Author Topic: Scottish Marriage records  (Read 730 times)

Offline Smudger1962

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scottish Marriage records
« on: Sunday 13 June 21 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

For anyone who has a better knowledge of Scottish Marriage records than me. I've hit a brick wall with a great grandmother x 3 daily because her fathers name is not shown on the marriage record that I found and there are other Mary Blair's born in the same area around the same time. Im grasping at straws a little but the record reads as follows: Benjamin Holmes and Mary Blair both of this parish were booked the 28th. It's the booked bit I was wondering about is this just the Banns of marriage if so there may be another record out there with the information that I'm looking for. Any ideas greatly appreciated

Ian

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Marriage records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 June 21 18:51 BST (UK) »
From what you have written, I assume what you are looking at is an OPR from before Statutory Registers begin in 1855. That being the case, what information you get is very variable. Many, many OPRs only list what are indeed Banns (a frequent wording goes something like Benjamin Holmes and Mary Blair "gave their names for proclamation in order of marriage"). Actual marriages are sometimes added to those ("and were married on ....") sometimes listed on a separate page but frequently not listed at all.

So in short, yes you might find something further, but it is by no means certain.

The second thing, and the unfortunate one from your perspective is that the majority of OPRs do not list parents of either bride or groom. Again, it's variable from parish to parish, from time to time or even from one clerk to another, but the most common format is just the names of the two people "giving their names." If you are lucky, you might also get something like "Thomas Main, of Ballochnie" or witness names, but in general parents are only listed when they are of a certain status (eg Elizabeth, the daughter of Mr Moody).
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 June 21 19:02 BST (UK) »
If you let us know the names, date and place of marriage it could help.

Were the couple still alive in 1855? If so, the names of both their parents will appear on their death certificates. Do the witnesses to the baptisms of any children give a clue? If they followed the 'traditional' naming pattern, the second son would have the maternal grandfather's name and the first daughter the maternal grandmother's name. Of course, not everyone followed this pattern and if both grandfathers/grandmothers had the same name it can throw things out.

Offline Smudger1962

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 June 21 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks for that

The names were Benjamin Holmes and Mary Blair they were married on 28th Feb 1818 Abbey Parish Renfrewshire. Benjamin was born in Northallerton But Mary was born is Scotland. They had two children in Scotland Mary and Sarah but then moved South. Mary Passed away 27th November 1867 in Tynemouth.

Ian

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 June 21 22:49 BST (UK) »
Them moving to England makes it harder, as a census will probably just give Mary's birthplace as 'Scotland', rather than mentioning a specific parish and her mother's name will not appear on an English death certificate. The Abbey parish kirk session minutes are not on ScotlandsPeople, so no way of finding anything there either. Were any of the witnesses to the children's baptism called Blair?

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 June 21 23:20 BST (UK) »
Maybe you've thought of this, but, try to find siblings with Scottish death certificates - obviously the parents' names will be the same!
Co Durham BROOKS / Northumberland BURNS / Fogo ALCORN, DODDS / Whitby LINTON, STONEHOUSE, GRAHAM / Stirlingshire BROWN, MCLACHLAN, JOHNSTONE / Blackford (Perthshire) DAVIDSON, MURRAY / St Andrews KIRK, HAY / Leith, Orkney GROUNDWATER, EUNSON / Edinburgh HUTTON, WRIGHT, BLAIR, CHISHOLM, GREGOR

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 June 21 05:37 BST (UK) »
Where did you find you information ?
Have you used ScotlandsPeople
You have to buy credits to see actual document's but you can look at lists

There are lots of Mary BLAIR s in Renfrewshire I have some in my tree .

Do any of the children have it as a middle name ?

Can you tell us their ages at marriage  or from census and occupations .

Every little bit of information helps.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Smudger1962

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 June 21 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi All

GR2. Unfortunately no witnesses shown on the baptism records of Mary or Sarah (Viewed on Scotlands People) You are correct about the census It just says born Scotland. The first Son was named Thomas the second Benjamin and the 3rd George (Benjamin's fathers name) I suppose that would make Thomas the most likely name, but I can't see Thomas Blair with Daughter Mary. The two most likely would be Archibald Blairs but there are two of them in the area with Daughters Mary born around this time and there are others.

Brooksburns. No death certificates in Scotland but I didn't realise that parents names were shown on scottish death certificates.

Abufera32. Yes it's the old parish records and you are right no parents shown.

Brigidmac. No middle names as far as I can see, The children's baptism records, and Benjamin and Mary's marriage records are from Scotlands people.  They would both have been about 20 when married in 1818 Benjamin at the time was a Weaver an I Suspect moved to the area to work.

Thanks for all the input

Ian

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 June 21 21:36 BST (UK) »
Best of luck and let us know if when you make progress
Co Durham BROOKS / Northumberland BURNS / Fogo ALCORN, DODDS / Whitby LINTON, STONEHOUSE, GRAHAM / Stirlingshire BROWN, MCLACHLAN, JOHNSTONE / Blackford (Perthshire) DAVIDSON, MURRAY / St Andrews KIRK, HAY / Leith, Orkney GROUNDWATER, EUNSON / Edinburgh HUTTON, WRIGHT, BLAIR, CHISHOLM, GREGOR