Author Topic: Smith-Cox Marriage Canterbury 1875  (Read 516 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Smith-Cox Marriage Canterbury 1875
« on: Tuesday 15 June 21 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find out if a marriage that took place in Canterbury in 1875 is available to view online. The marriage was between Emily Jane Smith and Edward Cox and took place in the September Quarter of 1875 at Canterbury. Unfortunately I don't know which church it took place at.

Does anyone know if the registers for any Canterbury churches are available to view online for this period? I am looking to view the original image rather than a transcript.

Many Thanks

Matt

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Smith-Cox Marriage Canterbury 1875
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 20:53 BST (UK) »
Marriage locator cannot find it.

https://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/cgi-bin/ML_search.cgi?year=1885&qtr=3&vol=2a&page=1104&search=search

It is my understanding (which could be wrong) that if that is the case, the marriage took place in a registry office.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 22:43 BST (UK) »
Marriage locator cannot find it.

https://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/cgi-bin/ML_search.cgi?year=1885&qtr=3&vol=2a&page=1104&search=search

It is my understanding (which could be wrong) that if that is the case, the marriage took place in a registry office.

Thanks for that. I did wonder if it was in a registry office. I guess I will get the certificate to find out.

Thanks again
Matt

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 22:47 BST (UK) »
   I have looked on Findmypast, which has Kent church records on line, and cannot find this marriage there either.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 02:12 BST (UK) »
   I have looked on Findmypast, which has Kent church records on line, and cannot find this marriage there either.

Hi

That's where I checked first myself yesterday before posting the message here lol! I have also checked Familysearch but with no luck.

Not to worry though. I'll order the certificate as that will have all the details I want. Emily and Edward are not direct ancestors though. I recently obtained the death certificate of Emily's mother Mildred Smith and Emily was named as informant. The odd thing is that the death took place in Ramsgate, and indeed Mildred is living with Emily and Edward on the 1881 census in Ramsgate. The certificate will help me be certain that these are my Mildred and Emily. I am 95% certain the are the correct people but it's nice to have that last bit of evidence.

Thanks for checking it out anyhow.

Best Wishes
Matthew