Author Topic: Scottish Marriage records  (Read 732 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Marriage records
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 01:41 BST (UK) »
Practically all of the mothers in my tree went back home to their mother's house to have their first one or two children.  The reason being was that their mother had experience of child birth and would instruct their daughters.

I have one bride, living in London with her coachman husband, travelling all the way up to Yorkshire to be with her family to have her first baby.   My own grandmother was living with her husband in Glasgow but travelled across to be with her mother in Leith to have her first child.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 02:45 BST (UK) »
     Two more children born to Benjamin Holmes and Mary Blair. James Holmes and Benjamin Holmes, born 23/2/1823, baptized 19/6/1824, St Mirin's, Paisley. Also, another likely birth. John Holmes, no birth date, baptized 16/5/1819, St Mirin's, Paisley. Father: Benjamin Holmes. Mother: Mary Holmes. [OPR Births - Roman Catholic Church] ScotlandsPeople.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Smudger1962

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 07:36 BST (UK) »
     Two more children born to Benjamin Holmes and Mary Blair. James Holmes and Benjamin Holmes, born 23/2/1823, baptized 19/6/1824, St Mirin's, Paisley. Also, another likely birth. John Holmes, no birth date, baptized 16/5/1819, St Mirin's, Paisley. Father: Benjamin Holmes. Mother: Mary Holmes. [OPR Births - Roman Catholic Church] ScotlandsPeople.

Thanks I had not seen them. I think both John and James would have been old enough to be missing from the 1841 census. I do have a son named Benjamin born in Northallerton in 1834 but it's possible that the first Benjamin passed away in infancy. Were the birth and baptism dates the same for James and Benjamin?  and also I suppose that this might also suggest that Mary's father was called James. Interesting.

Offline Smudger1962

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 13:43 BST (UK) »

In addition to what I said in my previous post I have now viewed the record and it looks like the Name Benjamin was entered originally and then was lined out and James was written above. either way we have one more family member. I haven't looked at John yet but it looks like he was the first Son. so James may well be Mary's Fathers Name.
Cheers