Author Topic: James Nathaniel Shuttleworth - Date of Death  (Read 4625 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: James Nathaniel Shuttleworth - Date of Death
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 05:29 BST (UK) »
Sarah is an interesting character. I have not done a full investigation on either Sarah or Lewis (who later changed to John Ferdinand Lewis) but that branch will be an interesting voyage.
I noticed he was given a conditional pardon. Were there standard conditions for such a pardon?

Yes there were standard conditions for a conditional pardon.  https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/convicts-guide
Pardons
Convicts with a life sentence could receive a pardon but not a Certificate of Freedom. The two main types of pardons were:

Conditional pardon - the convict was free as long as they remained in the colony. The vast majority of convicts granted pardons were granted a conditional pardon
Absolute pardon - the convict's sentence was entirely remitted. That is, they were free both within and outside of the colony and could return to Britain.
The main records for conditional pardons are in the Colonial Secretary's records:

The NSW State Archives has several interesting webinars on their holdings. 
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/webinars

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=836103.0
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=847446.0

Convict Indexes
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/convicts/indexes

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline NevilleTB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 08:29 BST (UK) »
"Ancestry has this indexed in Registers of Convicts' Applications to Marry as granted, but the document does not have 'Allowed' or 'Do' next to their entry. For Shuttle it has 'stated single' and for Cooper it has 'Cooper stated on arrival that she was married and had three children'.

Nathaniel Shuttle is on the Index to Marriage Refusals, 1831-1837; Volume: 4/1117"

Just pulling all the details together. I have been searching for the index but no luck. MatthewJ64 mentioned it about page 7 of this post. Can anyone point me to it?

Thanks

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 10:05 BST (UK) »
"Ancestry has this indexed in Registers of Convicts' Applications to Marry as granted, but the document does not have 'Allowed' or 'Do' next to their entry. For Shuttle it has 'stated single' and for Cooper it has 'Cooper stated on arrival that she was married and had three children'.

This part is in New South Wales, Australia, Registers of Convicts' Applications to Marry, 1826-1851 on Ancestry

"Nathaniel Shuttle is on the Index to Marriage Refusals, 1831-1837; Volume: 4/1117"

This one is a bit hidden on Ancestry as it is under New South Wales, Australia, Convict Records, 1810-1891 and make sure you search for Nathaniel

:)

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 11:39 BST (UK) »

"Nathaniel Shuttle is on the Index to Marriage Refusals, 1831-1837; Volume: 4/1117"

This one is a bit hidden on Ancestry as it is under New South Wales, Australia, Convict Records, 1810-1891 and make sure you search for Nathaniel

:)

Mary Anne Cooper is also in the Index to Marriage Refusals, and both entries have 86 next to their names.

When in the Registers of Convicts' Applications to Marry on Ancestry, up near the top it will have Granted > 1836. If you click on Granted, you can switch to Refused, choose 1836, and you can view the Register of Refusals. The Shuttle/Cooper entry is on image 8, which is page 86 as per the index.

It is odd that Ancestry doesn't seem to have indexed these registers in full view

M

Offline NevilleTB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Thursday 24 June 21 00:44 BST (UK) »
That explains why I could not find it. I am not subscribed to Ancestry. I have been using MyHeritage.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Thursday 24 June 21 05:33 BST (UK) »
The NSW State Archives is located at Kingswood, a suburb of Penrith n the western region of Greater Sydney.  They have excellent facilities there, and the staff are very helpful.  Off street parking is available.  Several commercial family history websites currently have partnership arrangements making the digitised images of a small fraction of the archival material at Kingswood available via the subscription sites.  The Kingswood facility does not charge any admission fee and there are no fees for accessing their holdings.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline NevilleTB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Thursday 24 June 21 06:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip. I have been collecting links to useful indexes from Family Search to Convict marriages. Is there a good place to find all the free resources?

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline NevilleTB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Thursday 24 June 21 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Neal. This shows the request but not the rejection. If you look back a few posts you can find the rejection location in a post from MathewWJ64. It is on an Ancestory database.

Incidentally, I am trying to pull all this together, and you mentioned a few spells in gaol. Can you let me know the link to where you found this information?