the exact date of his burial from the newspaper article, it might be worth specifically asking if they can go to that date on the register and look, rather than try and guess what it might be mistranscribed as in an index.

Offline CassieP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 June 21 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Cassie, since you have the exact date of his burial from the newspaper article, it might be worth specifically asking if they can go to that date on the register and look, rather than try and guess what it might be mistranscribed as in an index.

Yes, thanks.  I've just looked at the Cornwall Council website, and the contact details for enquiring about burials has disappeared!  Will have to ring the main number tomorrow! 

Offline CassieP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 June 21 17:58 BST (UK) »

Yes, thanks.  I've just looked at the Cornwall Council website, and the contact details for enquiring about burials has disappeared!  Will have to ring the main number tomorrow!

Oh ... just found a phone number ... under where it says it's easier to contact them online!!

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 June 21 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just a thought but is it possible he was buried in the same grave as Thomas & Alice Gribble, so is recorded as Edward Gribble.

Interestingly CWG site, does not record Thomas Gribble’s burial, not that I could find.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 June 21 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just a thought but is it possible he was buried in the same grave as Thomas & Alice Gribble, so is recorded as Edward Gribble.

Interestingly CWG site, does not record Thomas Gribble’s burial, not that I could find.

Spendlove
I assume it's an error, as Thomas is recorded on Alice's entry, as having died in the same incident, a member of the Home Guard
https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/3101606/ALICE%20GRIBBLE/

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 June 21 15:26 BST (UK) »
Oops sorry info already found by Melba  :-[
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk