Author Topic: searching for family Dumfries Census 1841  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
searching for family Dumfries Census 1841
« on: Tuesday 15 June 21 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have been trying to locate a family found on the 1841 Census,

High Street Dumfries Scotland

George Lewis age 45/65 B. 1776/1796 Ireland Nail Maker
* have seen his age listed different on S.P, Free Cen and Find my past

Dorothy/Dorothea Lewis  age 45 B. 1796 Scotland (out of County)
Alexander Lewis age 15 B. abt 1826 Dumfries Scotland Nail Maker
William Lewis age 11 B. abt 1830 Scotland (out of County)
Mary Ann Lewis age 9 B. abt 1832 Dumfries Scotland

George Lewis Married Dorothy Neilson (not sure if this is maiden name or was she a widow)
on the 26/10/1838 Dumfries, George states he is a widower.
They seem to be around High St, St Michaels Close and Queensberry St Area,
Quite a few Neilson men in this area as well, Spirit Dealer, Inn keeper.

I have been trying to find a 1st wife for George with no luck,
 I believe see would be the mother of the 3 children.

I found a mention in Pigot's Directory for a George Lewis 1825 Dumfries Nail Maker, but nothing else!

Son Alexander Lewis Married on the 30/3/1849 Dumfries Frances Mullins (variation Mullen/s)
have found 2 children born in Dumfries before they left for Newcastle upon Tyne Northumberland
were they had about 3 more children, Alexander is now a shoe maker.
There was also a paternity Case 1849 for Alexander as Father of a child born to Mary Craik.

Nothing really found for William Lewis a possible marriage but not sure?.

Mary Ann Lewis came was in Victoria Australia by 1851 and Have all the family history from this time onward. There is no helpful information on Mary Ann's Marriage Cert in Australia, no parents
named and her Death Cert only lists Father: - Lewis a blacksmith Mother: Unknown but states she
was born about 1832 Dumfries Scotland.

I have not found George or Dorothea after 1841 Census, so not sure if they died in Scotland or immigrated to another Country.

Would really like to find birth/bap for the 3 children or 1st marriage for George so that I can find
the children's mother.

any information on this Family greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jagah

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: searching for family Dumfries Census 1841
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 11:57 BST (UK) »
No earlier marriage for George or birth records for their children.

Deaths for Dumfries are on SP 1614 – 1854 but no Lewis deaths in the period to 1855.

On the SP census for Dumfries 1851 there are the following but you would need to check originals.

ALEXANDER 25, FRANCIS 21 (as spelt) MARY  1.

At a separate location but I guess nearby.

WILLIAM 21, SUSAN 21 but no marriage.

Neither are there in 1861.

Mary Anne would only be around 19 in 1851 and her father and his wife in their 50s, maybe they all went to Australia?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 12:09 BST (UK) »
This on family search but might not help much?

George Lewis married Jane Eustace
23 Mar 1818 Ireland

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 13:01 BST (UK) »
Colin,
Thank you so much for your time in searching for this family,

George Lewis and family are proving very difficult to find any records!
The Alexander 25 Francis/Frances 21 and Mary 1 are the correct family they also had a son
John Crosbie Lewis 4/7/1851 Dumfries before moving to Newcastle upon Tyne about 1852.

The William 21 with Susan 21 her Maiden name was Thomson married 1/11/1850 Dumfries
and is a very good possibility,
 they named their 1st son George and found them in Brooklyn, kings Co, New York on 1880 census, I only found this today searching in case it is William.

As for Mary Ann she appears to come to Australia on her own on the government Scheme in 1848, and married in 1852.
I have not found and trace of George and Dorothy coming to Australia although the time was right,
as a lot of Scottish also came with companies to help with building the railway etc in Queensland
and George being a nail maker/Blacksmith would have the qualifications.

Thank you also for the information on a marriage in Ireland of George Lewis to Jane Eustace,
 as you probably know Irish Records are very difficult to find, but will try follow this one further.

I have found only 1 George Lewis born Ireland 1777, no others between 1777-1800, so not sure as I have found 2 ages for George 45/65 on different sites.

Thank you again for your help
Regards
Jagah

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 June 21 15:11 BST (UK) »
George Lewis age 45/65 B. 1776/1796 Ireland Nail Maker
* have seen his age listed different on S.P, Free Cen and Find my past
Best to look at the original document on SP and make up your own mind what it actually says.

George Lewis Married Dorothy Neilson (not sure if this is maiden name or was she a widow)
The normal practice in Scotland is to list a remarryng widow by her maiden surname.

Alexander was aged 25 in the 1851 census, so if this is accurate he was born in 1825 or 1826, and in the parish of Dumfries, not just the county.

William was 21, so if accurate he was born in 1829 or 1830, and in Maxwellton, parish of Troqueer, which is in Kirkcudbrightshire.

Those do fit the birth counties as listed in the 1841 census.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 02:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Forfarian,
Thank you for time and information always appreciated,

S.P have 1841 Census High St Dumfries:
 George"Lewie" Age 65 Born Ireland ( So will use that age)
 it also fits with the only George Lewis I found born in Ireland between 1776-1796,
Born 1777 St Catherines Dublin Ireland??.

Thank you also for information on Women remarrying with maiden name.

Question:
when the women die are they buried with Maiden or married name?
( Just new to Scottish name Tradition and naming patterns, but have learnt a lot of helpful information on this site)

Sorry if I posted the information incorrect about not born in county, I was just stating how it was written on the document rather than parish.

I still cannot find a baptism record for Alexander or Mary Ann,
 I have Searched S.P just using First Names as Lewis has been recorded with so many different spellings,
 I  Searched  for example: Mary Ann all of Scotland and every year From 1828-1834
and the same for Alexander 1824-1827, Still no luck!

William Born : 1830 Maxwelltown, Troqueer, Kirkcudbrightshire (Not so far from Dumfries)
I have had great success following him and his wife Susan( Nee Thomson) to Brooklyn, Kings Co, New York.
They left Scotland after the birth of their 1st son George b1852 (possibly named for his father)
Their next son was born in New Brunswick Canada about 1855 along with 4 more children,
George b. 1852 Scotland
William b. 1855 Canada
John b. 1857 Canada
Jane b. 1859 Canada
Carrie "Jessie" b. Canada
Henry b. 1863 Canada
they then went to Brooklyn New York  abt 1770.
A bonus was on Williams Death Record it lists his Parents as:
 George Lewis b.Ireland and Jannette ?  b.Scotland

So this ties in with a George "Lewars" married Janet Little 2.1.1814 Troqueer, Kirkcudbrightshire.

George and Janet have the following Children: All as Lewis not Lewars
Agnes Lewis bap.  1.10.1814 Troqueer
John Lewis   bap.  17.12.1816 Troqueer
James Lewis bap.  13.3.1819 Troqueer
Jess** Lewis bap.  25.12.1820 Toqueer
Susan Lewis  bap.  28.4.1823 Troqueer
No Alexander Lewis found
William Lewis b. 1830 Maxwelltown ,Troqueer (I didn't find this on S.P)
No Mary Ann Lewis found

Janet would then have Died possibly between 1832-1838, as George remarried Dorothy 1838
but can't find a death for a Janet/Jane Lewis.

As mentioned in earlier post, I found a George Lewis Nail Maker 1825 Dumfries, so they either moved parish/county after the birth of Susan 1823 from Troqueer to Dumfries, then Alexander is  born Dumfries, William born back in Troqueer and then Mary Ann back in Dumfries.

I may also have this all wrong and could be 2 different families.

So I still can't be certain this is the correct family, not until I can find Alexander and Mary Ann.

Regards
Jagah

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 08:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you also for information on Women remarrying with maiden name.
Question:
when the women die are they buried with Maiden or married name?
Can be either.

Sometimes it lists 'xxx yyy or zzz'; 'xxx' is the given name, 'yyy' the maiden name and 'zzz' the husband's surname.

'Widow zzz' is generally the widow of a Mr zzz.

'xxx yyy' is probably the maiden name in older records, but not always.

After 1855 the death certificate gives both or all surnames, assuming that the informant knew, of course.

Sorry if I posted the information incorrect about not born in county, I was just stating how it was written on the document rather than parish.
You didn't.

The original 1841 census just shows 'Y' for born in the same county, 'N' for born in the same country but not the same county, and then 'I' for born in Ireland, 'E' for born in England, maybe 'W' for born in Wales though I don't think I've ever seen that, 'S' for Scotland if they are in the census outwith Scotland, and 'F' for 'Foreign'.

It's only when they are transcribed that things like 'born in County' or 'not born in county' are substituted for 'Y' and 'N'.

I still cannot find a baptism record for Alexander or Mary Ann
That's not unusual. It is quite possible that their baptism records, if they ever existed, have not survived.

A bonus was on Williams Death Record it lists his Parents as:
 George Lewis b.Ireland and Jannette ?  b.Scotland
So this ties in with a George "Lewars" married Janet Little 2.1.1814 Troqueer, Kirkcudbrightshire.
Yes, that looks quite possible.

William Lewis b. 1830 Maxwelltown ,Troqueer (I didn't find this on S.P)
Where did you find it? It could be that someone has simply subtracted his age from a census and put it into a web site somewhere as his birth year.

can't find a death for a Janet/Jane Lewis.
Death records before 1855 are very hit-and-miss. There are several main sources
- burial records. Some parishes just didn't keep any record, however.
- mortcloth fees. Every parish had one or more mortcloths, which were large cloths used to cover the coffin during the funeral. The relatives paid a fee for the hire of the mortcloth, and the kirk accounts often record the name of the person whose funeral it was.
- gravestone inscriptions.
- newspaper announcements or reports. Usually only well-off or well-known people.
- sasines, which are the records of transfer of ownership of land, so obviously only people who owned land.
- testaments and deeds, again usually only people with an estate to pass on after their death.

I may also have this all wrong and could be 2 different families.
You're wise to bear this in mind but I think you are on the right lines.

So I still can't be certain this is the correct family, not until I can find Alexander and Mary Ann.
Pity none of them stayed and died in Scotland - their death certificates would have named their parents.

There's a death of John Lewis, aged 70, in Kelton in 1886, mother's maiden surname Little. Might be worth a look at that certificate.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 08:47 BST (UK) »
George"Lewie" Age 65 Born Ireland ( So will use that age)

A thing to note is that in the 1841 census (not the others) adult ages were supposed to be rounded down. That means someone whose age is given as 65 might actually be 65, 66, 67, 68 or 69. Additionally, the fact that some people gave their age as 65 if they were still 64 and in their 65th year and that some people were not sure of their age at all, it all adds to the fun.

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 10:35 BST (UK) »
 Forfarian
Thank you again for explaining the Maiden/married name for Burials, I had looked for both as I always do for female burials, but as you say before 1855 very hard to find if any, I would be only assuming
but I don't think the family would have been in a position for a burial/Headstone or obituary.

Thank you also for reminding me about the Mortcloth ! I had completely forgotten about this record keeping with kirk accounts, I had seen this in a documentary some years back and must remember this in future searches.
I must say though I am glad my Mary Ann Lewis b. 1832 didn't stay in Scotland for a death record
or I may not be Here!!

You asked where I found the record for William B1830 Maxwelltown troqueer Kirkcudbright??
I have just spent 2 hours going over my notes and print outs and do you think I can find it!
Have rechecked S.P just to be certain and definitely not there, I have Subs with Anc*, Find my past and also use family search and a Dumfries History site,
It was not from a Persons Tree as I prefer to find the information myself, Love the hunt and playing detective!
Have a feeling it was from his information I found in Brooklyn New York, so will spend time on it tomorrow, I am sure it is in my notes, you can never find things when your rushing.
I will also follow up your suggestion of John Lewis age 70 Kelton, along with 1 other William Lewis I have found also in Dumfries Census 1851 b Durisdeer, and also though I would search for the Little family as well.
Many Thanks

GR2
Thank you also for information regarding ages on census, Something to remember when researching in the future.

Many Thanks
Regards
Jagah