Author Topic: Finding Treasure  (Read 2089 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Finding Treasure
« on: Monday 14 June 21 14:46 BST (UK) »
Interesting package from my grandmother s possessions

A passport from 1930 with her children named .

And a dance card with two dates and a pressed flower...pansy ?

Which we think is from her first date with my grandfather 1925 .

Her biscuit barrel .
Stamp collection.
Books awarded as prizes from school .
Photos of her grandchildren ...my generation that weve not seen before

+ Of her siblings from the early 1900's

More to come ...my aunt b 1926 has all sorts of things stashed away .
But we dont know what to do with such treasures.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Treasure
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 June 21 16:09 BST (UK) »
Whoever still remembers her should keep them as a precious memento.  After that, tell the younger generation to do as they will with them.  (Although firstly I would ensure that the old photos are scanned and put on the family tree, or, if there is no personal FT,  research through other family trees and offer them for entry should you come across this lady.)  The books should be donated to a charity shop.  The stamp collection may be of value, get it appraised.  And the same for auntie's goods. 

I have a couple of letters from my mum...my siblings are long gone.  Himself will read them again if I go first (he and my mum loved one another to pieces) and then destroy them (there are no children).  Ditto from my aunt/godmother.  Photos have already been categorised and scanned into the site.  Others have been distributed to appropriate people and, again, what is left will be destroyed.  If I follow the family trend (females going on to their centenary or close), I could last to 100+; if I am still here on my 100th, and still compos mentis, I shall destroy them myself but thoroughly enjoy the memories they will bring at that particular moment.  Am I being too sentimental?  Maybe so, but I have had - until now - a wonderful life and I treasure being able to remember the times gone by by looking at/touching/reading these treasures.
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 June 21 18:34 BST (UK) »
Oh, in the grand scheme of things they take up little room and have been treasured for a long time, keep them,well labelled and hope someone after you will also treasure them ,however warn them you will come back to haunt them and possibly the original,owner will too, if they are just chucked out.
Try to find an alternative  homer, say a local “People’s Museum “ they will be kept there and no one has a guilty conscience.
Viktoria.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 June 21 18:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your comments .
My cousins wanted us to take as much as possible and find good homes for some things

I am taking responsibility for the photos have identified some 3rd cousins from trees who may want photos of their great grandmothers

Kept a few momentos for each grandchild the younger generation arent interested now but maybe in future
Cousin sold her fathers ww2 uniform on e bay to someone who will display it
& Has already given a lot to charity 

brother in law will take over the stamp collections .

Weve all agreed to take some bags to sort through .and not throw things away that we may regret later .

Enjoyable afternoon sitting in garden identifying baby photos and golden wedding of great grandparents.

its nice to be able to do this when its not just after  someones death .my aunt is in a care home and can no longer see but specifically asked for me to look through her fathers navy photos and wants her mother stamp collection to stay in family.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 June 21 20:08 BST (UK) »
Just found among a box of stamps this foldover card from London  addressed to my granma. starts

dear mummy describes the  coronation procession and ends don't throw this card away it's a first day cover .....priceless

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 22:58 BST (UK) »
That's a real gem and a stamp collectors' treasure. Great to see it in such good condition too. How exciting to have those treasures to enjoy and preserve.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 23:19 BST (UK) »
Just an observation. The coronation was on the 2nd June but the date stamp is 3rd.
I remember watching it on a tiny tele at my aunty's  ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 09:05 BST (UK) »
Yes gadget i noticed that but she obviously posted it after watching the coronation and presumably there were no collections on the second

Unfortunately it was bent to fit in stamp box so it does have a fold mark.
I ought to know about
First day covers because my grandad sent one to me every issue from 1967- 1975 did they have to be posted on day of issue or was there some leeway

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 09:07 BST (UK) »
I also found a postcard from Belgium to my grandparents from my dad he was obviously settling in so must have been during his student days or training ...i didnt know hed lived there and cant read postmark