Author Topic: Leonora wife of the Reverend John Morgan. died 1764  (Read 1411 times)

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Leonora wife of the Reverend John Morgan. died 1764
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 20:53 BST (UK) »
Does this link help?

https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Coplestone-Descendants-4

with a link to John Itchingham Chichester born 1667
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 21:06 BST (UK) »
I think John Echingham  Chichester died in 1719.  He is certainly dead by 1 May or March 1722.

And I think Dorothea Dorinda is dead by then too.

(Crossle Genealogies on FindMyPast.  Am having great trouble reading the handwriting and code!)

Added, I meant to say, and your link also agrees Willsy thank you, that I think John Echingham is the brother in law of the dowager countess.

Perhaps he was one of the executors of the estate of Arthur.  I am going to have to order those Bills. (Or get a quote at least) although it is taking me wildly off the aim of trying to figure out who John Morgan of the Inner Temple is!

Iíll get them I expect, if only to help bring poor Jane Barton back into the history books.
Side tracked to a friendís very interesting Norfolk families. MORGAN, PRATT, HORNOR, SUCKLING, GLEANE etc. And in London DOWNES, du CROZ, MORGAN (same MORGANs as the Norwich lot)

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 21:15 BST (UK) »
Mention of John and Dorinda here with dates

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qri/

1 May 1722 Dorinda had died in the article, she was from Belfast and died intestate.

Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 21:25 BST (UK) »
Mention of John and Dorinda here with dates

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qri/

1 May 1722 Dorinda had died in the article, she was from Belfast and died intestate.

Thank you for that. That is mostly a transcript of the thing I was trying to read!   
Side tracked to a friendís very interesting Norfolk families. MORGAN, PRATT, HORNOR, SUCKLING, GLEANE etc. And in London DOWNES, du CROZ, MORGAN (same MORGANs as the Norwich lot)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 July 21 12:33 BST (UK) »
Just to clear my head --

John Itchingham / Echingham Chichester born ~ 1667.  Died before 1721
An officer in the Army, he retired on half-pay 1714 (F M P) became MP for Belfast
Parents: Arthur Chichester, 2nd Earl of Donegall (~1630 Ė 1678) & Jane Itchingham. 
Sibling: Arthur Chichester, 3rd Earl of Donegall (1666 Ė 1706) his wife was Katherine Forbes (died 1743)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 October 21 03:17 BST (UK) »
For others who may be searching in the future.

As I interpret the Bill in Chancery.

Arthur the Earl of Donegall left in his will (30 July 1705) £300 to his brother John Echingham Chichester, not for his own use, but for such other uses as otherwise directed. Then the Earl wrote a separate letter to John telling him the £300 was for Leonora.
However, when Jane, Leonoraís mother, tried to get it John said yes, thats correct but I havenít received the money from the estate yet.

I have the impression she was palmed off by them saying there were other debts legacies and annuities that took precedence.
But by 1739, John Morgan thinks

ďthere hath been now raised out of the Said Trust estates more than sufficient to pay all the Debts & Legacies of the said Testator the said Earl of Donegall & particularly the said legacy of Three hundred pounds so given & devised for the benefit of your Oratrix with Interest for the same from the time the same ought to have been paid or that at least the said Trust Estate is now amply sufficient to pay all the burthens & charges thereon and in particular the said legacy of three hundred pounds & Interest.

Then they say that Katherine the dowager left his estate in England un-administered, (only proving his will in Ireland as that was where the bulk of his estate was, while the bulk of his debts were in England).  so Administration of the English estate was granted to Thomas Hall a Creditor by Judgement. But Thomas Hall also died leaving it un-administered and now William Morgan has procured administration, and claims to be the Legal representative of the Estate and Effects in England un-administered.

Also
John Echingham Chichester died. His executrix Dorothy Dorinda Smith also died without proving his estate and William Morgan has procured administration of that too!

However it seems that John MORGAN & Leonora are grouping William MORGAN with the Countess and Earl (the son)  and so perhaps he is no relation to them at all.

There are long answers from the Countess & the Earl I am wading through, they quite plainly donít plan to pay, but frustratingly there isnít one from William Morgan!
Considering that TNA have also ďmislaidĒ the Will of William Morgan of Southwark  this is doubly frustrating!

The Earl and Dowager Countess call it the Ďpretended legacy of £300í. 
They think that Dorothy Dorinda Smith did prove the will of John Echingham Chichester and that they 'cannot frame any belief' that William Morgan has procured administration

(In the answer of the Dowager there is a break down of the Estate finances (as she had to justify the period between the death of the Earl and the coming of age of her son as he took her to Chancery! So that is interesting as a separate matter. Her jointure is £1200 per year)

Satisfying and educational to read, but it doesn't get me any further ahead with the Morgans.  :(