Author Topic: which Geoffrey Cobb?  (Read 424 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
which Geoffrey Cobb?
« on: Tuesday 15 June 21 13:30 BST (UK) »
At FreeBMD I found the marriage in central Northumberland in the 1st quarter of 1944 between Geoffrey B. Cobb and Elsie Mills.

I'm fairly sure she was the daughter of William Mills, coal miner, born in Ashington on 14 Mar. 1913 (birth registered in Morpeth) and died at 3 Park Road East, Ashington, on 26 Dec. 1992 (will proved in Newcastle on 7 Apr. 1993).

But was the bridegroom (Geoffrey) Basil Cobb, a Captain in the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers, only son of the late Geoffrey Clemens Cobb, barrister, or is that a case of mistaken identity?  Was there perhaps a newspaper announcement, or can some kind soul find a reliable source such as an entry in a parish register at Ancestry or Findmypast (for example)?

If my conjecture is right, then they must have been divorced after only a few years, as Basil married someone else in 1949.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: which Geoffrey Cobb?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 13:48 BST (UK) »
Shields Daily News 2 Feb 1949 :

Decree Nisi Granted

Judge T Richardson , sitting as special divorce commissioner in Newcastle yesterday granted a decree nisi to Elsie Cobb of Park Road East Ashington ( husband's desertion ) , custody of child ,costs.

This doesn't confirm the identity of her husband , of course.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 14:01 BST (UK) »
There are several trees on Ancestry that show he was in the Northumberland Fusiliers when he married Elsie Mills and the trees also show that he married a jane Robinson in 1949. It may be that you will have to purchase the marriage certificate of the second marriage to confirm the status of Geoffrey. (I have also searched for the births of other Geoffrey B Cobb but the only other one would have been too old to serve in WW2)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 14:08 BST (UK) »
Geoffrey Basil Cobb died in 1995

Not seeing any  marriage announcement in the newspapers. 1944 is way too recent for a parish marriage  to be available online. 
Without knowing which church and date an enquiry with the archives would be classified as a research request , rather than a copy request - which carries a greater cost than a GRO cert.
Plus, they may not have married in a church but had a civil ceremony at a Register Office, in which case your only option would be a GRO cert.

Boo

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 15:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you all.

I don't really trust trees submitted to Ancestry, but the weight of evidence does seem to point to our having the right G.B.C.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 14:05 BST (UK) »
Not much help but there is a 1966 Marriage on FreeREG for his Son
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Trish.  I'd found that, and there's a good chance they're still alive, but I haven't been able to track them down.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 14:31 BST (UK) »
Yes I thought it likely they may still be alive so thats why I didnt post much detail :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)