Author Topic: John Thomson b 1868 Barnhill Poorhouse Springburn Glasgow  (Read 3190 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: John Thomson b 1868 Barnhill Poorhouse Springburn Glasgow
« Reply #99 on: Friday 18 June 21 18:22 BST (UK) »
Just to add...

John was not alone in jumbling up his parental details on his marriage regs. Half sister Susannah was the same  ::)

Susan Duff married a James Holt in 1883. Father's details correct, a George Duff...but mother Elizabeth Wilson.

However, details for her death reg from 1903, where daughter Margaret was the informant, father the George D and mother Bridget Thomson. All well again  ;)

Notice that Bridget Thomson is showing as deceased by 1903. I think Hugh Cairns died in Camlachie in 1895.

John and Charlotte's son, Hugh Holt Thomson, I wonder if middle name Holt connects to Susan's family. Holt surname not that common in Scotland.

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Diana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Saturday 19 June 21 20:40 BST (UK) »
18 July1919 marriage of John Thomson to Lavinia French Armstrong Charlotte's name was Thomson.
Fulkes/Fulks/Fulke. Yates, Ashton,Gamage, Jefkins,Lowen, Pooley,Colcock, Bellchambers, all London, Surrey, Sussex Middlesex
Jones, Reece, Granger, Treherne, Worrall Ward, Weeks, Morrey,Thomas, Owen, Dorsett, Hinton all started out in Shropshire

Offline Diana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Thursday 24 June 21 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 Chrlottes name on John and Lavinia's Marriage cert WAS Thomson
Fulkes/Fulks/Fulke. Yates, Ashton,Gamage, Jefkins,Lowen, Pooley,Colcock, Bellchambers, all London, Surrey, Sussex Middlesex
Jones, Reece, Granger, Treherne, Worrall Ward, Weeks, Morrey,Thomas, Owen, Dorsett, Hinton all started out in Shropshire

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Thursday 24 June 21 16:24 BST (UK) »
Maybe John didn't know his mother had re-married or just gave the registrar wrong info

Offline Diana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Sunday 27 June 21 18:13 BST (UK) »
I'm coming to the conclusion only she knows  ;D

Offline tonycairnsnzatgmailcom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Monday 08 April 24 07:45 BST (UK) »
[Cairns Doole.FTW]  Signed her Marriage certificate with an X - she could not write   Bridget was a short squat little woman who spoke with a broad Scottish accent  Because of letters from Scotland asking for money, Bridget stopped contact with her Scottish relatives  Louisa her daughter left school at 10 to look after her mother father and family according to her daughter Jocelyn as told to K M Patrick    Mervyn Mathiasen  44 Wilton Rd.  Papatoetoe.  11/9/1983    Dear Mrs K Patrick,    I thought I should clear up the little confusion re the mother of Bridget Cairns. Ann's birth certificate gives her mother as Bridget Cairns, and her birthplace as Ireland. The 1871 census for this area of Glasgow follows:    1871 census for Crown St. Glasgow 64410 Book 14 Schedule 72 at Old Toll house.    Mary Hollachan  Head widow 50 Born Ireland  Jane Hollachan  Daughter  16    " Glasgow  Elizabeth Hollachan Daughter  7    "  Glasgow  Patrick Cairns  Son in law 30    " Glasgow  Bridget   Daughter  29   " Ireland  James   Grandson 11   " Glasgow  Agnes  Granddaughter  3 Months " Glasgow      Bridget's marriage certificate gives her mother as Agnes Craig    I  have never written to Scotland to try and solve this riddle but would suggest the birth details of the  youngest daughter as best bet.    Yours faithfully            Mervyn Mathiasen

Yes I have checked the death's for her.
Marriage to patrick Cairns
16 Sep 1867 • St John's Catholic Chapel, Portugal Street, Hutchesontown, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Bridget Duffy
(1840–1916)

1 Source

Bridget Duffy
1840–1916
BIRTH 12 FEB 1840 • Armagh, Armagh, Northern Ireland
DEATH 18 JAN 1916 • 26 High Street, Petone, Wellington, New Zealand
2nd great-grandmother

Offline tonycairnsnzatgmailcom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Monday 08 April 24 07:46 BST (UK) »
hi diana
this is our direct ancestor and our grgrmo and our grgrfa so please contact us about heer best wishes
tony cairns in new zealand