Author Topic: Who was Cissie's mysterious husband?  (Read 3524 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who was Cissie's mysterious husband?
« on: Tuesday 15 June 21 14:14 BST (UK) »
Cissie Chesher was born on 12 March 1894. In 1930 she married Alfred Leonard Stubbs. Alfred died in 1933. On the 1939 register she is shown as Cissie Stubbs widow. However the surname has been crossed through and Jackson written by it with a date in the margin in 1946.
All seems straightforward - Poor Cissie who only had three years of wedded bliss goes on to marry a Mr Jackson in 1946, probably sometime before the date recorded on 1939 register because I believe that is the date the record is amended not the date of the event.

Next step: look for a marriage of Cissie Stubbs in 1946. The record says her spouse's surname is Ponting or Jackson - so it looks like she has married a man who is known by two surnames. Then I looked up marriages with the same reference number to a lady with surname Stubbs for both Mr Ponting and Mr Jackson.
I was expecting to find the two records with the same forenames, or possibly the forenames reversed. But the two names are Walter C Ponting and George E Jackson. No similarity in the forenames at all. The registration district is Essex SW, Q1 1946, reference 4a 557.
Cissie's death seems to have been registered as Jackson (1976).
Can anyone find anything more about George E Jackson and did he start life as Walter C Ponting. As Cissie is only a distant relative I don't want to purchase the marriage cert unless necessary. I think they may have married in a Register Office, so my SEAX sub is no use here.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Cissie's mysterious husband?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 14:18 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD has a comment against Cissie's marriage in 1946:
#COMMENT Spouse name reads as Jackson or Ponting

Entries for that reference are:
Jackson    George E    Stubbs    Essex S.W.    4a   557     Scan available - click to view
Ponting    Walter C    Stubbs    Essex S.W.    4a   557     Scan available - click to view
Stubbs    Cissie    Jackson    Essex S.W.    4a   557     Scan available - click to view Additional information available - click to view (Icon is a red question mark)
Stubbs    Cissie    Ponting    Essex S.W.    4a   557     Scan available - click to view Additional information available - click to view (Icon is a red question mark)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 14:48 BST (UK) »
thank you. The scan of the GRO  index was where I got my original information on the two surnames from. But I have not benn successful in tracing George Jackson before his marriage or Walter Ponting at all. Possible death in Essex SW for George Edward Jackson in 1954, born about 1899, but it's quite a common name. There are 11 George Edward Jacksons born in 1899  +/- 1, and no Walter C Pontings
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 14:57 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at Walter Charles Ponting birth reg Dec qtr 1902 Islington, with a possible first marriage - to Alice M A Morris - Dec qtr 1926 Islington? Alice seems to have died in Shoreditch in 1945.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 15:05 BST (UK) »
I was just checking him out, but found an older Walter Ponting in 1939 with a wife Alice, so got a bit confused. But he may be the Walter b 22 Nov 1902 in what might be lodgings in Tottenham in 1939He is a lorry driver (traveller) says he's married but no wife with him.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 15:08 BST (UK) »
Walter 1902's parents look like Elizabeth Louisa Ormandy and Walter Reginald Ponting married 1901 Q4  Islington

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 15:12 BST (UK) »
Is this her -

Administration with Will for Cissie Jackson of 7 Mountway, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire who died 11th July 1976 showing on probate index. 

Her death was Surrey Northern
https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/surrey%20northern.html
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 15:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you the death reg in Surrey is her because dob is correct. Death date on probate is consistent with a death registered 3rd quarter so must be her. I wonder why death place and residence so far apart. I can't find any evidence of her having children with either husband. She had three siblings, maybe with or near one of them. She was living with her older brother (Frederick Chesher) and his wife in Islington in the mid 1930s after Alfred Stubbs died, but I haven't traced her siblings further.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 15:39 BST (UK) »
I suspect that the marriage certificate will say something like:
Walter C Ponting, otherwise known as George E Jackson.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)