Author Topic: searching for family Dumfries Census 1841  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: searching for family Dumfries Census 1841
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 11:19 BST (UK) »
You asked where I found the record for William B1830 Maxwelltown troqueer Kirkcudbright??
It was not from a Persons Tree as I prefer to find the information myself, Love the hunt and playing detective!
That's the important bit :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 12:39 BST (UK) »
Forfarian,

I found it......

1851 Census on Anc*
William Lewis
B. 1830 Troqueer, Maxwelltowne(spelt like that) that's all no County

All the other details on the census match
not sure how much I can post, but his wife's details are correct and a brother in law living with them.
phew thought I was going crazy!

I have now ruled out the other William Lewis also on the 1851 Census Dumfries b. Durisdeer.
so it really only leaves this William,
 funny how how the 2 missing records for Bap. are the Dumfries Records and of course the one I really need for Mary Ann Lewis!

Will look at the Little family next, a few also in Dumfries around the same time, you never know what that may turn up?.

thanks again for all your advice and help

Regards
Jagah

P.S just watched the latest Australian Series of WDYTYA
ended up in Drydale Dumfries!!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 12:53 BST (UK) »
Forfarian,
I found it......
1851 Census on Anc*
William Lewis
B. 1830 Troqueer, Maxwelltowne(spelt like that) that's all no County
That's what I suspected.

The 1851 census was taken on 30 March 1851, and William is shown as aged 21. That means that if his age is accurate he was born between 31 March 1829 and 30 March 1830. So he's three times more likely to have been born in 1829 than in 1830, but someone has 'calculated' his year of birth by subtracting 21 from 1851.

The transcription on FindMyPast matches the one you quote - no county listed - except that there's no e on the end of Maxwelltown.

In 1841 he is listed as aged 11. The 1841 census date was 7 June, so if his age is accurate he was born between 8 June 1829 and 7 June 1830.

So your best estimate of his DoB is that it was between 8 June 1829 and 30 March 1830.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 13:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that helpful information Forfarian,

Just looked at all his census records for Brooklyn, New York and on the 1900 census, the last record before he died 1901,
He has his date recorded as Jan 1830!

You were spot on.

Regards
 Jagah

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 June 21 07:34 BST (UK) »
Just an update,
after a suggestion from Forfarian to look at a John Lewis death 1886 Kelton Kirkcudbrightshire
I have purchased the Death certificate,
BINGO! John was the son of George Lewis Nail Maker Deceased & Janet Little Deceased
so this has lead to many more finds and connecting the family together, I have now found another sister also came to Australia.

I also purchased the Marriage of George "Lewars" Lewis and Jane Little, (See Attachment)
I am having trouble with the 2 words after George's name, would someone like to have a guess?.
It looks to me like Dumf Nail, but Could be wishful thinking.

Many Thanks again Forfarian for your suggestion, still working on the other siblings

Regards
Jagah

Edit sorry had to remove attachment , will try attach again

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 June 21 08:14 BST (UK) »
Try to attach again Marriage Cert again

Jagah