Author Topic: Mystery of James Bain  (Read 3331 times)

Offline Margow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery of James Bain
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 15:30 BST (UK) »
Like Millmoor, I cannot see a death on SP for George Bain between 1851 and 1861.  However, there is a death on SP for George BAIRD which sounds like a fit for the George Bain whose death is reported in the Caledonian Mercury of 16 May 1857.

George Baird, carpenter (journeyman) (married) died 15 May 1857 at 5.45 a.m. at the bottom of Huntly Street, usual residence 16 Brandon Street, aged 41.  Son of James Baird, greengrocer, and Elizabeth Baird m.s. Orrell.
Cause of death: bursting of a bloodvessel.  Informant: James Baird, father, Silver Mills, Edinburgh.

Margow

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 15:39 BST (UK) »
That is fantastic!! Many, many thanks!

Sue

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 23:53 BST (UK) »
In the 1871 census, 16 Charles St, St Giles, Edinburgh
Elizth Bain 50 (mother and manglewoman) is with her children
Thomas Bain 20 Printer compositor (head of house)
John Bain 15 brass finisher
Robert Bain 13 message boy
Jemina Bain 7 school student
And cousins: Annie Christie 11, Elizabeth Christie 8 & Thomas Christie 3

Death certificate for Elizabeth Bain, nee Christie
CHRISTIE   ELIZABETH   60   Mothers name: STEPHEN   1881   685/4 19   St Giles / Edinburgh

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Margow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 11:05 BST (UK) »
According to Elizabeth Bain (m.s. Christie)'s death certificate, she was the widow of George Bain, ship's carpenter.

Margow

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 13:43 BST (UK) »
Interesting to note in the 1871 census quoted above Jemima Bain showing as daughter of Elizabeth. I cannot see a birth for her but can see a likely death in 1874. Presumably George was not the father!

Bain Jemima 10. Mother's maiden name: Christie 1874 St Giles RD

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks

Thanks for everything!

However, all this information has thrown up even more confusion!
The George Bain/Baird who died on the 15th May 1857, doesn't seem to have been 'my' James Bain's father.
I was alerted to this fact by the name Elizabeth Orrell on his death notice.
In fact, this George Baird married Elizabeth Orrell in Edinburgh on the 24th March 1844.
They had five children - James baptised on the 22nd June 1845, Elizabeth Ann, baptised on the 21st May 1848, George Christie, baptised on the 21st December 1852, Margaret, baptised on the 4th March 1855, and Mary Ann, baptised on the 8th April 1857.

Elizabeth was born in England, and can be found with her father on the Scottish 1851  census, as Elizabeth Orrell Baird, with her two elder children, James and Elizabeth Ann. No sign of George.
By 1861, she had returned to Liverpool with her father, James Orrell, and children, James, Elizabeth, George and Mary Ann; she was listed as 'widowed'
Her son, James, who was also almost the same age as 'my' James, remained in Lancashire, working as a whitesmith, and marrying Elizabeth Hunter in Liverpool on the 18th September 1865, naming his father as George Bird (Baird), a joiner.

Also, Elizabeth Christie, who married 'my' George Bain was definitely the daughter of James Christie and Ann Paxton - her mother was not a 'Stephen.'
This can be proved in two ways, firstly Elizabeth gives her place of birth on the 1851, 1861, and 1871 census as Logie-Pert.
This is also listed as her baptism place; she was born on the 30th April 1820, and baptised there on the 8th May.
It can be backed up by the presence of her nieces and nephews on the 1871 census, Ann, Elizabeth and Thomas Christie.
They were the children of Elizabeth's younger brother, Thomas Low Christie, and his wife, Ann Alexender. Thomas had been born in Logie-Pert on the 1st April 1829, son of James Christie and Ann Paxton.

So, it would seem that a George Bain, a carpenter, had married Elizabeth Christie and went on to have my James, and another, George Baird, also a carpenter,had married an Elizabeth Orrell and also had a son, James.
Both George's final child had been born in 1857, and both were dead by 1861.

Very confusing, but definitely two different families.
Does every one agree?

Thanks Sue

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 20:50 BST (UK) »
I agree George BAIRD is not correct.
I think the Death for Elizabeth in 1881, is correct. It is not uncommon for errors to be made on death regos., as it depended on the knowledge of the informant. Have a look on the death cert. to see the name of informant, and the address. This will confirm it for you, or not. As you research the family further you may find the name STEPHENS comes from elsewhere in the family, and was confused by the informant at Elizabeth’s death.
George as a ships carpenter, would explain his absence from the 1851 census, if he was away at sea. If he died at sea, it might also explain why it is difficult to find a record of his death.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 June 21 01:43 BST (UK) »

BAIN-WATSON marriage certificate, 1874, what names do you see for witnesses?

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 June 21 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

Witnesses at the marriage not much help I'm afriad.

John Watson - a relative of Barbara Kish Watson and a George Ledanghan (really difficult to decipher).

Thanks
Sue