Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 13th June  (Read 1329 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 13th June
« on: Sunday 13 June 21 23:39 BST (UK) »
Sunday was pretty much a repeat of Saturday. Quite a lot of cloud but hot when the sun came out. Usual walk, plenty of gardening and reading. Cooked some spag bol in the slow cooker so not much preparation when I was ready to eat it.
Phoned my friend L to ask what she thought about the next art class project, she hasn't watched the demo recording yet but we still managed to have a lengthy discussion about it.

Well tomorrow the government will be announcing whether changes will be made on the 21st. The common opinion seems to be that there will be a delay, I think that's the right thing to do in light of the spread of the Indian variant. A lot of people don't seem bothered by the prospect of a delay. I was thinking that it wouldn't make any difference to me personally but it just occurred to me that it would affect the plans for our art class lunch as there would be too many people. We shall see.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 13th June
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 June 21 23:45 BST (UK) »
Roobarb

Yes, I expect a bit of a delay will get the newly emerging data together for them to make a better assessment.

Trystan

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 June 21 10:09 BST (UK) »
How many expected to your art club lunch do you think Roobarb? Perhaps tables at an outside venue could be booked, assuming dry weather?
I love it that you managed to have such a long conversation about the next project, despite your chum hadn't even seen the demo yet!!  :D
Yesterday was another glorious day here. In the morning we drove over to Babbacombe. We were so early the volunteers were still working in our favourite little garden, so the gates were locked, and our stroll around the precinct was quiet due to all the shops being closed.  Then we walked along the Downs, where only one cruise liner at anchor off shore.  Such a clear day we could see right over to Lyme Regis. The flower beds have been planted and the hotels have all made an effort, so everything was very pretty and welcoming.
I nipped into the Range to pick up some picnic wine goblets as I plan to have a celebratory libation with friends next week if I can wangle it.  A fair few people in there, so I didn't hang around browsing, and the queue moved reasonably quickly, thankfully.
After lunch I was reading on the balcony while H watched the football, when SiL turned up, which is the first time in many months, and it was good to have a cuppa and a chat with her.
A walk in the evening sunshine after tea was pleasant, though of course the beach was still quite busy as everyone was making the most of the wall to wall sunshine, so we had to do a lot of dodging despite walking on the lower path behind the beach huts, which will be the norm until October no doubt.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 June 21 10:59 BST (UK) »
There are usually between twenty and thirty people for these events as the morning and afternoon classes get together for the lunch, there are a lot more that attend in person than in the Zoom classes. The teacher was looking for a venue where we could eat outside if the weather is good, it looks like she'll have to book something on that basis with the proviso that it can be cancelled if the weather is bad.
Your walks sound lovely and good to have a visit from your SiL. Here's hoping your celebration works out well next week.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 June 21 11:31 BST (UK) »
Great news Pharma, very pleased for you both.

Dull cool start to the day but is brightening up already.
A but muggy after some rain in the early hours.

I bought a new potato/ vegetable peeler from our super hardware shop,
I had a good S/S Lakeland one which disappeared?
With the peelings nodoubt ,so as an emergency bought a cheapy plastic and metal one ,it eas marvellous so did not bother to get another Lakeland one .
Well that was either taken by the potato peeler fairy ( she is related to the teaspoon fairy!) or again chucked in the bin.
Go a replacement Saturday,extolled the virtues if that  at not much more than£1 ,used it yesterday - it was utter rubbish !
Ah. Well I thought .bsck ti the old Lancashire peeler.
When washing the new one ,guess what,  :-[, I had not taken off the protective plastic strip covering the very sharp blades!
Tried it on another potato and yes fantastic!
Honesty I am not fit to be let out !

Will phone son after next drops to see how he is.
There is no pattern to help identify a cause.
And he is normally so busy in the garage “ fettling “  things like a Lambretta
scooter he has completely rebuilt ,all authentic parts etc

Pinger will go in a minute or four , but did the same thing happen to Eriksen
last year?
I googled it and it said 2020?
Quite common amongst highly tuned athletes it seems.
In the investigations for my daughter’s strange symptoms that question was asked ,any sudden deaths in young.
athletic people?
Her symptoms were from Pernicious Anaemia but the
altered shape and size of the red blood cells in that disease means they can clump and cause clots ,so —— .

There was a water rat,really not a rat,one like Ratty ,Wind in the Willows - living in one of the drainage ditches along the little lane to our house in Belgium ,a delightful creature .
The farmer set traps which our boys sprung every morning!
It did no harm whatsoever ,eating the stems of the flag irises etc.
Thet also sprung spring loaded nets set to catch wild birds in the mesh !
Bird fanciers or whatever they were set then but often did not come back for a week .
They were set just across a moat at  the end of our garden but over the fence
which separated us from the grounds of an old decrepit chateau , stones thrown at the springs made them shoot over before trapping in the mesh any birds which would have come to feed on seeds etc put to entice them.
Very cruel.The boys sprung them before anything was trapped as far as possible.
The chateau was inhabited by the last of the family ,a very old lady.
She allowed our boys to play there ,well they had read Just William books  ::)
Madame Claaes Bouuaerts .
Old Flemish spelling.

Well still brighter now so must get busy.
Washing ,always washing but I love pegging it out and fish to be fed.
I really do not know how I stand the excitement!

Well must get on ,with a thousand and one things ,including dead heading the aquilegias before they spread seeds everywhere!
Cheerio Viktoria ,
Look after yourselves and hope all your families are well too,.V.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 June 21 20:53 BST (UK) »
Lots to catch up on again…. Seem to be late to the party!

Roobarb- Great to hear you have been discussing your next project already! Hope you get to have your lunch out with your art class…. Strange times but hopefully outside will be ok 🤞

MH - I do so love your descriptions of the places you visit… I’m sure you could write a travelogue or for local information centres promoting the area….
Hope you get to have your get together with friends for the celebrations… only advantage is that you can have quite a few with small numbers instead of a big shindig!

Viktoria- do hope your son soon gets some news about what his issues are… worrying for you all but your resilience to everything always amazes me…all respect to you…
I’ve done just the same as you and fished many potato peeler from the compost heap! Knives in the bin as well as teaspoons! Keys lost… even once a building society book carefully hidden that we couldn’t remember where it was until we had a new kitchen and removed all my cook books and out it fell!

My day

Well it certainly looked like it would be a hot one… after breakfast I changed into a light summer dress and wandered up the village to my friends to do my stint serving refreshments. Their garden (one and half acres of it) was open for NGS… should have been last year but it didn’t happen… their garden is beautiful and they work very hard in it and it shows… they’ve a summerhouse half way up that has water and electricity to it along with huge outside table and another massive seating area…
I really enjoyed seeing so many people I’d not seen for a long time and it felt almost like normal times…
Returned home in time for lunch and then sat outside enjoying the sunshine and a good read…
Late afternoon planted the rest of the sweet peas out and put some netting between the bamboo posts so they plants climb up all over it… 🤞🤞
We had chicken and pepper kebabs that I made up bbq’d with salad…  sat out enjoying a balmy evening with a clear blue sky… hope these days last as it just lifts the spirits… wonder what Boris will have to say… think we all probably know the 21st isn’t going to be opened up….

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 June 21 22:27 BST (UK) »
Drove my daughter through to an athletics comp on the other side of the country.  A bit awkward since couldn't go in and spectate like we used to.  Drove her sister to see the Falkirk wheel in preference to hanging about in the car park.  I felt terribly anxious as lots of people about.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 June 21 23:23 BST (UK) »
The garden visit sounds lovely Caroline and even more so when the garden belongs to your friends. Hope you partook of some of the refreshments yourself.

PharmaT, I've seen the Falkirk wheel on TV, looks spectacular.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 00:11 BST (UK) »