Author Topic: Agnes who married Richard Chatfield 1570 to 1586  (Read 592 times)

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnes who married Richard Chatfield 1570 to 1586
« on: Tuesday 15 June 21 23:55 BST (UK) »
Kia ora

I am looking for his second marriage, she is in his will.  I am not sure I have her death correct.  Any help appreciated.  Nga mihi Bronwen, Aotearoa

Richard Chatfield 1489 married a widow Elizabeth Brond (Elizabeth married John Peckham in 1524 they had two children: Henry Peckham, *Ann Peckham, Elizabeth became a widow).  Richard and Elizabeth had nine? children: Wiyllym Chatfield 1528c, John Chatfield 1534, Nicholas Chatfield 1530 Ditchling (held the ancestral estate in Mid-Sussex), Francis Chatfield 8 February 1532 Oving-4 May 1594 Rumboldswyke (married *Anne Peckham, daughter of John Peckham and Elizabeth Broud in 1560), Joan Chatfield 1534 Chichester, Thomas Chatfield 1536 Chichester (married Ann Underhill), George Chatfield 1537-5 February 1599, Elizabeth Chatfield 1538 (married Edward Munk), Johanna Chatfield 1541 (married Thomas Esli/Est).  Richard Chatfield married Agnes/Anne ?  in    after the death of his first wife. 
Elizabeth Chatfield (Brond) died April 1570
Richard Chatfield died 26 July 1586 in Chichester
Agnes/Anne Chatfield died 2 April 1609 St Peter, Cowfold, Sussex   
Campbell, McKenzie, Ross, MacKay, Munro, Sutherland all of Ross & Comarty
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs
Erskine, Fletcher of Edinburgh

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes who married Richard Chatfield 1570 to 1586
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 June 21 21:51 BST (UK) »
Bronwen,

I think you may need to consider that there might be some conflation of two generations here.  If I read your post correctly, Richard was born circa 1489 and died in 1586.  That is a tremendous and rare age for the time - 97.

Comber's Sussex Genealogies (Lewes) indicates that there is a considerable amount of confusion and contradiction in the pedigrees and visitations.  He even says that one Richard is named Francis in the Visitation - and this is the same person apparently married to Agnes/Ann.  The pedigree says that Agnes/Ann was the daughter of John Pickham/Peckham.  You have the same information,
Francis Chatfield 8 February 1532 Oving-4 May 1594 Rumboldswyke (married *Anne Peckham, daughter of John Peckham and Elizabeth Broud in 1560)

but that would make Anne the half-sister of Francis and this was within the forbidden degrees of relatinships for marriage.  And quite how Francis could be Richard or

Not quite sure how to crack the problem, but if it can be solved, it might well involve a number of wills, property records, IPMs etc not all of which may be available online.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes who married Richard Chatfield 1570 to 1586
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 June 21 22:59 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Nell.  I do have Richard's will in which he only mentions two of the children that I have listed so perhaps the others are not his at all (see below)  I have a document to suggest he did have a very long life, but that could also be the wrong Richard (see below). I had seriously wondered whether it was possible for someone to marry their half sister so I shall have to sort that. 

There is a chap in France who has every Chatfield coming out of Sussex on an incredible website, I have never seen anything quite like this.  I have waded through that and now have sent what I have to him and asked if he would look at what I have.  Hopefully this may solve some of my problems. The range of names is so limited and it is not surprising that the different families are all jumbled up, I know that was pretty common back in the day.
https://colin-chatfield.webs.com/genealogy

Nga mihi (best wishes)
Bronwen
Aotearoa

The will of RICHARD CHAFYLLD of the City of Chichester, gent., 24 October 1582.  My Body to be buried in the Cathedral Church of Chichester, against the library in the east end of the said church, decently and honestly.  My will is that Francis my son, for and in consideration of my former goods and "cattell," shall see my body honestly buryed at his cost and charges according to his promise.  I give 10s. to a preacher to preach at my burial. To Joane Est, my daughter, 20s.  To Anne Kynswell 10s.  The residue of all my goods and "cattell," my debts paid and legacies performed, I give to Agens my wife, whom I make my executrix. I desire Mr. Henry Blaxton and Mr. Daniell Gardener, residentiaries of the Cathedral Church of Chicester, to be overseers and to be a comfort and stay to my wife, and I give to them 10s. apiece. Witnesses: Henry Blaxton, Daniell Gardener, Richard, Juxon, and Thomas Macyn. [Signed] Rychard Chatfylld.

Richard Chatfield, the testator of 1582, of Bedyles in the parish of Ditchling, of Oving, Treyford, Sidlesham, and Chichester, Sussex, and of the *Isle of Hayling, co. Hanats, born about 1500, died in July 1586. When he was a young man he removed thirty miles westward form his ancestral region of Mid-Sussex and settled in Chichester. In this city he probably secured in trade the means which enabled him to adcquire numerous pieces of property (some of which formerly belonged to monasteriess dissolved by Henry VIII), and to raise his branch of the family into the armigerous (coat of arms) gentry, whith its pedigree and arms entered in the Herald’s Visitations, while the branches in Mid-Sussex remained among the yeomanry.  In the subsidy of 1523 he was assessed for lands in the Hundred of Street and for goods in chichester.  (Although assessed in both places, he had to pay but one tax.) Between 1544 and 1572 he was assessed in the Rape of Chichester in various subsidies, and acquired property at Chichester, Oving, West Ashling, Sidlesham, Treyford, Westmeston, Middleton, Twineham, and Bolney.  When he made his will in 1582 he was living at Chichester, and he was buried in the Cathedral there 26 July 1586.  His will is a brief and unsatisfactory document, as it names only two of his children, although it is certain that he had at least six and probably even more. It is evident that he had given portions to his children during his lifetime.  No monument to him remains, as the iconoclastic partisans of Cromwell wrecked that part of the Cathedral in which he was buried.”
Campbell, McKenzie, Ross, MacKay, Munro, Sutherland all of Ross & Comarty
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs
Erskine, Fletcher of Edinburgh