Author Topic: James Nathaniel Shuttleworth - Date of Death  (Read 4604 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: James Nathaniel Shuttleworth - Date of Death
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 04:53 BST (UK) »
1851 - several chaps in NSW by the name of James SHUTTLEWORTH.

Camperdown Cemetery
James Shuttleworth of Market Street (JM notes this is still a street in the CBD of Sydney), died 16 March 1851.  Cause of death : Extravastation of Urine.  He was aged 52 years, he died at the Infirmary.  He was buried 18 March 1851. 

Index:
http://gutenberg.net.au/camperdownNSW/_namelist-deathdateorder.html
ID no. 1020.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 04:58 BST (UK) »

Parramatta Quarter Sessions, 14 May 1851
James SHUTTLEWORTH trial for Stealing sheep.

See the book Guilty or Not Guilty.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 05:03 BST (UK) »
Well, there seems to be a lot of discrepancy about the convict's age.
Here, when he married for the first time, with permission from the Governor, he was born 1799.
Or do I have the wrong man?

SHUTTLEWORTH, James
Per Mangles 1
Age - 31; Sentence - 14 yrs; Condition - Ticket of Leave.
To MUIRHEAD, Mary
Per Louisa
Age - 31;
Sentence - 14 yrs; Condition - Bond.   Sydney
Date 15 May 1830
By Revd J. D. Lang   (NRS 12212 [4/4508; Fiche 780])

Sue

Yes, and from the Church Register I add:
James SHUTTLEWORTH, aged 31, a Bachelor of Sydney, (he signed), and Mary MUIRHEAD aged 31, a Spinster of Sydney (her X mark), married 21 May 1830, by Banns with the consent of 'Those concerned'.  Registered Scots Church, Sydney, by Rev John Dunmore Lang.  Witnesses: James LIDDELL of Sydney (signed), and Mary LIDDELL of Sydney (X mark), noting that James Liddell has written Mary Liddell's name on the register.   (JM suggests : so it is likely the marriage was in Sydney and the entry in Scots Church register is the original and not a transmitted record sent through to Sydney).

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 05:16 BST (UK) »

Parramatta Quarter Sessions, 14 May 1851
James SHUTTLEWORTH trial for Stealing sheep.

See the book Guilty or Not Guilty.

JM

This chap was found guilty at the trial held 13 August 1851,  hand was sentenced to 12 months Hard Labour in Parra Gaol.  (Parra as in Parramatta).  He had been committed on 12 April at Picton.

Offline NevilleTB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 05:18 BST (UK) »
The water is getting murkier. This is what I know.
- The death in 1851 is James Naimby Shuttleworth who was a bankrupt solicitor. That is the one referencing Market St.
- I remember my father talking about his grandfather Mo Shattles who lived around the Hawkesbury. He may be buried at Brooklyn cemetery where other family were buried. He was the son of James.
- There is a record of James birth in Manchester in 1804 https://www.myheritage.com/research/record-30042-54161981/james-shuttleworth-in-england-births-christenings
- There is a marriage record for James and Mary Ann Lewis in 1851 in the lower Hawkesbury. https://www.myheritage.com/research/record-10915-34445/james-n-shuttleworth-and-mary-a-lewis-in-australia-new-south-wales-marriage-index
- There was another convict with the same name in 1829 in Tasmania. Maybe he came to Sydney when he was pardoned??
- We have a James Shattle who was 54 in 1865 died in Windsor. Right area but wrong age.

I had seen the sheep stealing in 1851. Thought it might have been my James.
Thanks for finding the notice about ticket of leave. I will see if I can track down the actual ticket. I found some physical descriptions on another convict in the family so that may be an interesting path to follow.
The trial in the Chester paper is also a promising lead.
Not sure who Mary Muirehead is. Maybe a first wife?

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 05:31 BST (UK) »
Birth

SHUTTLE Moses
13671/1859
Parents James  & Mary A
At WINDSOR

Death notice for Moses
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/27897926

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 05:33 BST (UK) »
The water is getting murkier. This is what I know.
- The death in 1851 is James Naimby Shuttleworth who was a bankrupt solicitor. That is the one referencing Market St.....

Are you absolutely sure? 

Reason :  https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/229600363 NSW Government Gazette 2 June 1857 " Take notice that I, James Naimby Shuttleworth, the above named Insolvent, intend to apply to the Chief Commissioner ..... dated at Sydney this twenty-eighth day of May in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty seven.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 05:45 BST (UK) »
Buried St Peters C of E, Cooks River (Sydney)
No. 613
James Naimby SHUTTLEWORTH of Pitt St, Sydney.  Died 9 March, 1859, buried 11 March, 1859.  Aged 40 years, a Solicitor.

ADD
NSW BDM online index has this as James SHUTTLEWORTH, parents as William and Eleanor, registered Sydney. #298/1859.

SMH 12 March 1859.  On Wednesday 9 March, at the residence of his father in law, 473 South Pitt Street, Mr James Naimby Shuttleworth, solicitor, leaving a wife and three children to lament their loss.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13020215

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 06:18 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann, daughter of James Nathaniel and Mary Ann SHUTTLEWORTH, Chairmaker of Windsor, was born 9 December 1851 and baptised 29 December at St Matthews C of E Windsor by Rev Henry T Stiles. 

I wonder if that James was a son of the James Nathaniel SHUTTLEWORTH who married Mary MUIRHEAD in Sydney in 1830 ...   

Mary MUIRHEAD, TofL 34/51
Prisoner number 27/2821.
Ticket of Leave 1 February 1834
Mary Muirhead, born 1799  tried Edinburgh Court of Justiciary, per Louisa 1827, native of Edinburgh.  Wife of Jas  Shuttleworth per Mangles and holds a TofL for Sydney.
(Prisoner 27/2821 was) allowed to remain in the District of Sydney on recommendation of the Bench.

JM