Author Topic: Descendant Search Suggestions  (Read 488 times)

Offline TMcCrea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Descendant Search Suggestions
« on: Tuesday 15 June 21 01:21 BST (UK) »
Within the past few months I have been able to connect with McCrea second cousins in the Ballyclare area, sadly, their knowledge of relatives is limited. The problem is that the people with whom I have made contact are descended from my grandfather's brother, James McCrea, who was Presbyterian and married a Catholic and was ostracized by the family. It is sad that this goes on one hundred years later and people don't know their own cousins who live nearby!

James McCrea (1877-1948) had two siblings who remained in County Antrim, John Blair McCrea and wife Maria Cummings and Andrew McCrea and wife Jane Wilson Watt. The children of these couples are all gone, however grandchildren are still in the area.

My question is, how do I find the names of grand and great grandchildren who who were born too recently to be in available registrations? I am finding obituaries limited and containing very little useful information.

Last week I learned that it is common practice to bury more than one person in a grave and there is not always a headstone to identify the deceased. This leave us with burial records, which I am finding are hard to get. Hopefully, I can locate a person who has a family bible, or some other birth and death record.

Suggestions will be appreciated.
McCrea

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Descendant Search Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 09:01 BST (UK) »
Most Presbyterian churches didn't keep burial records.

It can be difficult to get 'recent' records and there's no one sure way of tracking down living or recently deceased people. Usually it's a matter of trying absolutely everything and being very lucky. So, here are a few suggestions-
1) online family trees (not always accurate but gives a starting point)
2) googling lots of different combinations (full name, surname + place, 2 surnames. etc.)
3) Facebook (not just for young people as I know people in their 90s on it)- and if you do get a possible lead check out their friends (if viewable), photos (relatives often tagged), names of people who 'liked' their posts (may also be relatives)
4) obituaries (go back to the ones you might have found and start using google to search addresses or names mentioned or even surname + church/cemetery)
5) newspaper articles (might appear in google search)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline TMcCrea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 10:13 BST (UK) »
aghadowey,

Thanks for the reply. Since I have been doing this for over twenty years, I have been using your suggestions for a long time. My recent connections to second cousins happened because I sent a message to a randomly chosen McCrea on Facebook and got a reply. By looking at that person's friends, I have been able to assemble many family members.

I have also been helped by contacting historical societies and having someone research local sources for me. Three years ago a man searched newspapers on microfilm and provided an obituary for a third uncle I had been researching for over fifteen years which also informed me of a daughter I didn't know existed. Once in awhile I come up with a new way of finding information, but find Northern Ireland challenging.
McCrea

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 10:24 BST (UK) »
There is a son's name mentioned in a local newspaper's sport pages, following Andrew McCrea's 1943 death.  You may already have same.

Andrew was apparently one of the best known sportsmen in the town, as well as a pigeon lover, and even in his later years, retained an interest in sport.

The son's birth:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/25f3ce1586230

The son is possibly same chap of a 1943 marriage in Ballymena area.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline TMcCrea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 11:42 BST (UK) »
scotmum,

Where did you find the newspaper article? I use Newspapers.com which is quite good in the US, not so much in Northern Ireland.

Which son was mentioned? I have birth dates for the children, but nothing else at this time.
McCrea

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 13:07 BST (UK) »
Scotmum posted birth registration for son Horatio who was mentioned in local sports articles.

Here's one mention of him shortly before father died-
Larne Times, 23 Apr.1942: ... losing heart. The Mills renewed their attacks, and good Critical Survey. The outstanding player of the twenty-two was Horatio M'Crea (Paper Mills inside-right). He produced some clever touches, gave his partner numerous delightful passes, and worked like ...

Possibly married Bessie?
Belfast Telegraph, 3 Dec.1981: BROWN. LILY December 1, 1941*, at Hospital. Deeply regretted by her loving Friends Bessie and Horatio McCrea, Moorfields, Ballymena. Till we meet again. God bless.
Note: either this is an In Memorium notice or date of death should be 1981 but in view of the following marriage 1941 date not likely.
(from free search on https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search/irish-newspapers)

Marriage 19 Jan.1943 Ballymena district- Horatio McCrea to Elizabeth Surgeoner (from GRONI's database)
Larne Times, 11 Feb.1943: ... Congratulations and best wishes to Horatio M'Crea (NI. Paper Mills) on the occasion of his marriage. ...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 13:19 BST (UK) »
A headstone transcription from The Braid,
given that McCrea and Brown surnames are mentioned:

.    McCrea
St Patrick's Church of Ireland, Ballymarlow
McCrea Precious memories of a dear husband and father Horatio died 25th August 193 Also his daughter Elizabeth Brown died 17th May 1993 The Lord is my Shepherd [on flower holder] In loving memory of Betsy     

Either a different Horatio or, as is possible given the '193', the dates have been mis-transcribed.

Re newspaper finds, the British Newspapers Archive and/or FindMyPast.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline TMcCrea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 23:28 BST (UK) »
Scotmum  and aghadowey,

Thanks for the additional information. I do have birth and marriage records for Horatio, but no death record.

I find it interesting that Horatio's uncle, John Blair McCrea, had a James Brown (age 36) in his home for the census of 1911. Also, his brother, William, married a Mary Brown.
McCrea