Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 15th June  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Tuesday 15th June
« on: Tuesday 15 June 21 23:15 BST (UK) »
A warm day, quite a lot of cloud. Yesterday I saw that NN had a workman round, he was looking at the adjoining fence alongside her house, the bit where she vandalised my plants last year and caused me so much heartache. I was hoping that if she was having some work done there wouldn't be any damage to my plants or any more nastiness. Well today a workman was there fixing extra boards to her side of the fence. There was very little noise and he didn't seem to have touched my plants at all, I was very relieved. I'm quite happy with it and even happier that she is the one who paid for unnecessary work because of her own stupidity.

Went for a walk, I'd arranged to meet J later for a longer walk. Did a few jobs in the house and spent the afternoon in the garden, repotted a number of plants and actually managed to clear a space on my potting bench to do so. Hadn't arranged an exact time with J, she texted to say she could meet at four so I left everything in the garden, got changed and went to meet her. We walked down to the coast road, it was lovely and warm, took a longer route back through the village. I asked if she fancied a drink, I'd taken my card and a mask. We sat at a small table outside a restaurant in the square, they had cocktails on the menu there too so that's what we ordered. They took ages to arrive but were worth the wait, I had a strawberry daiquiri and I could taste the alcohol at the first sip. J enjoyed hers too, it was lovely sitting there in the sunshine. Felt quite squiffy by the time we left, I'm such a cheap date these days.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 15th June
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 00:15 BST (UK) »
Well got a very reasonable quote for pointing ,Scaffolder came to eye up the job ,will need to go over to my lovely neighbour ‘s side as her built on shed
 is in the way for the end poles ,but I did speak to her daughter about it and it is OK.
Glorious day , watered all pots -mine and neighbour’s -early morning .
looking round the garden , a Fuchsia which I chopped right down has some new very strong shoots about a foot high ,yippee, it is a nice one but got too leggy.Thought I had pruned too drastically.

Had some Jersey Royals today, but they really are not like they used to be since using seaweed was stopped!

Captain Sir Tom rose has lots of buds, I stroke the greenfly off as since I watched the little sparrow feasting on them I won’t spray.

Nice neighbour gave me back my dish in which I had taken round some pineapple upside down pud and cream.
She had filled it with chocolates .
We do get on,always laughing.
She makes me feel young and I am only ten years younger than her.!

Well still no lifting of many restrictions but I am glad of it ,there is such a surge of the Delta strain in this area.
I will need to go to the bank for some cash when builder finishes .
Starting next week.,
Hope weather holds up.
Good,night
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 07:55 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, cocktails in the afternoon!! How decadent!
Well done, sounds like you had a really pleasing afternoon.
We are going to have to find ways to enjoy more of our life out of doors, and you have made a good start!

Hope the weather holds up for your pointing work Viktoria, though hereabouts we expect it to break today. Right now the glorious sun has disappeared in thick sea mist.

Our visit to the zoo yesterday was very pleasant and we stayed all day.  The car park showed a very good attendance at opening time, so we by passed the big cats and apes to avoid the people and then, from the far side, worked back slowly. The crowd thins out around lunch time, so afternoons are very quiet and we were among the last to leave.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 10:40 BST (UK) »

I had a strawberry daiquiri and I could taste the alcohol at the first sip. J enjoyed hers too, it was lovely sitting there in the sunshine. Felt quite squiffy by the time we left, ...

Hello All

Yes RTL a week behind. I was 2 weeks overdue at birth  ;D , so behind at the starting post  ;D  ;D

"daiquiri" so that is how it is spelt  :)

I believe I've had a homemade Mango daiquiri in NZ, yes very nice and feeling relaxed is not a bad thing occasionally, if the car is left at home.

My Step-daughter and fella have moved to a plot and buildings on a hill and making a new home there, after renovating their original home and having a company to build their next home. I call it the Ranch.

They have worked very hard. Her chap is also into self sufficiency, very shrewd and careful. They generate their own power by Solar and in Winter have a generator. Toilets flushed by rainwater storage and they have their own Local Authority approved and installed sewage and foul water treatment now.

So low Bills. Tax, insurance, internet from a Satellite and drinking water purchase, plus food and drinks. When he finishes building, he'll be surfing at the beach down the hill a bit more and growing his own veg etc., and doing a bit of work.

We have recently been sent a bit of film, with the Sirens going and the school down the hill (but above the beach) being evacuated, getting everyone and pupils to higher ground. An earthquake had occurred some distance away under the sea. They seem a lot more safety conscious than us in the UK, I don't think our UK siren system works anymore, I never hear it tested at any rate.

The wave that came in was not that much, but safety first!  ;D Plus a bit of excitement for the children and a few hours away from lessons.

Firefighters still responded by siren even at night. Where we stayed on an incline, the longer Fire engine had low crawler gears to get up the hill, as it was heavy with tons water in its tanks. The other had sailed by in front, a bit like ours here.

I can't see myself going again, I had a job with Health Insurance cover last time about 5 years ago, to cover a rare brain condition and now still recovering from an inflammatory response and organ problems after a severe bronchal flu illness in January 2020.

The NHS have been quite good (albeit awful to get through to GP Surgery on phone and then once answered up to 39 mins wait in a queuing system for blood test results from my Surgery). My GP has got me in twice for urgent scans either before 8am and one on Sunday (which was brought forward by telephoning me), in the last 12 months. Whilst improving, my rash and swellings were reignited by insect bites in the garden late Summer. My GP has tried a number of meds to calm my inflammatory response without success to start with.

About 10 days of this latest medication, I've got my daily bowel function back and can hear my stomach / digestion working properly again like it did previously to January 2020. My kidneys have been showing reduced function, so I'm hoping they will improve or not get worse.

GPs seem to be either taking their time deciding, or getting advice, when issuing prescriptions.

I pray that I'll get through the last of my recently new problems.

My infant Grandson has a bad cold and deep cough, my Daughter has been to the Doctors and he has had Covid testing too and negative, so bad chesty colds etc., are showing up. I held him on my knee with my mask on and he is just beginning to smile again now.

Take care, Mark

Added: Roobarb you ignore the "decadent" bit in the other post. MH probably fancied one too really  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 23:33 BST (UK) »
I don't mind being decadent after more than a year of being boring.  ;D I always leave the car at home if I'm having a drink.

Pleased to hear you had a good time at the zoo MH, great to be able to hit a quiet time.

Your step daughter's home sounds interesting Mark, not the sort of thing I'd like but great if you're into The Good Life way of living. Hope your little grandson is soon well again, poor little chap.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 June 21 01:10 BST (UK) »
Oh,Deary  me!
All set to get the work done next week ,BUT ,though I think he will do a good job the builder/ pointer has little or no understanding of the bricks my house is built from and which require special sand and hydrated lime mortar,no cement in the mix .Hard to find a builder to use that nowadays.
He thought a special mastic would be alright but has ordered the wrong stuff .
It is only suitable for pointing round doors and windows
There is another sort so I will contact the manufacturers tomorrow..
The bricks are Accrington bricks NORI , or Engineering bricks .
Very hard and a smooth surface,almost glazed.
They fight with cement!
He got a tub of mastic and said it did 56 square metres !
Reckoned the area was 30’metres square allowing for windows,doors built on utility and shed so lots left over.
I pointed out that would be linear metres because there was no squared
sign !- the 2 above the m.
I worked out with him the length of pointing in one square metre and it was almost22 linear metres, he was adamant it was square metres on the tub.
The whole job will be in the region of 700 linear metres.
The tub was the size of a child’s seaside bucket and spade job.
 By now I was questioning my sanity let alone his!
So I will insist he uses what I stipulate ,if not the deal is off.
Trouble is scaffolding is coming Monday or Tuesday.
There weren’t any weeds but I cleared  the  front garden border of aquilegia
today, thugs they are ,lovely thugs but still thugs .
Need something else now  to fill spaces.
Shrubs I think I like fuchsias.Really only full sun in the morning , it is N- S orientated , so sun from the East on the border in the forenoon but then just a tiny bit from the West after tea,on the path.
The firethorn has gone mad, I must tame it ,creeping over the fence to the pavement,and oh what thorns!
Well must get off to bed ,hope you are all O.K and thanks for the news  .
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 June 21 07:20 BST (UK) »
 :o
Don't even let him begin Viktoria, or you could end up with a horrible mess no-one wants to put right!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 June 21 08:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, he has just called to say he spoke with Wickes,they say it is square metres which is strange because when I phoned yesterday they said without the little 2 above the m for metres it is linear which is what I thought and most people who have done maths would know.

Bostik/ Evostik manufacturers not open yet ,I will ring ASAP after nine .
o’clock.

A dullish mild morning .
Cleaned the bathroom then a nice bath, no plans really .
Will phone son ,and get a lecture-free! - but how he knows what he knows I
don’t know, I mean I don’t know how he knows stuff nothing to do with his work etc etc ,I don’t ask that question!- there are only so many days in the year!!
Aaaw ,he could tell you how a steam engine worked at three ,Grandma bought him a Tank Engine Thomas book ,I thought that is much too old ,but no.
He speaks then pauses so I start to say something and he continues, and he can stop me talking for five minutes!
That is no mean feat in itself!

Nice problem re choosing what to  put the spaces left by the aquilegias.
Will get to the garden centre ,just a one bus ride away, a top dressing will do some good so they will deliver plants and soil.
This is the farm shop/ restaurant where the sisters out cooked Gordon Ramsey and at the end one said to him” See what you can do without swearing!”
Well cheerio for now .
Viktoria.
Not eaten yet ,just a milky coffee.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 June 21 09:11 BST (UK) »
For squared, it DEFINITLEY needs the little raised 2 above m Viktoria.

My worry is that if the builder begins, even if does make a mess, and leave the job half done, he will still bill you!  :P

ROOBARB, and I don't mind you being decadent after more than a year of being at home! ;D
[I never even considered the driving, though of course you do always leave the car at home if having a drink.]  But my personality feels that, same as blood red nail varnish, cocktails in the afternoon, is something to which I could never aspire.  :D