Author Topic: Finding a grave  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a grave
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 19 June 21 00:31 BST (UK) »
My request on Find A Grave for photos of the kerbs on the Gribbles' grave has been fulfilled very quickly, but do nothing to gainsay the cemetery's assertion that he's not there:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/58215500/alice-gribble
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline CassieP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 19 June 21 00:50 BST (UK) »
My request on Find A Grave for photos of the kerbs on the Gribbles' grave has been fulfilled very quickly, but do nothing to gainsay the cemetery's assertion that he's not there:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/58215500/alice-gribble

Thank you for that - I'm in touch with the person who took the photographs (as he has fulfilled many of my Find A Grave photo requests in the past) and will ask his opinion on Edward Trengrove, who today was confirmed not to be listed in the Penzance Cemetery burial register.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 19 June 21 07:27 BST (UK) »
I presume you know that his death is registered as TRENGREVE?
Hopefully they're looking under alll possible spellings.

Deaths Jun 1941 

Trengreve    Edward    age 11    Penzance    5c   721
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 19 June 21 10:08 BST (UK) »
As well as the municipal cemetery, Genuki mentions a private burial ground known as The Penzance Cemetery. However, I haven't managed to find anything about it other than what's on this page:

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/CON/Penzance#Cemeteries
Well that would definitely need some investigation.

Another thought, is it possible he was reinterred in a family grave later? I don't know whether in that instance, people are removed from the original burial register?

Offline CassieP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 19 June 21 10:14 BST (UK) »
I presume you know that his death is registered as TRENGREVE?
Hopefully they're looking under alll possible spellings.

Deaths Jun 1941 

Trengreve    Edward    age 11    Penzance    5c   721

Thank you - yes I did see that, and on another document saw the spelling Trengrave.  I asked to Burials Officer to check for incorrect spellings.  She told me that as all the victims of the air raid are listed together he should have been easy to find, and be easy to spot being 10 years old. 

Offline CassieP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 19 June 21 10:17 BST (UK) »
As well as the municipal cemetery, Genuki mentions a private burial ground known as The Penzance Cemetery. However, I haven't managed to find anything about it other than what's on this page:

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/CON/Penzance#Cemeteries
Well that would definitely need some investigation.

Another thought, is it possible he was reinterred in a family grave later? I don't know whether in that instance, people are removed from the original burial register?

Thank you.  I did think that he may have been reinterred, and have checked Devonport, the area his family lived as far as possible.  I would imagine the burial register may be marked that he was reinterred, but that the original registration would remain and that the Burials Officer would see the amended entry.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 19 June 21 10:43 BST (UK) »
The newspaper report says there was a funeral, but 'technically' that is a service and the burial isn't always at the same place.

(I've been to a few in England where a funeral service took place there and then the body was flown to their birth country of Ireland for another service and then burial)

Perhaps the funeral service took place there as there would be other evacuees/ teaching staff from his home town there who knew him well and then the body was taken to be buried in his home town?

Boo

Offline CassieP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 19 June 21 10:51 BST (UK) »
The newspaper report says there was a funeral, but 'technically' that is a service and the burial isn't always at the same place.

(I've been to a few in England where a funeral service took place there and then the body was flown to their birth country of Ireland for another service and then burial)

Perhaps the funeral service took place there as there would be other evacuees/ teaching staff from his home town there who knew him well and then the body was taken to be buried in his home town?

Boo

Thanks - yes, could be.  I have checked Devonport where his family lived, and there is no trace in the local authority cemeteries.  If its a churchyard burial there, its like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 19 June 21 11:05 BST (UK) »
The newspaper report says there was a funeral, but 'technically' that is a service and the burial isn't always at the same place....

That occurred to me too and I wondered about a funeral in Penzance with burial in Devonport, so it's good that CassieP has already checked there. However, the first of the newspaper reports doesn't really allow for that as the third paragraph starts "Following the cortege to the graveside..."

I also wondered whether with the vagueness of wartime reports the funeral and burial might both have taken place elsewhere, but the reports do seem to connect it with the other funerals in Penzance. And on a moment's further reflection, the newspaper cuttings don't actually mention a church or chapel service, so it's possible the whole service might have been at the graveside.

Two other possible lines of enquiry: while looking for Edward's burial I noticed a few other Trengroves in the Penzance area, so might there be a family grave nearby? And might there be a newspaper notice giving details of the funeral arrangements?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk