Author Topic: Children after Father’s Death  (Read 1084 times)

Offline bfrance99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Children after Father’s Death
« on: Monday 14 June 21 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone!

I am interested to know if other people have come across similar situations with family research in relation to children following deaths of a father.

I have a relation, Fanny Reeves (born in Newtown Linford, Leicestershire in 1853 approx) who married Freestone Reeves (born in Gaddesby, Leicestershire in 1851 approx). They had a number of children together before Freestone died in 1888. In the 1891 census, Fanny’s marital status is widowed.

However, she has a few more children following his death (William Henry b. 1890, Dymock Johnson b. 1893 and Arthur b. 1899), despite not remarrying. I haven’t ordered any birth certificates for these children but the birth record lists them under Reeves (and either not having a mother’s maiden name disclosed or their mother’s maiden name being Reeves).

I found the baptism record for these children as well - both William and Dymock were baptised in 1896 and don’t have their father’s name or occupation listed. They were also baptised with their older sibling, Joseph, who was actually born before Freestone’s death so presumably has Freestone’s name on his birth certificate. Despite this, Freestone is still not listed on the baptism record.

Arthur was baptised in 1907 (along with his niece and nephew), but he was baptised in Belgrave, Leicester and away from Newtown Linford where the whole family grew up. Interestingly, Freestone is listed as the father on the baptism record - despite him being deceased 11 years before Arthur’s birth!

It seems like Fanny got pregnant out of wedlock following the death of Freestone, as I haven’t seen any evidence that she remarried. I was simply wondering about the context of this, and if anyone has any similar stories to share. Many thanks.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Children after Father’s Death
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 June 21 21:44 BST (UK) »
Yes, it happened. My gg-grandmother had a son 4 years after her husband’s death, though she helpfully included the natural father’s surname as a middle name (coincidentally it was Reeves! She later married Mr Reeves).

“Dymock” and “Johnson” are interesting given names. Did they occur in Fanny’s family, or might they be clues to paternity?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 June 21 21:47 BST (UK) »
Oh I see she was in fact Fanny Johnson when she married Freeston Reeves in 1870.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline bfrance99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 June 21 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for your response. I’m guessing that women in those times would have been shamed by their neighbours for such behaviour? As I said in my original post, Fanny and her family moved from Newtown Linford to Belgrave, I’m assuming at least partially for a new start of sorts, where everyone would assume Freestone died following the death of all her children.

Dymock is unusual (sometimes spelled Dimmock in censuses) but I haven’t come across it elsewhere yet. Perhaps it could give a clue to his natural father? Johnson is Fanny’s maiden name.

Offline bfrance99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 June 21 21:50 BST (UK) »
Also very strange that your similar case includes the name Reeves!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 June 21 21:53 BST (UK) »
If I were you I’d be looking for a Mr Dymock in the vicinity  :)

Offline bfrance99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 June 21 22:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip!

Just done a quick search and I’ve found a Dymock (or Dymoke) Martin (b. 1844 approx) who was a travelling salesman in Leicestershire in 1891. There’s a death record for him dying in Barrow upon Soar, Leicestershire in 1916 (which was the area that encompassed Newtown Linford) so this is possibly him.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 June 21 22:04 BST (UK) »
Ah - very interesting! DNA genalogy can be helpful in confirming paternity in these situations, if there are descendants to test.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 June 21 22:35 BST (UK) »
I think if you ordered the birth certificate you would find a line in space of father's name and there might be a reference to Fanny's maiden name or that REEVES is her married name

I would also go with the Mr Dymock theory
It helped women in paternity cases if the child was given the putative father's name ...maybe there is a record of court case or an affiliation order .

But as avm said only DNA could prove  it and you'd have to find a Dymock relation who has tested or is willing to test
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson