Author Topic: Looking for sources for John Phillips b. 1660  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Rivermaster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for sources for John Phillips b. 1660
« on: Wednesday 16 June 21 15:26 BST (UK) »
I am looking for sources to find more about John Phillips b. 1660 most likely in Haverfordwest Pembroke, who married Elinor/Eleanor Haward. They had two sons Griffith and Samuel that emmigrated to America in 1709. 

Some say John may be related to the Phillips of Picton but I am having trouble locating source information.  Any help greatly appreciated as I have hit a wall at this point.

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for sources for John Phillips b. 1660
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 June 21 20:17 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 June 21 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

During current restrictions The National Archives are offering free downloads of their digitised documents.  You just need to register.  There are a great many Phillips Wills but these two, although a little early, may help you to include or disregard the Picton connection.

William Phillips of Picton Probate 1573
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D960026

Erasmus Phillips, Picton Castle, Probate 1697
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D719913

There is also this resource for Welsh Wills online:
https://www.library.wales/discover/library-resources/wills

Offline Rivermaster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 June 21 14:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the links.  The wills can be difficult to read, especially the one by John Phillips as I think it is in Welsh.  Are there people who can translate these documents?

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 June 21 15:44 BST (UK) »
Which particular Will is it you're looking at, one from the National Archives or one from the National Library of Wales?

Offline Rivermaster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 June 21 19:12 BST (UK) »
The one from William, I could read Erasmus but not Williams.  Perhaps old english or script handwriting, difficult nonetheless. 

Offline Rivermaster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 June 21 20:36 BST (UK) »
I also found this site but it looks like microfilm only.  Am I correct that items on this site are not digitized for remote viewing?  Not as user friendly as other libraries.

https://archives.library.wales/index.php/pedigree-of-philipps-of-picton-castle

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 June 21 19:39 BST (UK) »
The reference you found refers to a microfilm although from another NLW reference they also hold the actual document but it only shows the descendants of John Phillips, died ~1629 down to Richard Phillips 2nd bart, died ~1648.  Both can be accessed by visiting the library or commissioning photocopies, quite expensive, I believe. 

I notice from online trees that the brothers reverted to the patronymic naming system once in Pennsylvania, coming up as Griffith and Samuel ap John.  One online tree has their mother, Eleanor dying in Pennsylvania.  Is that verified?  There are so many Phillips in Pembrokeshire and so few records going back that far – I think you have a battle on your hands.  :(

The William Phillips Will is written in Old English – I also find it difficult.  What I can glean is that seemingly William left no legitimate male heirs, hence the bulk of the estate passed to his brother Morgan after the death of their mother.

I can’t read one of the names (attached) – says he is a son.  Perhaps someone passing by will have a better idea?

WILLIAM PHILLIPS – Probate granted 1573
Elizabeth Phillips – mother
MORGAN PHILLIPS – his brother, inheritance then passed to Morgan’s male heirs lawfully begotten
Marie Phillips – daughter
Elizabeth Phillips – daughter
??  – son – 100 pounds
Harry  – brother
George Bowen  – says son?
John and Jane – base (illegitimate) children
Niece – Elizabeth (looks like Moiriott?)
Other names: Lewis ??; Jenkin Davies; John Johns, my man; Lewis ?? my man; Owen, my Butler.  John Wyn owes him 40 pounds

MORGAN PHILLIPS (died bef. 1585) – his son and heir was John Phillips who married Ann Perrott, daughter of Sir John Perrott [National Library of Wales, marriage bond dated 11 November 1585]

Offline Rivermaster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 June 21 22:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the response.  Regarding Elinor, I did see one reference on WikiTree that Elinor died in Pennsylvania but I cannot verify that anywhere.  In fact I cannot find her name in any source document like the English Baronetage, Peerage or Annals and Antiquity. 

Thank you for the comments about the wills.  It's very interesting how these are worded.  I have been searching the National Library of Wales, but that is a very deep site not the easiest to navigate.  But I will persist. 

Have a good day and thanks again.