Author Topic: Mr John Murphy Marblemason of Derbyshire  (Read 884 times)

Offline woodviewpark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mr John Murphy Marblemason of Derbyshire
« on: Monday 14 June 21 03:25 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information on my 2 x g grandfather from Ireland who moved to Derbyshire .John Murphy b 24 May 1819 in Dublin, Ireland, was apprenticed to Mr John Vallance of Derbyshire, at the suggestion of Dowager Marchioness of Ormonde, a family friend and a woman whose patronage caused John to move to England to learn his trade. I have found Johns' obituary listing his father as a soldier and detailing young Johns' apprenticeship to the trade, where he became a marble mason with his own business in Madron / Penzance, Cornwall, after being the foreman of the Penzance Serpentine Co. in 1850s. He then had his own business and lived in Market Jew St, Penzance. I am interested in his life in Cornwall, he married Elizabeth Bryan, daughter of Benjamin Bryan and Mary Bown, (the family had some of the  show caverns, Coalpit Rake/Devonshire Cavern,)  in Matlock Bath in 1841 in Matlock Bath and had 11 children. They moved to Penzance in 1850,  I am also keen to know more about his family, he had 7 brothers and one sister who eventually came to England also, from Ireland. John was also an inventor who mastered a method to arrest the decay of stone, he and one other rival were selected eventually to conduct further trials about this process, but John died before he found out the results of his discovery. Any information on this family would be most appreciated.

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mr John Murphy Marblemason of Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 June 21 12:35 BST (UK) »
Can't help with the family but the pictures look to be of Ashford Black Marble, which may generate more info.
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,
travis, gill, barker, fielding- derbyshire

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 June 21 14:04 BST (UK) »
Some newspaper cuttings:-

Derby Mercury 12 May 1841
Marriages
"On the 3d instant, at Matlock, Mr. John Murphy; marblemason, to Elizabeth, daughter of Mr. Bryan, of MatlockBath."

Derbyshire Courier 28 March 1846
"Attempted Robbery near Matlock.—As Mr. John Murphy, marble worker of Matlock, was returning a few evenings since on horseback from Bakewell, where he had been receiving some money, he was attacked the turnpike-road, near the Moothall mine,..."

The Cornish Telegraph 27 October 1858
PENZANCE
"Serpentine and Marble Works.
JOHN MURPHY
BEGS respectfully inform the Nobility, Clergy, Gentry, and public generally that he has purchased ENTIRE STOCK AND PLANT of Mr. ORGAN who is retiring from the business. Having had nine years' experience as Foreman to Mr. Organ..."

Quite a few more in Cornwall

David

Offline woodviewpark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 02:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you David, I have been researching for nearly 20 yrs and missed these, appreciated.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Not the only workman to move from Matlock Bath, this info obtained from

http://www.wirksworth.org.uk/B99-MADR.htm

The Charles Wildgoose b. 1821 Matlock, mentioned is on 1851 census Madron.  On Ancestry his name transcribed as Medgoose, FindMyPast has it correct.  There are other marble workers 1851 Madron.

Quickest way to find, select 1851 census enter born Derbyshire, lived in Madron.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline woodviewpark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 04:34 BST (UK) »
thank you, what an amazing amount of information! I had forgotton this site, appreciated