Author Topic: Finding a grave  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a grave
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 June 21 17:02 BST (UK) »
Interestingly CWG site, does not record Thomas Gribble’s burial, not that I could find.
Thomas, bring a Home Guard, is counted as military rather than Civilian War Dead (though they don't do that for all HGs):
https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2948618/THOMAS%20GRIBBLE/

Just to clarify a point about the CWGC's records of CWD: the entry title "Buried or commemorated at" is misleading. It actually gives the name of the Local Authority which reported the death to central government. LAs did not include places of burial in these reports, though they would, of course, have had separate records for their own cemeteries. The difference is illustrated by Thomas Gribble's entry giving the cemetery and plot, but Alice's just naming the LA.

In short, the CWGC's CWD records should not be taken as giving the town of burial, much less the cemetery or churchyard.

Newspaper reports of air raids were heavily obfuscated to avoid providing any help to the Luftwaffe. Unfortunately, this often baffles us too!
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 June 21 17:11 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline CassieP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 June 21 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks so much to everyone who has responded. 

I contacted the Burials Officer this morning and asked them to check from 11th June - 18th June for a 10 year old.  The newspaper reports dated 19 June are not clear on the exact date of burial, saying that Mr and Mrs Gribble were buried "last Wednesday" and was followed by Edward's funeral.  But was that Wednesday 11th or Wednesday 18th, and was Edward's on the same day as Mr and Mrs Gribble?  They have ensured me they will check a few days either side of those dates.

I've pointed out that the spelling could be incorrect and he might have been mistaken for the son of Thomas and Alice Gribble.

Also I found the plot number of one of the other victims of the air raid (there were a total of nine) and it's possible they were buried close together.

Many thanks again, it really is a help to have fresh eyes on this (how I missed the CWG entry I just don't know!  :-[)

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 June 21 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info.

There is an image of cemetery plot on

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2173859/memorial-search?firstname=&middlename=&lastname=Gribble&cemeteryName=Penzance+Cemetery&birthyear=&birthyearfilter=&deathyear=&deathyearfilter=&memorialid=&mcid=&linkedToName=&datefilter=&orderby=r

Unfortunately there appears to be no family stone only a War Grave stone.

Spendlove
I can't see any inscription for Alice on the headstone, but there's something I can't read along the right kerb. I've put in a photo request for Alice's memorial, pointing out the inscription and asking the photographer to check for one for Edward. Requests at Penzance don't seem to be being done very fast, but maybe there will be some holiday visitors there in the next few months.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 June 21 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info.

There is an image of cemetery plot on

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2173859/memorial-search?firstname=&middlename=&lastname=Gribble&cemeteryName=Penzance+Cemetery&birthyear=&birthyearfilter=&deathyear=&deathyearfilter=&memorialid=&mcid=&linkedToName=&datefilter=&orderby=r

Unfortunately there appears to be no family stone only a War Grave stone.

Spendlove
I can't see any inscription for Alice on the headstone, but there's something I can't read along the right kerb. I've put in a photo request for Alice's memorial, pointing out the inscription and asking the photographer to check for one for Edward. Requests at Penzance don't seem to be being done very fast, but maybe there will be some holiday visitors there in the next few months.
I think there's something on the left kerb too?

Offline CassieP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 June 21 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, and thanks again to everyone who has helped with this search. 

I have an update - today the Burials Officer told me that a thorough search has been made of Penzance Cemetery register of burials and 8 of the 9 victims of the air raid are all listed together - a week old baby who was buried on 10 June, and the other 7 who were buried on 11th and 12th June. 

Edward Trengrove is not listed among them and we know from newspaper reports he was also buried in 12 June.  It seems therefore that he was buried in a churchyard. 

I did make enquiries to the Penlee Cluster (for the churches near to where he lived) in March and was promised that someone would look for me, I also sent a reminder by email but have not received a reply to that or a further message left on their answerphone.  A call I made today went straight to answerphone.  Of course it could be that Edward isn't buried in a C of E churchyard. 

The search goes on!   

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 June 21 19:01 BST (UK) »
There is a private family tree onAncestry that mentions Edward, perhaps they know where he was buried? Also I wondered where the parents married if it was a church marriage that would perhaps give an indication on the denomination of the church where Edward is buried.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 June 21 20:25 BST (UK) »
As well as the municipal cemetery, Genuki mentions a private burial ground known as The Penzance Cemetery. However, I haven't managed to find anything about it other than what's on this page:

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/CON/Penzance#Cemeteries
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CassieP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 19 June 21 00:13 BST (UK) »
There is a private family tree onAncestry that mentions Edward, perhaps they know where he was buried? Also I wondered where the parents married if it was a church marriage that would perhaps give an indication on the denomination of the church where Edward is buried.

Thanks - but the private tree is mine, a temporary one just for working purposes whilst I do research for his memorial.  I am in touch with a member of Edward's family through Ancestry who has been helpful, but does not know details of the burial.  Today I have asked if he knows the denomination of Edward's parents church.