Author Topic: James Nathaniel Shuttleworth - Date of Death  (Read 4621 times)

Offline NevilleTB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Nathaniel Shuttleworth - Date of Death
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 19 June 21 12:38 BST (UK) »
I am overwhelmed by the skill of you guys who are uncovering all this information. I will not be able to look at it until at least Monday. So much to digest. I Will post again when I can go through all the information. Lesson one seems to believe nothing you read online from family trees.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 19 June 21 13:02 BST (UK) »
I am overwhelmed by the skill of you guys who are uncovering all this information. I will not be able to look at it until at least Monday. So much to digest. I Will post again when I can go through all the information. Lesson one seems to believe nothing you read online from family trees.

I think your lesson one is an excellent and essential  observation.
Lesson two, of course, is spend a penny or 2 on a certificate ;D

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PtE

• RootsChat Member
  • In knowledge lies wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 19 June 21 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone on this thread,
I am descended from the Shuttle family of Great Bedwyn and other places in Wiltshire and tried to find out what happened to Nathan Shuttle when he was transported to Australia. There were a couple of references including the term in prison at Parramatta, but the upshot of the research was that Nathan Shuttle and James Nathaniel Shuttleworth were two different people. As far as I know Nathan Shuttle's death record hasn't been found possibly because he may have died before official registration came into being or that he died in some out of the way place and records were lost.

PtE
Bellingham Kent
Hope Kent
Love Kent
Simmons Kent
Bridgland Kent
Beslee Kent
Patterson Kent
Knott Kent

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 20 June 21 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Neville
As you seem to be directly descended from this line, you may find the following information useful.

What you can expect to see on a NSW birth certificate following the start of civil registration in March 1856

Name
Date
Place
Father's name
Father's occupation
Father's age
Father's birthplace
Mother's name
Maiden name
Mother's age
Mother's birthplace
Marriage date
Previous children

SHUTTEL Sarah J
8196/1856
James & Mary A
at WINDSOR

Ordering available here. $19 at the moment I think
https://nswtranscriptions.com.au/

Sue

ADDING
PtE
What you suggest is perhaps one of the many conclusions which could be drawn and hopefully an ongoing search will clarify matters. ;D

Offline NevilleTB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 21 June 21 09:49 BST (UK) »
I have spent some time today to go through all the information. I also got the birth certificate of Moses, son of James/Nathan/Nathaniel. It is attached. So, what I think I know.

1 - James Nathaniel Shuttleworth born around 1799 arrived on the Mangles in 1820 from Manchester. In 1826 he went to WA - King Georges Sound. In 1830 he married Mary Muirhead. In 1833 he received his Certificate of Freedom. He next appeared in 1841 sentenced to a year in prison and working on an iron gang in Woolloomooloo. No further confirmed information.

2. James Naimby Shuttleworth was a solicitor born about 1817. In 1843 he married Eliza Smith but there is no record of children. It appears the marriage broke down as James N married Julietta A MF Bond at some date around 1850. They had three children. Alfred S B in 1851, James J in 1853 and Harry W in 1858. He died in 1859.

3. There was a James Shuttleworth who arrived in SA from London in 1840 on the Orleana.In 1866 he spent 3 months in prison for stealing. In 1872 he got 12 months for larceny. At some point, he married Sarah. He died in 1880.

4. Yet another James Shuttleworth was a convict sent to Van Diemans Land. He arrived in 1829 on the Surry. He married Ann Tozer in 1841 and had a son James in 1843. He worked as a miller.

5. In 1852 James Shuttleworth arrived in Victoria as an immigrant on the Margaret Brock. He described himself as a gold seeker. James died in 1872 in Ballarat.

6. Nathan Shuttle was born in 1804 in Bedford Wiltshire. Father was Nathan and Mother Jane Bird. In 1824 he arrived on the Norfolk after a 7-year sentence was passed down. He was described as a 21-year-old ploughman.  During this time he used Nathan and Nathaniel for a first name, and Shuttle or Shuttleworth for a surname.

Nathan was assigned to a Mr Hutchins. In 1928 he was in service to Mr Grant in Bathurst. In 1832 he received his certificate of freedom.

In 1836 he sought permission to marry Mary Ann Cooper. It is unclear if this ever took place, and on probability, it didn't happen.

1843 he spent two days in prison in Sydney for drunkenness. In 1849 he spent a month for assault.

It seems likely that he took on the name of James N Shuttleworth around this time. There were previous instances of the Shuttleworth name in 1824 when he was transported, and 1843 when he was arrested for drunkenness.

One theory may be that James Naimby Shuttleworth was a well-known solicitor at this time. His name was constantly in the paper. Perhaps Nathan was trying to trade on the fame of another Shuttleworth.

In 1851 he married Mary Ann Lewis and lived in the Hawkesbury region. Prior to the marriage, Mary Ann had a son Henry Shuttleworth Lewis. The birth record was for Henry S Shuttleworth but there was a reference to him being called Henry Shuttleworth Lewis as well. They had a number of children after that. Mary Ann 1851, Eliza 1854, Sarah 1856, Moses 1859, Fanny 1864. There may have been other children which we have not been able to confirm. Emma in 1861 and Charles James in 1863.

In 1851 he was still using the name Shuttleworth for the children, but Eliza born in 1854, and subsequent children were Shuttle.

A James Shattle died in 1865 in Windsor and this was probably this person. Once again, a different spelling.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 21 June 21 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

May I urgently suggest you remove page 2 of the PDF you attached.  It clearly identifies a living person. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline NevilleTB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 21 June 21 13:59 BST (UK) »
Done. Not sure why it was a problem to identify myself but it is removed.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Monday 21 June 21 23:53 BST (UK) »
What is the information on the birth certificate of Moses born 1859 which you mention having.

All details please ;D

Offline NevilleTB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 00:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry. Amended it last night and the upload didn't work. Added the birth certificate today. Also updated a few details this morning.

Incidentally, the certificates are still $35. No special offers at the moment.